Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Opacity/Transparency Control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Kearney

John Kearney

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Nesting objects inside one another with any kind of precision is pretty difficult right now - especially if you're not using base geometry created in another package. I would love to be able to change the opacity of an object to make it easier to accurately place objects in relation to one another. For example, creating organs or a bone structure inside an animal, or perhaps just assessing the intersection of two objects more clearly before performing a boolean operation.

I believe this would be an awesome addition to 3D Coat, and generally help speed up numerous processes.

Cheers,
John

#2 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

I modified a base shader with 50% opacity for this type of scenario, but it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped for. Would be helpful to have a slider as you stated.

#3 3DArtist

3DArtist

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

There is an Opacity slider in the shader settings of most shaders. Is this what you're looking for?

Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

web: gregcopin.com

#4 John Kearney

John Kearney

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help! I wasn't aware of the opacity control within the shader so that goes some way to providing the functionality I am looking for.

I just made a head model semi-transparent and tried to sculpt on various objects within the head. It seems 3D Coat doesn't like the fact I'm trying to sculpt on nested objects (even though the head mesh isn't the active layer). Do you guys know if there's a way around this problem?

If not, it'd be great if one could somehow lock an object layer or disable it (whilst keeping it visible).

Cheers!

#5 3DArtist

3DArtist

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Do you guys know if there's a way around this problem?

If not, it'd be great if one could somehow lock an object layer or disable it (whilst keeping it visible).

I don't think there is a way around it yet.
+1 for layer lock.

Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

web: gregcopin.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users