• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1786 replies to this topic

#21 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the update, i have just noticed a few things testing with 3.7.01 (Win) 32bit cuda

1) In Surface/Liveclay mode on a default cube there is a odd result when you brush/click near a edge.

01.png 02.png

2) In Surface/Liveclay mode if i use the menu option Voxels > Decimate on a default cube, rather than a optimized mesh i get a broken result.

Decimate1.png Decimate2.png

3) In Surface/Liveclay mode a few of the non Livecaly tools like Draw, Buildup and Expand seem very slow and freeze up 3DC for a second or 2, most of the others seem fine however.

#22 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

@ Digital777, I confirm the broken meshed after decimating from the voxel menu. Windows 32 bit non-cuda 3.7.01 DX mode.

@ BeatKitano, Yes, on the previous version I was still getting mesh explosions even starting from a default sphere. Same thing was happening, I could work for an hour or two then blam the mesh would exploxe near the brush cursor. I have not tested the new version long enough to know if it has been fixed.

Windows 32 bit non cuda 3.7.01. LiveClay brush still does not work correctly. The brush will not build up the mesh at all. The same problem as been in the last 3 or so versions. All the linux versions work fine using the LC brush.

Edit. Default sphere. 3 move actions with the move tool, explosion... newest version...

Attached Thumbnails

• boom and blam.jpg

#23 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Windows 32 bit non-cuda 3.7.01
In the above post and this one I am enabling the beta tools plus selecting "remove stretching"
The move tool still produces random bumps and stretching.
Default sphere.
Since it happens randomly there is really no excat steps to take to reproduce the problem.
You can only get a defalut sphere and use the move tool until it happens. It seems to happen more often when symmetry is turned on and that is true for the mesh explosions as well.

I would imagine finding this bug,the mesh explosion bug and other LC bugs would drive any programmer quite mad as you have added new code into an exsiting code base

Attached Thumbnails

• Bumps.jpg

#24 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

Nice update. My early tests show the Decimate brush to be a little slow and it cauases explosions on mesh created with primitives, but I'm sure that will be improved.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#25 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

I'm starting to lose faith in liveclay. I don't want to go all negative but I get mesh explosion on my past meshes all too often to even consider it more than a toy. What should be the new step in digital sculpting looks like a poor crippled child. Legacyfix doesn't help at all, and I'm still wondering if close holes even do something except making double of surface and projecting vertices insides the infinite guts of the model. The remarkable work of Raul on smart decimate also get lost into this as liveclay doesn't work, why would I need to smarty decimate my model since I've to use only removestretching and his uniform remeshing because of liveclay issues?
That would be fine if this was due to file corruption but I'm sure I can make this happen on a new sculpt entirely in 3.7.01 after a while.
I may sound harsh but I'm not angry, just pretty sad actually and with what I've seen in the digital sculpting field this week at work I'm kinda worried about 3dcoat if those issue are not carefully looked into, I don't think liveclay stand a chance if it isn't ultra solid.
I would glady help if the 3b files weren't that big, the issue is mesh explosion doesn't occur on default sphere but after a few hours of work.

This update had only a little changes in LC. Main intention was to fix "release" problems. We will work over LC stability, it will be ultra stable. We will pay sp[ecial attention to this.

#26 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

I was just testing and noticed none of the LC tools are affected by freeze masking (except Inflate sort of). I assume this is in the works as well.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#27 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

I'm starting to lose faith in liveclay. I don't want to go all negative but I get mesh explosion on my past meshes all too often to even consider it more than a toy. What should be the new step in digital sculpting looks like a poor crippled child. Legacyfix doesn't help at all, and I'm still wondering if close holes even do something except making double of surface and projecting vertices insides the infinite guts of the model. The remarkable work of Raul on smart decimate also get lost into this as liveclay doesn't work, why would I need to smarty decimate my model since I've to use only removestretching and his uniform remeshing because of liveclay issues?
That would be fine if this was due to file corruption but I'm sure I can make this happen on a new sculpt entirely in 3.7.01 after a while.
I may sound harsh but I'm not angry, just pretty sad actually and with what I've seen in the digital sculpting field this week at work I'm kinda worried about 3dcoat if those issue are not carefully looked into, I don't think liveclay stand a chance if it isn't ultra solid.
I would glady help if the 3b files weren't that big, the issue is mesh explosion doesn't occur on default sphere but after a few hours of work.

Also, I think if explosion appeared, you may undo it. But if it continues to happen, undo and LegacyFix.
If you have ideas when it appears, it will speed up fixing.

#28 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

• Interests:3D R&D

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Ok, I'm researching the explosion issues related with LC, but don't feel frustrated my friend, is still possible that some bugs hijack your work and that's the reason why we haven't tagged that as out of alpha-beta, reports are what actually helps to get as soon as possible into a stable form so never get tired of feedback us with them, in many other configurations LC are pretty stable, the first step toward solving a problem is knowing the causes, as soon as you know them the problem is half solved, so if you find a pattern that cause the explosion issues it will help a lot!

I can confirm the slowness on sculpting over mesh generated primitives.....

#29 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Also, regarding Decimate over cube, yes, currently if the mesh has very tiny borders, like one or two polygons thick it will fail, soon I will include a fix for this, so please, currently Decimate is advisable to use on more organic surfaces... meanwhile you can use the decimate brush instead and avoid the cube borders.

#30 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

I wrote mantis report about move tool bug reported by digman. There is a video about the bug too.

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=431

#31 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

BeatKitano, When you had those mesh explosion issues do you remember did you changed between voxel/surface mode when working with your sculpt. I think that there is some
hidden bugs when doing so and using LC at the moment.

#32 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

Ok, I've found a possible cause and I may say is not directly fault of LC tools, but with some corrupted data structure after starting a new scene after being using LC in a prior scene

If I start 3DCoat from scratch and I reproduce the steps in the video from haikalle nothing happens, but if I use LC and then start a new scene the explosion will happen. so here are the steps for getting explosions:

1-start any default scene and add few LC strokes,
2-start a new default scene and try to use LC again: EXPLOSIONS (inward and outward)

so don't worry, we have spotted the issue, will solve soon ;)

#33 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Cool. Thanks a lot Raul. I have spotted how to repeat the other explosing issue too. Making video for you soon. But now it's saturday... I don't want to bug you too much. Go out and
have fun with snow. We are still waiting that here in Finland :)

#34 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Here is the other video:

But maybe these two issues are related so fixing one will fix the other one too.

#35 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for reporting the bug with a video to mantis, haikalle. With my busy schedule, adding one more thing to do, well can't do everthing...

The decimate tool, (voxel menu) does a very good job at keeping details, even small LC details.
  • randomguy_j likes this

#36 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Yes, I can confirm that bug, more easily to get is to simply hit enter after using LC and then try to stroke again... I think will be easy to solve, it is probably something that we skip in the release process.... I'm sure ANdrew will spot that in a second ;)

#37 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

Ok the problem is solved, as I foretell this was easy pie for Andrew ;)

#38 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Updated to 3.7.01A just to fix this bug.

#39 JimB

JimB

Novice

• PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:3D work (time permitting)3DCoat,ZB4r6

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Still have this problem
3d-Coat-V37-01A-CUDADX64

Attached Thumbnails

• lc.JPG

Amd Quad Core FX-4100 3.6MHz, GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5, 8GB DDR3
Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch Small (CTH-461)   
Windows 8.1 Pro , Silo 2.2 ,3D-Coat V4 Pro,  TrueSpace 7
ambassadorgcaliavatar6250.jpg

#40 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Still have this problem
3d-Coat-V37-01A-CUDADX64

Reduction is not touched. Just explosion issue mentioned above fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users