Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1786 replies to this topic

#861 Creator

Creator

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Creator: If I understand you correctly you could just go into the Retopo room and load your object again from the Retopo menu. It should have the UVs intact I think. Then just pick "Merge to Scene (Microverts)" from that same menu. and it should send you to the Paint room with your displacement applied.

@creator
I guess, it's a hi poly model, it's a subdivided low poly after retopo and UVs.
So, we have UVs, a cage, a hi res model. Right? Do as Phil says.
Wondering though. It smells zbrush, why don't you directly bake displacements there? ZB is very good on this.

Sorry guys my English skills are poor so maybe i'll try from the beginning:

(I want to)

1) Import model with UV (surface mode).
2) Subdivide few times (with hope that my UV are preserved).
3) Sculpt something.
4) Then bake displacement map on my preserved UV, but without need of importing another mesh to retopo room.

So my question was if it is possible, to work only on my imported mesh/one mesh.

I'm familiar with Voxel workflow. I know I can import mesh => voxelize => sculpt => and then go to retopo room and import my mesh with UV and bake displacement to it. That's OK i'm working like that, but my friend asked me if it is possible to keep with one model during all process.

Maybe there is some way to put surface mesh from voxel room as retopo mesh? I'm curious :)

#862 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

I don't believe it's possible with just one model because UVs are not preserved when merging into the Voxel room. I don't see how it would make any difference though, the end result is the same. Even if the UVs were preserved there would be no way to decrease the resolution of your model since the voxel room only has increasing subdivision, not decreasing when you merge without voxilization..
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#863 tayotain

tayotain

• 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hmmmm... I cant find livecaly or voxel painting... help! i even dont see "show voxels in paint room".... ???

#864 cl-apps

cl-apps

• 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hmmmm... I cant find livecaly or voxel painting... help! i even dont see "show voxels in paint room".... ???

Go to Edit > Preferences > Show Beta Tools > OK

Should do the trick :)

#865 tayotain

tayotain

• 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Go to Edit > Preferences > Show Beta Tools > OK

Should do the trick :)

Thanks! :)

#866 geo_n

geo_n

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Should boolean affect Ghost? Now Ghost assecpt action of all tools, it is just not pickable.
I need to understand how is better.

Regarding Ghost features. Could we have this in the paintroom for the objects not just the layers?
When importing multiple objects I sometimes hide some objects. Would be great to be able to change opacity per object then lock it.

#867 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,602 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

3.7.10 (Win)

- Per-face hide tool in voxel surface mode
- CutFace in PaintRoom will hide voxel pieces too. In so way freeze/hide tools in paint room act on voxels as well.
- Ghost mode introduced - http://www.3d-coat.com/files/ghost.png
- New blendmode - Highlight emissive. Read hint there.
- new item Texture->Import->Emissive intensity
- "To center mass" and "To bound centser" in Merge tool will move gizmo instead of object.
- Free-form pose deformation quality improved a lot. Matth of transforms rewritten.
- Fixed "more on bright" issue - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=491
- fixed "improper scale issue" - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=494
- fixed "Selecting Low-Poly View breaks shading views" - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=495
- mutiple uv-sets per object in FBX export/import supported.
- resolved scaling issue - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=502
- import tiles as UV sets implemented for MV painting too.
- I made better support of smoothing groups export via OBJ files. Now groups are marked explicitly http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=493
- crash when saving subtree fixed - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=501
- small fixes: renaming models in "Models/Splines" tab fixed + dropped models from VoxTree -> Models getting more intuitive names.
- a lot of crashes fixed, so stability should be better.

Colored specular and emissive for voxels is supported only for Default shader. I want to ensure that shader works as you expect on this shader before I will do same for all shaders. So I need some feedback regarding how shader should work.

Thanks for testing and help in development!
  • Javis likes this

#868 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Smoothing groups in OBJ you star. Thank you I will test this asap.
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#869 Dirceu Franco

Dirceu Franco

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

In the Retopo room I try to retopo inside the mouth.
So I hid some parts of the face using the new tool "SurfHide".
The problem is:

The create tools from retopo room, continue snap in the surface which I hid.
This making impossible to retopo inside the mouth.

Thanks for the great release!

#870 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

You are a truly awesome developer, Andrew. I'm looking forward to testing out those smoothing groups. You've earned a great BIG thank you! :)

4.1.12 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

#871 Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

I really hate having to say this, but there is something wrong with the new smoothing group support. My current mesh has four smoothing groups assigned in 3ds Max. I imported this into 3d Coat (tried for PP and MV), then exported it without changing anything. When it's reimported into 3ds Max, it now says there are seven smoothing groups instead of four. Not only are there more than there should be, but some polygons have been combined so that they're in multiple groups. One neat thing I can do in Max is select polygons by smoothing group and when I choose SG #7 for example, the polygons that become selected show as also being in either 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 (or some combination thereof). I've tried both ways of exporting this mesh from 3D Coat (File menu and Textures menu) and both end up with the same incorrect result. I don't have access to Modo anymore so I can't test this out further unfortunately. Hopefully another user will speak up with their own results.

Edit: Performance with 3.7.10 is worse than 3.7.09. I've been working on a retopo project for the past week and had very little trouble using a 2.2 million polygon model as my reference mesh. After updating, it now stutters very badly and I can't work with it at all. Tried the GL version, got the same result. Is anyone else finding this to be the case?

4.1.12 x64 DX CUDA || Windows 7 SP1 x64 || Nvidia GTX670 v331.65 || Intel 3770K @ 4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR3-1600 || SpaceMouse Pro v10 Beta 16 || Intuos4 v6.3.7-6

#872 3DArtist

3DArtist

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Andrew!

The free-form pose is alot better but the pose tool seems to be broken with liveclay with different geometry densities.
The SurfHide is a really nice addition, but new polys pop out of hiding if liveclay is used with a higher res. It doesn't seem to break anything though.
Marking hard edges in the retopo room would be a very useful feature to go along with the additional support of smoothing group.
Adding a "use as gloss map" mode to the paint room (for voxel, ppp, mv, ptex) would really be useful also.
I was just needing a ghost mode, thanks!

Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

web: gregcopin.com

#873 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,602 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

I really hate having to say this, but there is something wrong with the new smoothing group support. My current mesh has four smoothing groups assigned in 3ds Max. I imported this into 3d Coat (tried for PP and MV), then exported it without changing anything. When it's reimported into 3ds Max, it now says there are seven smoothing groups instead of four. Not only are there more than there should be, but some polygons have been combined so that they're in multiple groups. One neat thing I can do in Max is select polygons by smoothing group and when I choose SG #7 for example, the polygons that become selected show as also being in either 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 (or some combination thereof). I've tried both ways of exporting this mesh from 3D Coat (File menu and Textures menu) and both end up with the same incorrect result. I don't have access to Modo anymore so I can't test this out further unfortunately. Hopefully another user will speak up with their own results.

Edit: Performance with 3.7.10 is worse than 3.7.09. I've been working on a retopo project for the past week and had very little trouble using a 2.2 million polygon model as my reference mesh. After updating, it now stutters very badly and I can't work with it at all. Tried the GL version, got the same result. Is anyone else finding this to be the case?

Do smoothing groups work correctly? 3DC will not preserve original indices of groups, it creates one grup per cluster of smoothed vertices. Maybe Max assigns same index fo 2 groups that don't have adjacent faces.
And it is strange regarding performance. Nothing in this area was changed. Do it works slower on the same scene?

#874 wailingmonkey

wailingmonkey

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

can someone verify if the Bake tool is working? (I'm on Vista 64-bit CUDA DX)

I've got 2 heads, exactly the same, but with different UVs on 1 that is textured...trying
to bake that texture onto the other head (as external object, and tried as a retopo for per-pixel but that
didn't work either) with proper UVs and get nothing but grey... :(

Here's a test object for anybody that can't be bothered to use their own. ;)

Have only tried (and failed) with per-pixel,,,,

Attached Files

-portfolio-

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 560ti

#875 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

No not working with per pixel, not working for me in 09A either
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#876 wailingmonkey

wailingmonkey

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

thanks for verifying, LJB! :)

just tried again with microvertex and with all possible file extensions and no joy. :(

Hope it's a quick fix and something was commented out or some such....
-portfolio-

#877 Polygoon

Polygoon

Novice

• PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Graphic art, Sailing, Fishing, Wildlife.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

I have been able to bake to PP with NM with a poly painted sculpt. Color and NM detail baked nicely. What you can see underlying is the sculpt you have made in the voxel/LC. If you switch off the visibility of the sculpt in the Voxel layer/s this makes the appearance in the paint rm. seem normal like it should.
Try switching off the visibility of everything in the Vox/LC rm. and see how it looks. If it is all good, you should be able to delete everything in the Voxel/LC rm. Then save the file with a different name so you can keep your sculpt.

I think this is because of the poly painting feature the paint rm. is tied to the Voxel/LC rm. Once you no longer need your sculpt after baking you just have to remove it from the Voxel/LC rm and every thing is back to normal.

Win.7 64 . DirectX 11.0
Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
4.0.04B1. CUDA 64
Email me

#878 marupura

marupura

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

can someone verify if the Bake tool is working? (I'm on Vista 64-bit CUDA DX)

I've got 2 heads, exactly the same, but with different UVs on 1 that is textured...trying
to bake that texture onto the other head (as external object, and tried as a retopo for per-pixel but that
didn't work either) with proper UVs and get nothing but grey... :(

Here's a test object for anybody that can't be bothered to use their own. ;)

Have only tried (and failed) with per-pixel,,,,

Hi, I tried bake in ppp.
I got good result. video ->
If it was my misunderstanding, I'm sorry.

#879 wailingmonkey

wailingmonkey

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Howdy Polygoon and marupura, thanks for your input too! :)

Polygoon, my model never went through the voxel process, this was strictly trying to bake from a model
with an imported texture and 1 UV setup, onto another external model with altered UVs.

marupura, your UV-swap technique works perfectly, thanks! (another option to solve the 'no bake' error)
It worked on my heads to just swap the UVs instead of trying to bake.

Based upon your feedback, it would seem there's still an error in the baking tool specifically with imported
textures (diffuse is all I've tested thusfar) and attempting to bake them onto external objects, though. I hope
Andrew can have a look at it, as it's handy to swap textures onto objects that may not have the exact same polycount
or point order but still be in the 'same' world space....
-portfolio-

#880 marupura

marupura

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Based upon your feedback, it would seem there's still an error in the baking tool specifically with imported
textures (diffuse is all I've tested thusfar) and attempting to bake them onto external objects, though. I hope
Andrew can have a look at it, as it's handy to swap textures onto objects that may not have the exact same polycount
or point order but still be in the 'same' world space....

I tried another test. Same world space, but different meshs baking.
import diff -> import divided mesh -> bake

Is this way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users