Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1786 replies to this topic

#1101 jamie

jamie

Novice

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Can't wait to try this, and the new UV tools... any idea when the linux build will be ready?

#1102 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Interests:Henri Corbin
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Here is my feedback regarding new Ui:

Pros:I really like the "design" of the icons...they are very clear as what the tool is supposed to do (ex:Cell hide vs hide.)
Excellent job on that side of thing.They are all very well represented ...except Move tool which looks more like a smudge and is not so clear ..I think the icon should be a sphere from which we clearly see a part which has been moved/dragged.Just my opinion:)
(btw I think Fill and Smooth icons are inverted.)

Cons:I really dont like the "shading" of the icons.
They need a little specular(like zb/mb) some icons are very hard to see the stokes on the sphere.
(ex:LC Crease which hard to see or LC flatten which looks like a sphere.)
Just a little specular kick would be perfect .

as a user I am very pleased :the Preset system works great and it can be docked so I just have to hide the default tool bar.
In all,VERY GOoD JOB!!! Andrew and LJB.Congrats!! V4 is taking shape! :)
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget
"The Wind In the Willows", Chapter 7 "The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn"

#1103 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

@Artman

Noted I will take another look with different material.
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#1104 marupura

marupura

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

What a cool update! :yahoo: Thanks Andrew and LJB.
I hope just one thing. I wanna be able to reduce Quick access scale. It's too big for my laptop.
big_Qacc_panel.jpg
Btw, Preset panel is very useful!!

#1105 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Great Job on the new update. The small tears in surface mode with reduce stretching enabled seems fixed. Will test some more. Some of the brush icons are hard to see what kind of effect they will have based upon the icon. It leaves one major problem still, the negative effect of the LC brushes on thinner areas of the surface mesh. The bug makes it hard to work on thinner areas of your surface mesh using the LC brushes... This is very easy to reproduce as shown in the video on this thread, 3rd post down. The video states the general brush but it effects all LC brushes some more some less... http://3d-coat.com/f...=9792&st=40

#1106 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

To said it will never be fixed, is not a good thing... This was not a problem till the new brush routine. I use created LC brushes a lot plus the default ones. This would effectively disable using them without always thinking ok, I can brush this way but not this way... Mud2 with zero noise is good but I should not be limited to using it for only thinner areas of the mesh...

Why have the LC brushes and always have to think ok I can only used them in a certain way. Again this was not a problem till the new brush routine... I think it can be fixed for the new brush routine but only Andrew knows for sure. He has not commented either way up to now...

Edit: The InflateClay brush also is not clearly stamping the alpha as before the new brush routine. This is also discussed in the brush improvement thread...

I am not trying to distract from the new look and more artist friendly UI but the above issues are very important also. To be able to quickly stamp small clearly define details in the surface mesh was a big plus with the LC dynamic tesselation...

I will make a couple more troubleshooting videos for Andrew comparing the differences for both issues in the next week or so...

#1107 geo_n

geo_n

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Just to clariffy because I'm using older build. So we can't install this new build and use an older build together in one machine because the xml settings will be overwritten even if the new build is installed in a different folder?

#1108 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi Geo!

Yes if you have this build installed with another older build (Pre 3.7.12), that older build will have some very different UI portions. I didn't experience any weirdness as far as functionality goes, simply and only UI elements were different. I can't say that you wont have any functionality problems, as I didn't fully explore everything. :)

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#1109 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:07 AM

How does this feel?

890.png
Posted Image

#1110 run

run

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

New GUI notes

-The "Borders" tab in Preferences seems to be a list of controls for a brightness multiplier
function. Though some of them affect an area rather than a border. For example, setting
"DockedAdjustment" to zero will turn the background of all docked panels to black.

Unfortunately there appears to be a one of these modifiers affecting Theme>Edit Area Color that causes an
unwanted darkening and doesn't have a control that's directly available to the user. You can control it using
Borders>InputFieldAdjustment, but if you set that value to 1, it's much darker than the selected color, so
something else is messing with it under the hood.

Another problem; Borders>InputFieldAdjustment affects both Theme>Edit Area Color and what should be
Theme>Edit Area Border Color.

I say "what should be" because Theme>Edit Area Border Color now only affects a line under the text next to
the edit area not it's surrounding border.

-The Edit Area Highlight is broken (Tool highlighting works fine)

-There's a drop shadow around the edge of the 3D viewport, hopefully there will be an option to turn this off

-Re:Icons. I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a stick in the mud here say I generally don't like them. When they're
large enough to be legible they take up too much real estate. (As marupura, noted with the quick access panel)
But Icons do work great in certain places, like the "E" panel. so I hope we'll have the ability to turn them off per area;
i.e. side menu, quick access, "E" panel, etc.

-Jeff

#1111 Gravin

Gravin

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

How does this feel?

890.png

I think the fill icon should have one or two of the carve lines unfilled or only slightly filled. I think this icon with the text "Fill" under it relieves some of the ambiguity but the image alone isn't as informative as it could be. Everything else is looking nice.

On a completly different topic, is there anyway we could change the icon size for the main toolbar. It was kind of jarring for me not having the whole list of tools visiable and having to collapse sections to navigate down the list and I have 1200x1600 display. I'm not saying they have to be hard coded as smaller but maybe an option to adjust the size in the preferences?

#1112 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Interests:Henri Corbin
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

How does this feel?

890.png

Much better!!
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget
"The Wind In the Willows", Chapter 7 "The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn"

#1113 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

Definitely should be able to set size of them via some preference I think. I'd very much like to see separate instance for menu, quick panel (with separate pref for quick access icons). Icons can help with accessibility and equally this type of icon offers nothing if too small. I think maybe if we have the icons going smaller or removed maybe maybe a 64x64 icon in the tool tip? With the description??

I do understand though the need for accurate resizing of both the icon for quality and the menus size for uniformity.

Also some people prefer text only. but I feel an the option for icons or text in the quick panel should be separate and not tied to the text only menus. Some people might like text buttons but find icons helpful in the quick panel.

Yep borders need re addressing would either to be hard coded and offer less tweaking or give user access to everything with all separate elements for a completely customisable UI. Things are shared and names could be better, we can work on that.

Yes drop shadow around viewport is a separate element, so could be turned off.

Posted Image

#1114 Gravin

Gravin

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

Icons can help with accessibility and equally this type of icon offers nothing if too small. I think maybe if we have the icons going smaller or removed maybe maybe a 64x64 icon in the tool tip? With the description??

+1

I was thinking that right after I hit the post button, Having the icon bigger in the tooltip would be very usefull. We get the smaller size for the text button to save screen space and the tool tip icon so we can see what the tool is doing. I probably wont spend that much time in the main toolbar once I get some presets setup :wub:

#1115 run

run

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

Oh hey, just realized you can already turn off the icons on the side tool bar in the voxel room
by using a switch located just to the left of the "E" panel button. 5 different choices, Sweet!

There should definitely be similar but separate options for the quick access panel
Personally I prefer text only, though I am curious about how that would work with the quick panel presets

-Jeff

#1116 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

You can change the size of layout of the icons or go back to text for your brushes by clicking the little circle surrounded by a square next to the big T... Right now you get 5 different layouts to choose from.

Picture included.

LJB, yes you are on the right track for the icons looking better, still maybe a litte more shadow to help bring the forms out.

After doing a little testing it looks like now the LiveClay brush with the new brush routine can be used for stamping details. I will do more testing tommorrow...

Thanks guys for taking the time to work on the UI, congrats... :drinks:
Looking forward to the fine tuning...

@ run, we posted just about the same time about the same subject... B)

Attached Thumbnails

• Iconic or text.png

#1117 run

run

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

-The Edit Area Highlight is broken (Tool highlighting works fine)

This appears to have been a momentary glitch and is now working.

#1118 geo_n

geo_n

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:16 AM

Hi Geo!

Yes if you have this build installed with another older build (Pre 3.7.12), that older build will have some very different UI portions. I didn't experience any weirdness as far as functionality goes, simply and only UI elements were different. I can't say that you wont have any functionality problems, as I didn't fully explore everything. :)

Ah that is not good. I'll wait for an official stable version before installing this new revamped 3dc gui. Can't risk destroying an older build right now.

#1119 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,433 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

As for the icon size and legibility what I figured is that I would keep them at the large size for now until I get used to what each one looks like, then reduce to the smaller size.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#1120 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

This a PC users only thread?
OK, I can wait some months for a mac version, the longer it takes the better it will be.
Meanwhile, I prefer icons like this grab from blender. In fact, I find it one of the best around.

Attached Thumbnails

• BlenderUI.jpg

MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users