Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1786 replies to this topic

#621 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Updated to 3.7.05B

Changes:

- PLY export/import with vertex color. Good for color scanners and for exporting to xNormal. It is fastest way to drop mesh to xNormal.
- OBJ files with vertex color compatible with xNormal.
- restored missed control in Free form pose tool - "transform only gizmo"
- better pose selection through all volumes - works well with rooted volumes like paw with claws. Previously only one claw was selected.
- multithreading support for Hide tool and many other with rect selection

#622 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

Changes:
- PLY export/import with vertex color. Good for color scanners and for exporting to xNormal. It is fastest way to drop mesh to xNormal.

Thank you for the Update!
Instead of Color-Scanner it should be Color 3D-Printers which you now support.

#623 LorenzoS

LorenzoS

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

I've been having to re-register 3d-coat lately. Wonder what that's about:<
God is my favorite artist. He created the Heavens and the Earth!

Macbook Pro4,1 - 10.6.8 - 2gb Ram - 512mb VRAM

#624 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Off topic but useful information:

For the happy owners of a Wacom Intuos/cintiq model 4, in the preferences, ensure you put the correct number for the Brush pressure level number parameter, namely : 2047 ( ?!). This will force 3dcoat to use the full capability of your device, by default this value is 1024 level of pressure.
I just discovered that this morning after many try with the real value 2048, seing the app reseting it back to 1024 I tried that odd one, and it worked (unfortunately this setting isn't saved between session and you'll need to correct it after every restart)

With the new US beta drivers (which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone since they put back the curve adjustment which is excellent and not only in 3dcoat), 3dcoat as never been so precise regarding pressure sensitivity

:)

Super tip. This should be in the manual.

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#625 spacepainter

spacepainter

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

I have imported a mesh with a texture in the voxelroom. It is only possible using ' without voxelizing ' and I have not succeeded to make a good voxel hull using this method yet.
Artis Natura Magistra

#626 The Candy-floss Kid

The Candy-floss Kid

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

So far my initial test with 3D-Coat-V3-7-04C for the mac has brought up a strange behaviour with the default shader i.e unable to change color of the shader.
Importing the shaders folder from V3D-Coat3-7-018 resolved this issue as well as other strange shader behaviour such as blank shader preset windows.

Also

Photoshop CS5 Extended alert sign.png as well as my version of Modo 3 have an issue/ cannot import .obj exports from 3DC. They can if processed through ZBrush.
I've attached both the 3DC export of a test reduced mesh and also that of the same mesh once imported and exported out of ZBrush

Attached File  compare_obj.zip   124.14KB   74 downloads

#627 The Candy-floss Kid

The Candy-floss Kid

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:41 AM

Addendum to last post: The .obj issue is not something exclusive to this version but is carried over from earler versions also.

#628 Tser

Tser

Novice

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

No Linux version yet?

#629 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

So far my initial test with 3D-Coat-V3-7-04C for the mac has brought up a strange behaviour with the default shader i.e unable to change color of the shader.
Importing the shaders folder from V3D-Coat3-7-018 resolved this issue as well as other strange shader behaviour such as blank shader preset windows.

Also

Photoshop CS5 Extended alert sign.png as well as my version of Modo 3 have an issue/ cannot import .obj exports from 3DC. They can if processed through ZBrush.
I've attached both the 3DC export of a test reduced mesh and also that of the same mesh once imported and exported out of ZBrush

Attached File  compare_obj.zip   124.14KB   74 downloads

What about LWO? Any luck using that from 3DC?

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#630 mercy

mercy

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Andrew,

Excellent work on the new clone tool! New hope!
Could you please put paint from a photo onto a model and show the cloned result and the original photopaint beside each other?

#631 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Andrew,

Excellent work on the new clone tool! New hope!
Could you please put paint from a photo onto a model and show the cloned result and the original photopaint beside each other?

Posted Image
The difference between images is the same as when you using transform (CTRL T) tool in Photoshop - single bilinear interpolation.
  • mercy likes this

#632 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

nice one andrew dude!! =p
"Uploading 08O. But problem - no electricity now. Notebook shows 35 min to the end of power, upload - 30. Who will be the first? :)"

#633 The Candy-floss Kid

The Candy-floss Kid

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

What about LWO? Any luck using that from 3DC?

Yes Lightwave works fine.

Liveclay getting so much better each update too - great fun last night playing with Liveclay.

#634 mercy

mercy

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

The difference between images is the same as when you using transform (CTRL T) tool in Photoshop - single bilinear interpolation.

Top excellent work, Andrew!! Very good results. You made it!!!
This means clean industry advantage over:

Mudbox 2012SP3: its photo paint is slow as hell on my GTX280, Mudbox clone distorts textures with weak projection code and does not recognize CUDA cards 1GB RAM, despite workaround environment variables set)

Zbrush 4R2b: its "spotlight" 3D texture paint CANNOT paint onto lowpoly!!

MARI:the best painting tool currently requires super-expensive PC with LOTS of RAM!

#635 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yes Lightwave works fine.

Liveclay getting so much better each update too - great fun last night playing with Liveclay.

Thanks for checking!

#636 manticor

manticor

Novice

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

Depends how big a 14 million polygon model is isn't it ?
I find 14 million polys per part of model more than adequate for anything.
I like you abn but sorry dude I'm still not agreeing with you on that one
Spectrum 48k (rubber keys ) ,kempston joystick , Panasonic tape deck. Alba black and white T.V

#637 manticor

manticor

Novice

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

I think it would be a good idea to add tesselation based on resolution of projected pixels so there is no pixelation without having to go to insane tri counts.
Spectrum 48k (rubber keys ) ,kempston joystick , Panasonic tape deck. Alba black and white T.V

#638 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Pixelation on image depends not only on density but more on painting technique. Even hge res without AA will show ledder on the edge. For sharp lines on t-short ledder will be invisible at all if edge between black and yellow will be a bit more antialiased - bigger width of contour edge will be used. Also if you need some features to look sharper you may increase density locally. This is obvious advantage over just etxture painting.

#639 manticor

manticor

Novice

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

also vertex painting method needs a lot less data as only the triangles and colour are needed as opposed to the triangles ,the uvs and the texture map.

#640 MADjestic

MADjestic

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

That may be true, but this supposed "crispness" compared to texture map painting is bogus. Even on a 14 million poly object, graphics are VERY pixelated

The 'pixelated' effect that you mention is due to aliasing. Anti-aliasing techniques is a well studied subject. Rather than being upset and going on rant how this techniques is useless to you, I suggest to take a look on the bright side of things.

Good job, Andrew! Definitely something useful, especially if the painted attribute values can be exported from 3DC together with the mesh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users