Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Daniel Tynan: Character Modeling for Animation

character modeling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Tynan

Daniel Tynan

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:windsurfing, meditation, cycling, virtual reality

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

My first character (well 2nd if you count the rat character I made following that excellent tutorial).

.I'm wondering how to create a low poly animation version of him while preserving the details of the voxel sculpt as a displacement map?? As it is I know that when I retopo the low poly version I'm going to lose all those details like wrinkles on the pants and coat pockets . .

Daniel

Attached Thumbnails

• FishFootmanWIP_02.png

#2 johnnycore

johnnycore

Novice

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Houdini
    C++
    C#
    Python
    Anatomy
    Rigging

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

If you make a retopo mesh in the retopo room you can merge your retopo mesh into the per pixel paint room which creates normal maps from your voxels, or you can merge into PTEX or Microvertex Painting which will generate a displacement map on the fly.
Per Pixel Painting and Microvertex Painting require some UV's though, but you can create them in the Retop room as well.

If you think I was quite vague I would like to explain it more in depth... :)
Johnny

Desktop: Intel core i7 2600k 4GHZ, nvidia GTX 560Ti 2048MB, 16GB DDR3 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64
Sony VAIO Laptop - Intel core i5 520M 2,4GHZ, nvidia GT330M 1024MB, 8GB DDR 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ohnnycorebrieee

#3 Daniel Tynan

Daniel Tynan

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:windsurfing, meditation, cycling, virtual reality

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

So could I not just convert this voxel sculpt to high poly. . paint it and then save the textures and displacement maps . . .. . Then use my original voxel sculpt in the retopo room to create the low poly topology correct version for animation. And then I just put those saved maps onto this new low poly version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users