3DCoat Forums

my wip

chingchong

• Advanced Member

Start my WIP, hope that keeps me to be motivated to make decent image in the end, since it is only a hobby for me.

I'm starting with my gorilla, head was posted also by me in a different topic (now with slightly modifications ). I will try to give him a better neck and extremities. Also a fur is planned to be done in Blender.

Critics and tipps are welcome :)

thanks Peter

post-9328-0-10466100-1330814997_thumb.jp

post-9328-0-75088400-1330814997_thumb.jp

post-9328-0-36414400-1330814998_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Looking great so far. So you will retopo for posing before the fur? My curiosity wonders what size the file is , whether you worked low to high polys -started off with primitives -used curves for the limbs - that kind of thing? Always curious to read other users findings.

• Advanced Member

@all: Thank you all for the kind words,

@Candy-floss Kid.

what do you mean with size? I basically started with the head deforming a primitive sphere (i think it was the smallest one) and then increase the resolution step by step up to 6x. The torso was mostly using curves at lowres and going up for detailling (for arms i used human reference, only kinda stretched). Hands and feet are the one with the greatest resolution (7x).

All on seperate layers (head, torso, hand, foot).

I did the typical gorilla quadruped pose also, but i found out,that it wont giving me the opportunity to repose/ rig it.

Yes, i need to retopo, but that would be the first one for me, hehe. So i didnt have motivation for that until now, since i dont know if to retopo the seperate layers or retopo a merged body.

Cheers

Peter

• Advanced Member

Thanks Peter, it's great to read how you worked on this.

Here's video no1 on a great series on vimeo with regard retopo by Eric Kunzendorf - as Eric points out think of retopo like a puzzle that needs solved quietly and all should go well for you. Jump in and learn on the job , the other tips and tricks you will pick up with further experience. The one thing you notice is how Eric splits the retopo task into logical sections of the face first in consideration of the edgeloop flow. Much voodoo is talked with regard retopo which can be scary - be not afraid it'll come to you easier than you might imagine I am sure.

Voxel layers would be fine btw - more importantly is whether while working you want to separate parts of the mesh into retopo groups / layers to make your life easier.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Peter, it's great to read how you worked on this.

Here's video no1 on a great series on vimeo with regard retopo by Eric Kunzendorf - as Eric points out think of retopo like a puzzle that needs solved quietly and all should go well for you. Jump in and learn on the job , the other tips and tricks you will pick up with further experience. The one thing you notice is how Eric splits the retopo task into logical sections of the face first in consideration of the edgeloop flow. Much voodoo is talked with regard retopo which can be scary - be not afraid it'll come to you easier than you might imagine I am sure.

Voxel layers would be fine btw - more importantly is whether while working you want to separate parts of the mesh into retopo groups / layers to make your life easier.

thank you for pointing out that series, didnt know it before. Will try it out.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Yes, you can do a lot of lower polygon sculpting in surface mode. One of my favorite ways of doodling as you can get a good amount of detail even on a low polygon model. Using both surface and liveclay brushes...

A question, I noticed the triangulated mesh, You do not use (remove stretching) for the surface mode brushes?

• Contributor

Good approach. :) Crude surface mode form is a good thing,not a bad thing ,you will get better working this way,it already shows in your sketch.

and I also agree about Remove stretching,it resamples the mesh and disturb the details,especially at lower polycounts,IMO its good to be used only when extruding big parts like neck and arms ect...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

thanx L'ancien regime,

could use that on my gorilla project, which i will probably rework sometime.

and also thanx artman for your comment on posting #24

i refined my posting #24

it has now 800k tris.

it should work with ca. 200k also, but i experienced mesh explosions during the use of LC-tools :mad::wacko: , so only way for me, was to move to voxels at 800k. I lost some real fine details, but i had to die one death anyway :(

qrrq3.png

• Reputable Contributor

Can someone please ban this damn bot ? Sorry to be that harsh but this is getting ridiculous just look at his posts for god sake...

This should also be done for anyone having f0x r3nderfarm (not putting a flag for you stupids) sigs...spammers again.

(this non contributing post will self destruct after actions have been taken)

I think this statement is awesome. Great works....color smells just fast enough. :D