Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Green Goblin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Schoneveld

David Schoneveld

Novice

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

This isn't really supposed to be the green goblin from the Spiderman world. I'm thinking more of a goblin mage or some sort of interesting fantasy character that will be in a in game engine diorama with a dragon (in progress in maya) maybe more, but first goal is static characters in game. I'd love some critiques. His upper chest will be somewhat visible but he'll be clothed. I'll probably make his hands and feet as separate objects.
Posted Image

#2 angelia

angelia

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

Looks good so far,hope to see your dragon. :D

#3 TimmyZDesign

TimmyZDesign

Apprentice

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:3D Generalist

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

Good start!
Some of the underlying anatomy is a bit odd (the jugular vein area, and the muscles at the top of the back for example), but I don't know how much similarity to human anatomy you are going for. I've noticed though that the closer sculpts on the forums look like realistic anatomy, the better they are generally received (unless they are very obviously stylized like a cartoon or something). So if realism is what you are going for, another thing I would suggest is that the eyeballs are too large...you can't see his eye sockets very well...the eyeballs should be smaller and suspended in the middle of the eye sockets. Just some suggestions, but overall it is looking pretty cool so far!
Intel Xeon W3570 (4 core @ 3.2GHz) 6 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1GB GPU memory, CUDA, OpenGL)
Windows Vista Professional 64-bit
1st display is Wacom Cintiq 21UX (2nd Gen) (1600 x 1200)
2nd display is ASUS VE245H (1920 x 1080)

#4 johnnycore

johnnycore

Novice

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Houdini
    C++
    C#
    Python
    Anatomy
    Rigging

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Nice start!

Do you happen to be THE David Schonenveld? AKA Agent Fx?
If so: I've been a big fan of your work, loved your Maya fluid sims and it inspired to get me into Maya Fluids.. :)

I also used to follow your blog for a while.. :)
Johnny

Desktop: Intel core i7 2600k 4GHZ, nvidia GTX 560Ti 2048MB, 16GB DDR3 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64
Sony VAIO Laptop - Intel core i5 520M 2,4GHZ, nvidia GT330M 1024MB, 8GB DDR 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ohnnycorebrieee

#5 David Schoneveld

David Schoneveld

Novice

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

the jugular vein area, and the muscles at the top of the back for example, the better they are generally received (unless they are very obviously stylized like a cartoon or something). So if realism is what you are going for, another thing I would suggest is that the eyeballs are too large...you can't see his eye sockets very well...the eyeballs should be smaller and suspended in the middle of the eye sockets.

Thanks Tim, good notes. Jugular was an accident as it split when a heavy stroke and I was like hmm, thats kinda neat how its wrong. hah. and I went for a subtle change. The only reference I looked at was for the ear, so I could probably go back with neck and trap reference. The style I love is a bit cartoony, my favorite art out there right now is in DOTA2. Detailed but cartooy-stylized. I do think I could make the eye sockets bigger to accommodate the huge eyes, and possibly push the eyes back a bit.

Hah and yes Johnny I am agent FX. I've been working on switching to making games on the side instead of FX. Been helping my friend on his project then almost now, onto something new. All a learning experience, getting good at content creation pipeline. I have the Maya>mudbox>topogun>vray light baking>Maya rig/anim>FBX>Unreal pipeline down, but I wasn't sculpting in mudbox, just texturing (retopo friends models). I wanted to refine and be able to get higher detail end results on my own, also needed a hard surface tools that z & mudbox don't have. and here I am! hah.

#6 johnnycore

johnnycore

Novice

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Houdini
    C++
    C#
    Python
    Anatomy
    Rigging

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Cool!!

Good to see you on the 3DCoat forum!
So no more FX in the (near) future? I really loved your tests, it really inspired me to do fluid sims at first I used Maya fluids but now I made a switch to Houdini.. its absolutely amazing so if you're bored one day I recommend you to check that out.. :)

Are you using 3DCoat for hardsurface only now?
Johnny

Desktop: Intel core i7 2600k 4GHZ, nvidia GTX 560Ti 2048MB, 16GB DDR3 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64
Sony VAIO Laptop - Intel core i5 520M 2,4GHZ, nvidia GT330M 1024MB, 8GB DDR 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ohnnycorebrieee

#7 TimmyZDesign

TimmyZDesign

Apprentice

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:3D Generalist

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

Thanks for the DOTA 2 link David! Very cool style! I like it too! The guy at the beginning of the trailer has a great face. Big nose, tiny eyes...it works really well.
Intel Xeon W3570 (4 core @ 3.2GHz) 6 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1GB GPU memory, CUDA, OpenGL)
Windows Vista Professional 64-bit
1st display is Wacom Cintiq 21UX (2nd Gen) (1600 x 1200)
2nd display is ASUS VE245H (1920 x 1080)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users