Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Suggestion: Template Based Retopology

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ckinard

ckinard

• 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi All,

First off, great job with 3D Coat! It is such a great program for ZBrush and point cloud retopology, our team absolutely loves working in it. There is however a feature that I'd really like to see in future versions of 3D Coat and that is templating.

One of our biggest challenges when working with sculpts or point cloud faces is transferring the look and feel over to our base face that will be used in game. It can be very time consuming and tedious to fit the base face to the proportions of the sculpt or point cloud face. And since we need to share meshes for morphing we can't just create a custom topology for each new face. What we would like is a way to load up our base face and fit it to the sculpt. Here is an example from an existing product:

As you can see, the user picks matching points from the base head to the sculpt and then the base mesh is fitted. I think that this would be an amazing addition to the retopology tools in 3D Coat!

Thanks,
Corey Kinard
Art Director/Technical Artist
STTC - Prototype Integration Facility
University of Central Florida - Contractor

#2 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

It may not require too much a stretch as all faces share the same features and an adjusment cage of conrol points would get it close enough for surface snapping.

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#3 3DArtist

3DArtist

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

+1
This could speed up character creation also. Sculpt a character then click on key points on the sculpt and matching points on a base mesh and retopology is pretty much done.

Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

web: gregcopin.com

#4 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

+1 Anything that makes retopology easier and more efficient will always get a vote from me. :)

4.1.12 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users