#1 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

Hi folks,
I made a model in 3DC for use in C4D.3DC.png

The normal and displacement maps I exported had the following effects:Normal.png

Displacement.png

My question is, can I export decent maps like I have done many times before? The displacement looks like broken phong and the normal map creates seams where there are none.UVW.png

The color map saved they way that is expected. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Tony

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#2 johnnycore

johnnycore

Novice

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Houdini
    C++
    C#
    Python
    Anatomy
    Rigging

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi Tony,

Have you tried turning on the "sub polygon displacement" button in C4D?
Sub Polygon Displacement subdivides your mesh before displacing it, I usually turn it up to 2 times.

You should also try turning on "round geometry" which helps getting rid of those blocky shapes.

I hope this helps.. :)
Johnny

Desktop: Intel core i7 2600k 4GHZ, nvidia GTX 560Ti 2048MB, 16GB DDR3 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64
Sony VAIO Laptop - Intel core i5 520M 2,4GHZ, nvidia GT330M 1024MB, 8GB DDR 1333mhz, Windows 8 Beta x64 - Linux Fedora 18 x64

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ohnnycorebrieee

#3 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi tony nemo.
Can you post a sample of displ map?
How did you bake it? If I recall correctly, it's possible via MV mode only!
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#4 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi Johnny,

thanks for the tip! I was using SBD but "RoundGeometry" cleaned it up. But the image quality isn't improved over the straight color channel so I don't need the the render time hit.

Michalis: I guess your right but the menu in the paint room shows "Export >Displacement Map", etc This had no effect on the appearence of the model in C4D except when it was improperly employed by me. When I did it correctly, there was no discernable difference, with or without. The normal map again doesn't do anything except provide unwanted seams where none occur in the UV map.

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users