First off, Andrew, I want to thank you. Few developers work as tirelessly as you do. Even fewer respond to criticism with such aplomb. Thanks.
That said, 3DC has been giving me nothing but headaches since v3.708. Really.
Starting with v3.708 and going all the way to v3.709, 3DC would automatically import all of my OBJ models in flat shaded mode. I had to manually click 1 go get into relief display. (Thanks to johnnycore for pointing that out.) This was what was happening by default. Knowing that I could just click 1 after import eased my misery some. It added one more step to my process, but it was totally doable. It was a bug I guess I could live with.
v3.710 and 3.710a are just so much more unpredictable though. Starting with a fresh 3DC session, importing an OBJ gives me one of 5 results:
1. Imported just fine (in relief mode, which should
be the default)
2. Imported in flat shade mode (without ever having set it to that mode, mind you)
3. Imported in some crunchy, mangled, and ill-rendered manner. No way for me to fix this other than restarting 3DC and reimporting.
4. Imported as being semi-transparent, which I can't change out of mode or fix it in the same session. I have to restart 3DC again. (Couldn't snag a pic of this. It's a totally random occurrence.)
5. 3DC just hangs.
There's no predictable pattern. I've tried it with different object, with and without UVs. Which result I get is totally random. Getting a normal, perfectly displayed OBJ does rank with low probability. I can only get a well displayed OBJ import 10%-20% of the time. It's a crap shoot.
Knowing that ATI systems can be touchy, I've tried various display drivers, but none have offered me any relief. I've even nuked my whole system, thinking that maybe THAT was corrupt. No such luck. Given how much I use 3DC, it is really disconcerting. Not to offend, but I really do feel that 3DC seems to be at fault since the problem started with v3.708. Earlier versions didn't give me such a hard time. I can roll back to v3.707a, but I don't see that as much of a solution.
My current PC setup is as follows:
- Intel Core i7 980 Extreme (6-core) @ 3.33GHz
- 24GB RAM
- ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
- Windows 7 Pro x64
I've tried just about every ATI driver version from Catalyst 11.1 to 12.3 ... ... No help.
Tried different OBJs ... ... Same results.
Tried different 3DC versions ... ... ... Only pre-v3.708 versions seem to be stable and predictable when importing and displaying OBJs.
That I'm only one of the few people this is happening to makes it that much more frustrating.EDIT>>>>> I'm using the SIMP64 versions, btw. The problem appears in both DX and GL versions.