Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1786 replies to this topic

#1081 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

If it doesn't work, definitely backup your configs, then remove them from the 3DC user folder. You shouldn't have any problems then. Get those bug reports in!

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#1082 parel

parel

Novice

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

Very very nice! Killer job Andrew and Leigh.

#1083 jcue

jcue

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

Wow!!! The updated UI is great. I'm a sucker for pretty icons.

Great job Andrew

#1084 gbball

gbball

Novice

• PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:God, Drawing, sculpting, games, basketball, animation

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Looking pretty sweet. Good work guys!

edit: Seems a lot more polished. Do the shaders look better or is it just me? Performance in DX version is buttery smooth! I finally know how to use the blob tool and it's great. Icon helped out a lot on that one.

Better get to sleep. But I can't wait until I have some time to do a sculpt in the new build.

#1085 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,415 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

OK tried deleting both Options.xml first and Options_Presets.xml and it still crashed, BTW when I asked which i was looking in the install folder where there a lot of them. I see this is in Documents now.

I've now backed up and deleted the entire Documents/3D-CoatV3 folder and reinstalled. This time it worked so the problem was something in that folder.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#1086 randomguy_j

randomguy_j

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Oh yeah the quick access is a very welcome change to the program. This is going to make things much smoother. I am diggin the new look so far!!

#1087 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

FWIW using an older version after this one will cause UI craziness with the older version (shared configs).

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#1088 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,415 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

Sorry about duplicate posts. site got messed up while I was posting somehow. I've deleted them.

OK I think I found the problem file Options_Theme.xml. after deleting that one 3DC started OK. Everything seems correct now.

Edit: Oh damn. in the preferences panel along the top there are some tabs and some buttons but they look the same. I was mindlessly clicking them trying to switch between tabs and I reset my hotkeys. Those should be changed so there's a more obvious difference.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#1089 bocs

bocs

• 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

Bocs, If we right click the volume in the Voxtree you will find an option 'to global scale' Perform this every time after sizable scaling operation to resample back to global scale before adding new volume. usually we can see if its needed by the way the shader is lit. Basically the Volume keeps it Voxel scale and it the scaled Voxel scale that causes these problems, Though to be fair the instance where we have three primative in this way is few its handy to know.

Thanks, that did do the trick to fix this issue as a work around (to global scale)

*However for reference, the sphere primitive will be distorted if added to a transformed layer that has not been set "to global scale"....other primitives seem to respect the transform
*Minor bug, but now I know how to address it

#1090 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Sorry about duplicate posts. site got messed up while I was posting somehow. I've deleted them.

OK I think I found the problem file Options_Theme.xml. after deleting that one 3DC started OK. Everything seems correct now.

Edit: Oh damn. in the preferences panel along the top there are some tabs and some buttons but they look the same. I was mindlessly clicking them trying to switch between tabs and I reset my hotkeys. Those should be changed so there's a more obvious difference.

Tnanks for discovering! Please send me Options_Theme.xml to discover. It will be helpful to prevent crash for other peoples after UI migration.

#1091 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,415 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Tnanks for discovering! Please send me Options_Theme.xml to discover. It will be helpful to prevent crash for other peoples after UI migration.

Sent my old file to the Support address.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#1092 space

space

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Andrew and Leigh :)
The preset system is such a big help. I just have one little wish: can you please add folders for the presets like the materials tab? Since we can store so many settings, I can see this being helpful in the future for setting up different brushes.

Icons are a great addition too. I love it. Thanks again.
Some of the voxel brushes are hard to distinguish from each other but overall they are nice. I see you can easily change icons by replacing the pngs in the folder, so maybe we see some community icons/customized themes in the future. That's great :)

#1093 space

space

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

This was a discussion point, we thought it would be nice to have separators that you could place between brush groups. Folders would be nice but they induce opening/closing, separators let the user have all the options available at once without further interaction (since you can manualy sort the preset by drag and dropping them by their top left icons.)
It's noted.

Yes, seperators are a good alternative, I like that idea too. What I basically have in mind is just stepping through my workflow. For example: skin painting red/blue/yellow areas, then to the next preset to paint veins or breakup skin, then paint over/blur with the basecolor etc.. That would be possible with seperators.

I just discovered you can put presets in the quick panel as well. Nice :)

#1094 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,415 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

I had also considered that now every time Andrew comes up with a new tool Leigh (or someone) will have to come up with a new icon for it.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#1095 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

I don't mind.
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#1096 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Congratulations on the changes in the GUI!
I certainly have not yet discovered all but I overall flatter window-appearance + new application-icons looks a lot more attractive
and more consistent. These changes really make a huge difference!
While I personally quite like textual interfaces I find also the Tool-Icon-Work very nicely done.
In terms of consistency of options one might offer the familar Space-Bar Popup though, when Text-Interface is chosen.
Also the work on the Tooltips is greatly appreciated.

#1097 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

I don't mind.

That's great.
Seems that it made a lot of sense that you took care of GUI - Detailing in Future.

#1098 space

space

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

It's a great first pass, but I can assure this will be going even better next. Streamlining ui and adopting more conventional approach will make 3dcoat so much more fun to use :)

I'm very happy to read this. That's exactly what's missing or can make another difference in comparison with other programs. Working close with users/artists is the right way.
:)

#1099 carlosan

carlosan

Expert

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

• Interests:Texture Paint, Character Design, Sculpture.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

Best 3DCrelease ever !! TY! :)

note:
jumping from voxels/surface mode to paint... cant see any model to paint... room empty :huh:

#1100 carlosan

carlosan

Expert

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

• Interests:Texture Paint, Character Design, Sculpture.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

ty BK, found it B)

SHOW BETA TOOL must be activated to paint surface objects

my fault lol :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users