Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1786 replies to this topic

#1141 moska

moska

Novice

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

thanks Andrew
waitting mac build!
@Psith:i like your icons a lot,lots of work of course
in general,diferent perspectives should melt for the best
but then its been in the hands of a small group of decision and not users like me
and looks fair that i just coment after its done
anyhow it looks simple in other programs to change default icons for custom ones (ive done it in mac)

my big point here is:
first study the diagram,the workflow,the architacture and stream and perfect it
then agree on the simbols,colors ,readabillity
FORM /SUBSTANCE
make it simple
thanks

#1142 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

Private discussions are usually regarded as such. Any discussions, images associated with those discussions, etc. from the private forum were explicitly asked to be kept private. That's for everyone involved in the private forum.

Further, let's keep this professional.

Thanks.

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#1143 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

"Important fix: brushing quality improved - more correct handling of backfaces"
Thanks Andrew, so far in my testing this has solved the negative pulling effect on the surface mesh (backfaces) when using LC brushes plus the quality of the strokes have improved as well.

I will do deeper testing but everything seems to be working correctly now... :good:

The small tears fix with surface mode brushes (remove stretching enabled) and now this fix makes LiveClay and regular Surface Mode brushes really a pleasure to use.

#1144 jedwards

jedwards

Novice

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

I am hoping that the new space bar pop-up menu will also have the option of disabling all the icons and allowing one to revert to the original sized text only buttons. While it was nice to be able to disable the icons on the left menu and essentially keep it the same as it was, I was a bit disappointed to see this doesn't carry over to the space bar menu. This is my primary method of accessing brushes in 3dcoat - in fact I turn off the left menu since it is redundant and eats up space. Now it looks like I'll be using that again and ignoring the space bar until this is resolved. Sorry to all who put hard work into the icons, I'm just not a fan of this new direction and would like to be able to revert back to what worked just fine previously, as quickly as possible. If this is already possible, that's great! I just couldn't find the option to make it so. I think I'd much rather have an option to build my own custom popups and populate them with tools I actually use, and have them look the way I like (as simple as possible). This is how I use modo as well - pretty much entirely custom keybinds and pie menus - no icons.

#1145 jedwards

jedwards

Novice

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Also, what's with the private forum? Are we at the point now where a chosen few are directing where 3dcoat is heading? That's a bit disconcerting and disappointing - especially if it affected the direction of this new GUI. An entire community of people helped bring 3dcoat to where it is today, not a select few.

#1146 b33nine

b33nine

Novice

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm having problems using the low poly proxy mode in voxel room. I click it and it jumps to the proxy and then right back to voxels almost instantly, and when I finally get it to go into the proxy mode I then can't get it back to voxels. Am I doing something wrong or is it a new bug?

#1147 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hi,

It's more or a less a testing ground for builds so that they are a little more flushed out before hitting the public. With regards to the new UI, yes, we did have a select few people give ideas to Andrew, but don't think that those select few "control" everything. Andrew decides, as always, what he likes and wants to use.

EDIT: And precisely what Beat said above.

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#1148 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

@ JedWards I do get where your coming from its an option that needs to be added. But please Read the whole thread its been requested. Also is the change really that profound. I don't think its changed direction at all. it just has a bit more consistent dressing. Im not justifying anything here i just want constructive feedback. [Edit] sorry Andrew needs constructive feedback.
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#1149 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

The blender at a angle type icons I give my vote for as they are easy to read in an icon fashion.

The grayscale color could be replaced with another one, Maybe a desaturated red tone or brown tan tone. Not too dark of course.

The reason for this is that grayscale is more prone to getting blown out depending upon your monitor's brightness settings... The whites in the icon can over power the small icon and you lose definition.

On a side note, as Michalis mentioned, you can now render 3DCoat's vertex colors (polypainting) in Blender's Cycles.

For your vertex colors (painting) to show up:

Export as a ply not a obj and add the attribute node connecting it to the diffuse BSDF shader.

Under the object's data panel / vertex colors/ name/Col. Copy Col and paste or type that name into the attribute node's name box. That's it...

Thanks Michalis for sharing with us all this information...

#1150 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Quick Test -

Bigger_Icon.png
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#1151 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

I can read this icon much better in the left panel and the larger icon that pops up is really easy to read. The grayscale with the darker gray and dull gloss works better and will work better across many monitor brightness settings. I would still consider testing using a icon with color with dull gloss also and get some feedback on it. Maybe the grayscale next to a couple colored ones and see what one users like the most... All in all LJB looking much more readable... :good:

#1152 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

@LJB
:yahoo:
Very nice! A little closer grab, perhaps.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#1153 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Looking good! I like your older (3.7.12a-d) ones, and the newer ones.

#1154 Markus F.

Markus F.

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Drawing, 3D-Graphic, Movies

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:23 AM

Looks Interesting, not to heavy changes but welcome ones in terms of the Interfacelook.
Are this only possible suggestions or will they flow into the new ui design?
I like the icons and the popup. :)

regards
Markus
Windows xp64
Amd x6 3.0GHZ
8 Gigb Ram
GF 4600 Gtx 2GB

C4D r11.5 Studio
FinalRender stg2 R1
3DC v3.5

#1155 Gravin

Gravin

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

Just figured out how to switch between the different icon sizes. I actually like the 3 column layout a lot. Reasonable use of screen space and tool tips remind me what is what if something isn't clear. Very polished feel overall.

#1156 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,602 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

Quick Test -

Bigger_Icon.png

Yes, I like it a lot. Some icons really need some changes because they are too similar. With this preview it is more easy task.

#1157 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Interests:Henri Corbin
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

Quick Test -

Bigger_Icon.png

I like it a lot and it doesnt look like a copy of Blender icons either.
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget
"The Wind In the Willows", Chapter 7 "The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn"

#1158 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Icon test looks good!

I just noticed something odd. In the new Spacebar popup you can drag icons to the Quick Access area which is great. But oddly if you wiggle the Quick Access icon with your mouse they disappear. I keep doing this by accident with my stylus and have to keep re-adding them.

Video:
http://screencast.com/t/swfsBJGSzU

Also I agree, it would be nice if resizing the side bar icons would also resize them in the popup.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#1159 PalSan

PalSan

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

LJB Yes,test icon is very nice!

#1160 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I don't have a problem with drag and drop in other programs. But the main question is, why are the disappearing?
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users