#21 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

You got it... :drinks:

This statement in this part of your post is little off for your information "and at the same times creates a normal map style effect on the low poly mesh."
It creates the displacement map, plus you get to export a normal map based off the displacement to boot.

The texture baking tool being broken in the retopo room is not good as it frustrate new users who are unaware of the problem.

Also just to make it clear when you merge (bake) from the retopo room to the paint room in the normal way, there is no need to use the Texture baking tool as yours maps are already baked plus they are already bake in the other way I described to you.

I nearly always export my baked textures using ( textures / export/ choosing the diffuse, normal or displacement) I like it the most because I get to name the files the way I want to...

Anyway glad ya got it figured out... B)

#22 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

This statement in this part of your post is little off for your information "and at the same times creates a normal map style effect on the low poly mesh."
It creates the displacement map, plus you get to export a normal map based off the displacement to boot.

Yes the mid-poly carcass mesh definitely gets displaced, but the low poly mesh doesn't. Rotating my test mesh so I could see displaced areas edge on showed nothing was actually changing physically on the low poly mesh, hence why I said it looked similar to a normal (aka bump) map. Whether it actually is a normal map or not I do not know since there doesn't seem to be a normal map layer like you get with the other method (just Layer 0 and Layer 1 which isn't very descriptive lol). Anyways thanks for helping me out. Much appreciated! :)

4.1.10 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

#23 JPWestmas

JPWestmas

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

The retopo room texture bake is not working.

Edit: oh, ok I'll try through the paint room I guess.

#24 JPWestmas

JPWestmas

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

ok that was easier, I'll have to do more tests to confirm but the displacement map I get out of importing the low poly as a micro-vertex paint mesh (in the paint room) and then loading the Big mesh on top of that seems to do the trick. Just export the displacement and I do get some results this time.

Thanks for the Help!

#25 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yes, I forgot to mention, my mistake, you need to choose a mid-polygon carcass mesh for the best results when importing the low-polygon mesh into the paint room.
3DCoat chooses a mid-polygon mesh by default. When you export your model just export the real low-polygon model not the mid-polygon carcass mesh or if you prefer you can export the mid-polygon mesh depending upon if your are using the model for just rendering or animation.

#26 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Looks like there are some problems here in the method I gave you as well in the newer beta versions of 3DCoat for creating a good displacement map. I will have to test an older version. The method I gave you was great but now it produces a displacement map I can barely see using grey base and choosing black base the tif displacement files are not good at all.

#27 JPWestmas

JPWestmas

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Well I always get best displacement results (when generating the map and at render time) with a mid-level sub-D carcass/cage mesh. So depending on the render engine or animation tool performance it's really nice to be able to choose the carcass resolution like this. So glad computers are faster these days for animation though.

Looks like there are some problems here in the method I gave you as well in the newer beta versions of 3DCoat for creating a good displacement map. I will have to test an older version. The method I gave you was great but now it produces a displacement map I can barely see using grey base and choosing black base the tif displacement files are not good at all.

Yeah, it looked a little light when i generated the map too. What's up with that?

#28 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

It's time for me to do some serious bug reporting as it looks like 3DCoat has developed some real problems with displacement map generating in the betas through some of the methods available to us... I will do it in the next few days hopefully...

#29 JPWestmas

JPWestmas

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Ok, thanks, I'll see what I can dig up doing a comparison with 3.5-27-A, I remember getting excellent displacement results with it.

#30 JPWestmas

JPWestmas

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

So in 3.5 I imported a big mesh and then went over to the retopo tab and did a texture bake there. I got a little bit deeper and better defined Displacement map over there than I did in the paint room. What I noticed is that I got a nice long baking progress bar. Didn't get that progress bar over in 3.7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users