Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1786 replies to this topic

#981 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

I've been following the latest comments and can confirm there is a problem.

3DC options:
Brush pressure levels number = 2047
Brush sensitivity = 1
Pen depth dependent on pen pressure = On (Pen icon showing instead of mouse icon)
Brush options = All off or set to 0 except zero pressure radius (0.15) and depth modulator (1)

Wacom driver options:
Tip feel = slider in the exact middle
Tilt sensitivity = Normal

If Draw and Clay are set so that depth is dependent on pen pressure (pen icon showing) I get the blobiness others are seeing. If I set it so that the mouse icon is showing, the stroke is perfectly smooth. With LiveClay however, it doesn't matter which icon is showing and strokes come out terrible with either mode selected. My actual mouse seems to work fine though and overall performance is quite good with large brushes on high poly meshes so far as frame rate goes. It's just the quality of the stroke that seems to be off.

Another issue I'm seeing is that there doesn't seem to be any pressure variation detected at all. All pen strokes act as if I'm drawing with a mouse (ie: constant pressure). I used the Wacom Tablet Properties to check and the test bar does vary depending on how hard I press, so I know it's not a driver issue. Here are my current system specs:

3.7.11 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX460 v296.10 || Intel Core i7 875K @ 3.7 GHz || 8GB DDR2 Memory || 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro v3.15.2 || Wacom Intuos4 v6.1.7-3

PS: I've been making sure to set my levels to 2047 each time I restart 3D Coat since it doesn't seem to want to remember this setting. Hopefully others are remembering to do this too and additionally making sure the pen icon is showing and not the mouse one which could give the false impression nothing is wrong.

Edit: Attached an image of LiveClay. Left one is pen stroke, right one is mouse stroke.

Attached Thumbnails

• pen stroke stutter.jpg

4.1.10 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

#982 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

I have discovered something else...
Testing paramaters
DX version...
Draw Brush
I million polygon sphere
First brush in e-panel (radius and depth)
Make a slow brush stroke, no remove stretching enabled, no spacing, last top default alpha on right.
Result---- bumpy strokes

Now hold down the W key for wireframe mode. Keep holding down the W key as you make a slow stroke.
Result--- The stroke is improved quite a bit...

Do the same test with a medium speed stroke.

The video was interfering with the strokes a little some I am putting up screencaps...
The slow strokes on the left in the picture shown is without wireframe mode on. The right strokes are with wireframe on as I make the stroke

Same with the medium speed stroke.
The first picture shows the medium stroke speed with and without wireframe mode on while brushing.

The strokes are improved quite a bit with wireframe on when you are brushing the stroke, seen very clearly in the
medium speed stroke.

The blobbing effect pretty much goes away.
On the slow strokes on the right, the varying of the stroke is what I would consider hand jitters effecting the stroke as it does not appear on the medium stroke speed..

If someone could test and confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated...

Attached Thumbnails

• regular speed.jpg
  • Slower speed.jpg

#983 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Possibly I found reason of bumps. I will upload build to test.

#984 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Confirmed: Open GL, yes is very smooth using the draw brush...
no spacing, no remove stretching enabled
I am using a Radeon video card.

Edit. When you make your brush radius small the bumps do return somewhat... Larger radius works better....

Edit 2 It appears a little buggy, I was starting to get some bumps on larger strokes and light pressure creating more bumps...

Edit 3 I tested with wireframe mode on while brushing and in the GL version your brush strokes are improved also... (see 2 post above)

OK, will wait for next upload for further testing...

#985 John Kearney

John Kearney

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

So happy that the brushes are receiving some attention! It appears that there is progress being made so I'm really looking forward to trying them out..

lol BeatKitano - thanks, although I'm so busy that I don't have a lot of time for personal work these days! Nice speed-sculpt, BTW.. :]

#986 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

@Zeddicus: About the pressure level not saving, I think this may be linked to a compatibility option in the wacom driver's panel:

Try deactivating that, saving and see if it reloads properly.

It was already off, so instead I turned it on and then ran 3D Coat afterwards. When I went into the preferences, I discovered it had changed to 1023 all on it's own lol. Pressure once again works like it's supposed to as well (ie: variable instead of constant). It seems clear to me that 3D Coat lacks compatibility with newer Wacom tablets and may partly explain why Andrew isn't seeing the same issues (Intuos3 has 1024 levels, while newer models have 2048). Hopefully this is something Andrew plans on fixing with his next release. Thanks for pointing that option out, BeatKitano! :)

PS: The 3.7.11 GL x64 version has the same bumpy brush issues here too btw, so it's not just you.

Edit: In both the DX and GL versions the problem with LC seems linked to pressure. If I make light strokes, they turn out pretty smooth. The harder I press, the worse they get though.

4.1.10 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

#987 TimmyZDesign

TimmyZDesign

Apprentice

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:3D Generalist

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yes I can also confirm that the GL version is very good right now! (version 3.7.11). I do not experience the bumpiness with this version. There is a small amount of lag with slow brush strokes however. But in general the GL version is very nice for sculpting right now! :D
If I use the DX version, I get a lot of bumpiness in various brushes in surface mode (especially the Draw brush).
Intel Xeon W3570 (4 core @ 3.2GHz) 6 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1GB GPU memory, CUDA, OpenGL)
Windows Vista Professional 64-bit
1st display is Wacom Cintiq 21UX (2nd Gen) (1600 x 1200)
2nd display is ASUS VE245H (1920 x 1080)

#988 human0id

human0id

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

GL beats the DX version by far. I have the same experience like the others above. I use a Intuos 4 with the latest drivers, v6.3.1 w3.
Something about the pressure, I get good results with the pressure compatibility checked (in the tablet properties) and a value of 1023 in 3DC's Preferences.
With pressure compatibility unchecked and a value of 32000 in 3DC's Prefs the response of the tablet is even better.

One more thing no one mentioned before, the InflateClay Brush is broken :(
You have to move your mouse or pen, otherwise the brush wont inflate. In versions before you just had to press left mouse button or press your pen down
and the brush worked. I tired everything (airbrush, use falloff, checked and unchecked), nada. Please fix it cause I like this brush. :D

Specs: i950, GTX460 v295.73, W7 SP1 x64, 3DC 3.7.11 Cuda, 16GB Ram, Intuos4 v6.3.1 w3

#989 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

New Brush improvements are a step in Right direction for sure, I have a couple of observations, Smooth seems less strong? Not sure if my sensitivity settings got a little messed up with testing new version. also I have instances when after making an alteration to size or depth (possibly even rotating model), the stroke does not want to go down on first attempt. ie when i first touch the sculpt after altering the setting nothing happens. This happens alot now in latest build.

Anyways GL does as others mention feel better until i get to higher volume resolution when i found myself switching back to DX to continue. But did enjoy sculpting with it again with better sensitivity, Keep going Andrew, Thanks for your efforts, :D

quick sculpt -

Posted Image
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#990 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Interests:Henri Corbin
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Andrew Absolute brush is presently incompatible with LC or RemoveStretching,I suggest it should reset vertex data when brush is selected instead of when user enter surface mode.
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget
"The Wind In the Willows", Chapter 7 "The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn"

#991 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Updated to 3.7.11A

Changes:

- many brushes updated:

Voxel: grow/airbrush/build
Surface: Draw/Clay/Builup/Expand/Extrude/Gum/Rapid/Rapid2/Scratches/Scratches2/Mud/Mud2
LC: LiveClay/BuildClay/CreaseClay/TubeClay/Smudge/InflateClay/FlattenClay/GeneralBrush

- Absolute brush was essentially updated - now it is compatible with LC brushes and works more smoothly in terms of surface shape.
- a bit more multithreading in LC brushes (but not completely multithreaded).

#992 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

awesome!
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget

#993 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Looking pretty nice. Thou in voxel surface mode DX and GL still gives two diffrent tablet results for me. GL beeing much better. Here is a picture.

picture.png

Also I don't know do I like it that brush pressure default was changed into "Brush pressure only affects draw depth" needs more testing...

#994 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

Wow,I am not able to reproduce dotting effect with Creaseclay even with pretty fast strokes on a an 11 mil body,its amazing feeling. :)
(I still need to set it to 200-300 depth tough).Flattenclay feels great too...smoothing also feels much faster (strange,ts not in your list of changed stuff)
On my side it very feels like the best sculpting level 3DCoat has reached since it started.I hope it will work for everybody.Its really day and night from a few days ago to me.It feels like the sculpting portion of the software made a one year leap foward...

(Now if we could make custom brushes that would be cool,brushes presently do not store anything when using Duplicate fonction:to be able to make custom brusheswe need those setthings to be stored and remembered:
interpolate on/off,Alpha(pen)+pen options,falloff,depth,radius,smoothing value,E-panel mode,Invert tool action on/off,+all brush specific settings,

#995 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Cruel Artman... still downloading.

you are the cruel one,mr. monster computer :)..with your rig I would do some serious damage using 3DC.

#996 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Also,BIg Thanx to Raul! now with Andrew's adjustements we can really see his work pay off. :)

#997 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Agree. Brushes feels a real joy to work with now. Thanks a lot Andrew and Raul.

#998 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

First impressions are the same as above, a big jump forward.... :yahoo:
More testing underway...
Now, waiting for the Linux build... ;)

#999 John Kearney

John Kearney

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Stop it folks you're making me excited and I haven't got enough time to test it out right now :P

#1000 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Big thanks! I am really happy to hear that improvements was positive.
I opened thread for brushing feedback, let us continue to discuss brushing there:

http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=9792

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users