3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Applink Developer

BeatKitano, When you had those mesh explosion issues do you remember did you changed between voxel/surface mode when working with your sculpt. I think that there is some

hidden bugs when doing so and using LC at the moment.

Ok, I've found a possible cause and I may say is not directly fault of LC tools, but with some corrupted data structure after starting a new scene after being using LC in a prior scene

If I start 3DCoat from scratch and I reproduce the steps in the video from haikalle nothing happens, but if I use LC and then start a new scene the explosion will happen. so here are the steps for getting explosions:

1-start any default scene and add few LC strokes,

2-start a new default scene and try to use LC again: EXPLOSIONS (inward and outward)

so don't worry, we have spotted the issue, will solve soon ;)

• Applink Developer

Cool. Thanks a lot Raul. I have spotted how to repeat the other explosing issue too. Making video for you soon. But now it's saturday... I don't want to bug you too much. Go out and

have fun with snow. We are still waiting that here in Finland :)

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for reporting the bug with a video to mantis, haikalle. With my busy schedule, adding one more thing to do, well can't do everthing...

The decimate tool, (voxel menu) does a very good job at keeping details, even small LC details.

• Like 1

Yes, I can confirm that bug, more easily to get is to simply hit enter after using LC and then try to stroke again... I think will be easy to solve, it is probably something that we skip in the release process.... I'm sure ANdrew will spot that in a second ;)

• Advanced Member

I guess this is off topic slightly but i was just wondering does CUDA do much to boost Liveclay at the moment?

I know CUDA is used for a few things like smooth in voxels but i always wonder if it's just used for certain things then what else it is helping with, or if it's just used to help boost everything in the CUDA version.

• Reputable Contributor

Windows 32 bit non-cuda 3.7.01A DX mode

Started with clean scene, worked awhile and then opened up a new scene with a default voxel sphere.

Andrew and Raul, you guys seem to be on the right track now to squashing the explosion bug. In the short testing I've done so far and I was trying to make the mesh explode. I have so far failed in my attempts... :yahoo:

More testing tommorrow. plus even though this windows computer is getting long in the tooth, I'm gonna throw one more video card in it. A ATI 4650 with one gig of ram and see what that does too. Most of my work is done on the linux version but hey the windows version come out first. :rolleyes:

I did not try the decimate brush or the decimate tool under the voxel menu...

post-518-0-80500100-1321748245_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I'm testing the 3.7.01 on Linux and I like a lot,explosion seems fixed(maybe it's too early to say but it seems so),thanks.

About the new function in surface mode(booleans),I have a suggestion.

The tessellation when merging seems good(I mean really sharp edges)but I'm asking if you have plans to improve how useful it could be these functions.

For example,no real world object is so sharp(every corner more or less has a little fillet),and the result from the merging doesn't seems to give the possibilities to further edit the shape with brushes.

So,what about a fillet brush to use after the merging?

I think that for organic work liveclay works great,but it could be cool if another way to tessellate faces can be done only for the particular case of doing fillets in the geometry.

As far as I can understand liveclay brushes they use some kind of delaunay or voronoi pattern to create new faces,but a fillet should always create faces equally spaced(horizontally) along the direction of the stroke,basically a flat area with horizontal length based on the radius of the pen and depth taken from the sharp edge as sampled by the stroke.

Trying a bit with liveclay brushes create good fillets only if the fillet is big in radius,but for tiny fillet it doesn't work(the result in this case is a noisy fillet that can work well only for some kind of object,but not for more technical stuff).

Smoothing doesn't help much(mainly because it allows to the smoothing normals to give a low res look).

Doing something like that it could be really a great addiction.

• Advanced Member

Hi there! It's been a while.

I've just get the v3.7 for 64bit machine with Cuda.

I opened 3dCoat (DX64), tried to create a primitive sphere in voxel room

but the sphere wasn't built after clicking "apply". Tried different kind of primitives but

impossible to turn them into voxel. 3dCoat crashed in the end.

Is there a need to uninstall previous version before installing V3.7?

I never had to do such a thing before when testing new versions.

Is there other people having the same issue?

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

OSX build / 10.6.8 / Nvidia graphics

Voxels at ~500 k, surf mode / decimation. Undo. Now I have to do some brushing before decimation start working again. Anyway. Great results ~250 K. Export object... 3dc freezing , force quit / OSX crash!

Thank you very very much. I haven't seen any other app that crashes OS for long time now. All 64 bit 3dc builds tend to crash OSX the last two three months.

I will trash it, the old 32 bit 3dc still works fine. I haven't anything to report, please guys, Andrew, Sergui, check the basics first before uploading.

There's a crucial huge mistake in all 64 bit OSX builds. Probably among OGL calls. This is valid I think. I'm able to decently shut down OSX via my other mac / ethernet. See my point?

OSX build / 10.6.8 / Nvidia graphics

Voxels at ~500 k, surf mode / decimation. Undo. Now I have to do some brushing before decimation start working again. Anyway. Great results ~250 K. Export object... 3dc freezing , force quit / OSX crash!

Thank you very very much. I haven't seen any other app that crashes OS for long time now. All 64 bit 3dc builds tend to crash OSX the last two three months.

I will trash it, the old 32 bit 3dc still works fine. I haven't anything to report, please guys, Andrew, Sergui, check the basics first before uploading.

There's a crucial huge mistake in all 64 bit OSX builds. Probably among OGL calls. This is valid I think. I'm able to decently shut down OSX via my other mac / ethernet. See my point?

It is pity and painful to hear that. Looks like we do nothing and never checking anything. It seems to be a very random crash and possibly it is specific to your configuration (but I don't know). Crashing any OS is related to hardware issues - if we do something wrong program should crash, not OS. OS may crash due to videocard/cpu overheating, HDD issues or something else that we don't know. So we need help, patience and bit more respect to find a reason and fix it. It is like surgery by e-mail... I will ask Sergiy to pay special attention to this problem, he will contact you soon.

• Reputable Contributor

Testing Linux 64 bit non-cuda 3.7.01A OGL

Surface mode

Beta tools enabled with remove stretching selected

When using the curve tool with the default splnes, holes or missing pieces are produced in the spline meshes after applying for the boolean operation.

Clean surface produces an explosion of the splines that were boolean into the mesh. The above holes I would think causes the explosion

I can cause 3DCoat to crash in surface mode by the below method.

Start with a default sphere, work on it for awhile using surface and LC brushes.

Clear the mesh using the clear command

Add a sphere primitive in surface mode

Select the draw brush, start brushing

3DCoat crashes to the desktop.

Edit reported to mantis...

post-518-0-66010900-1321805521_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

@Andrew,

and other friends

Merge a primitive, drop it to surf mode, decimate once, try to export object or scene under vox layers palette. This kills my OS. It takes 30 seconds, what GPU heating are we talking about? I can work under Voxels for hours at 10-20 M and no heating at all.

Simple as this! The system still works after 3dcoat hanging but I Can't force quit it!

• Advanced Member

Does anyone else have this problem:

After working with 3DC for a while, no matter if you are in the Paint room painting, or Voxel room sculpting or even editing some UV's in the Retopo room, out of the blue comes a 2-3 second delay after every brush stroke? this has occurred for me in just about every version of 3DC. The only way to restore 3DC to remove the delay (remove the 2-3 second delay), is to either save your work and restart 3DC and reopen your work OR go over to the Voxel room and click on the "Toggle proxy mode" twice, then all is well with the world for a while then the delay occurs again and its off back to the "Toggle proxy mode" again.

I have reported this to mantis but nothing is done about it.

Running Linux x64.

PLEASE can anyone confirm this MOST annoying problem.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

You are not alone my friend. I can confirmed this lag with the new version and the last few versions. It happens in voxel mode and well as the surface mode too. The way to fix it is the same too.

I have not posted a bug report to mantis yet. Just signed up about a week ago...

Linux 64 bit non cuda 3.7.01A

Windows 32 bit non cuda 3.7.01A

The problem occurs after working on a sculpt for awhile...

Does anyone else have this problem:

After working with 3DC for a while, no matter if you are in the Paint room painting, or Voxel room sculpting or even editing some UV's in the Retopo room, out of the blue comes a 2-3 second delay after every brush stroke? this has occurred for me in just about every version of 3DC. The only way to restore 3DC to remove the delay (remove the 2-3 second delay), is to either save your work and restart 3DC and reopen your work OR go over to the Voxel room and click on the "Toggle proxy mode" twice, then all is well with the world for a while then the delay occurs again and its off back to the "Toggle proxy mode" again.

I have reported this to mantis but nothing is done about it.

Running Linux x64.

PLEASE can anyone confirm this MOST annoying problem.

T.

It is really strange. Is it dependent on stroke length? does it lag even with very light and short strokes?

Please look ap "Pointers" below screen. Please look if growing/decreasing of this parameter related to lags.

• Reputable Contributor

long stroke, short stroke, light or heavy seems to make no difference. You will be sculpting just fine and then your next storke lags big time and keeps lagging. I have not posted to mantis as I am in the middle of sculpting when it happens and use the workaround so I can keep working. I had no concrete information I could give you for a mantis bug report.

I will make a test soon and watch closely for any telltale signs of when the problem starts occurring...

• Advanced Member

Andrew, it happens after a while of working on an object, doesn't matter what you are doing and what brush you are using, I have on numerous occasions, been working on a project which has no lag after brushing a stroke, then gone away from my computer for maybe 1 hour, then when I get back to 3DC the lag is suddenly there after just performing 1 brush stroke. The question I would like answered is "why does toggling proxy mode on then off fix the problem"? Even when I have imported an obj mesh and I am working with it in the Paint room the delay after each stroke occurs, then a quick trip to the Voxel room to toggle proxy mode twice and its back to painting without any delay. I mean, what has the "Toggle proxy mode" got to do with an imported obj file in the Paint room, there is no voxel sculpt in the Voxel room at all!

T.

• Advanced Member

I also can confirm the delay bug,I use Linux build(64 bit)more or less since a year and the bug was always there,in every version I have tried.

After you do strokes for sometimes(it depends on the number of the strokes I think)in voxel or surface mode(and even in paint room) the bug appears, toggle proxy(2 times) or restarting fixes it.

• Advanced Member

I tested 3.7.01 Without CUDA, 32 bit on my laptop yesterday and what interesting is the Draw, Buildup and Expand which seemed very slow on another computer using CUDA worked ultra fast.

So i guess this means the CUDA version can cause problems with some tools and there is a difference between the 2 versions. I am now wondering if i should un-install it and use the Without CUDA version on my computer with a Nvidia GeForce 9600GT which has CUDA. Though i am also wondering if it's the card that is the issue because while it has CUDA, it was one of the earlier Nvidia products to have it so maybe it's not very compatible or something?

• Reputable Contributor

Linux version 64 bit non-cuda 3.7.01A

Andrew, I sent a 3DCoat file via Media Fire to support(at)3DCoat.com that shows some of the artifact problems returning to voxel mode from surface mode that some users have mentioned. This is the current file I am working on. Details in the e-mail... I decided it just would be better to send the file instead of a bug report on mantis...

post-518-0-62599900-1321900440_thumb.jpg