Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

SR 71 Blackbird

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 freelancah

freelancah

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:3D Modeling, additive manufacturing. Co-founder of www.materflow.com

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hello
Kinda forgot to post it here but here it is.. I modelled the geometry in 3D max and textured the thing in 3D coat. Normal maps, colors, specular etc. Unfortunately the cockpit was left out due lack of time. Polygon count somewhere around 40k when meshsmoothed.

Mostly made using reference images and some random inaccurate blueprints..

Couple of individual frames as attachments.

Attached Thumbnails

• SR71 upfront.jpg
  • sr71 back.jpg

• Javis likes this

#2 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

Nice Job. I like it. :good: Would look even better if you could just throw up a quick Hanger (no frills) and give the ground plane a concrete texture, I think. Use the Mental Ray physical sky, with the hanger door open. And place a Sky portal at the door to direct more of the light into the hanger. With iRay being a physically correct renderer, that should be an easy light set up and still look pretty sweet

#3 L'Ancien Regime

L'Ancien Regime

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

wow that's a nice texture job. Very very detailed and tightly controlled to maintain the subtle touch.

For now Mari has taken the crown for high res texturing but I'm convinced that 3d Coat could catch up and surpass it particularly as 3d Coat has a much more ergonomic fluid artistic feel to it. It's an artist's tool...

#4 LJB

LJB

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Oh Nice work dude, I love this old bird!
Posted Image
Check out my channel on vimeo Here

#5 freelancah

freelancah

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:3D Modeling, additive manufacturing. Co-founder of www.materflow.com

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thank you all! I might consider the hangar sometime in the future. I'm currently building a scene in terragen2 to animate this thing over the alps.. But dunno how far I will get since time is not something I have too much :P
BeatKitano Slipsius, Huh? I dont know what you mean by that :o

#6 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Very good work! It looks fantastic. Where did you pull the blueprints from for it?

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#7 L'Ancien Regime

L'Ancien Regime

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Thank you all! I might consider the hangar sometime in the future. I'm currently building a scene in terragen2 to animate this thing over the alps.. But dunno how far I will get since time is not something I have too much :P
BeatKitano Slipsius, Huh? I dont know what you mean by that :o

Terragen 2 is awesome but there's no tutorials to speak of beyond the one or two basic ones. What have you used for learning material with Terragen 2?

If you've got anything please share the info. I'd love to get into it.

#8 freelancah

freelancah

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

geothefaust: There are tons of em if you just google, the highres ones @ blueprints.com cost money, i think. I mostly used a tons of photo references in addition.
L'Ancien Regime: I understand how you feel about the tutorials. There has been demand and some plans to do more of them but I dont know the details. The forums of planetside.co.uk are full of clipfiles, scenes and other information. Pretty much everything you can think of can be found there. That's the place I gained my information..
BeatKitano: That logo is actually from the default brush set that comes with 3D coat ;)

#9 T.H. ROCK

T.H. ROCK

Novice

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

Looks really good!

Seen a few in my lifetime by chance and luck. Used to joke about it's eight state turning radius because it flew so fast and high. :)

#10 L'Ancien Regime

L'Ancien Regime

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

geothefaust: There are tons of em if you just google, the highres ones @ blueprints.com cost money, i think. I mostly used a tons of photo references in addition.
L'Ancien Regime: I understand how you feel about the tutorials. There has been demand and some plans to do more of them but I dont know the details. The forums of planetside.co.uk are full of clipfiles, scenes and other information. Pretty much everything you can think of can be found there. That's the place I gained my information..
BeatKitano: That logo is actually from the default brush set that comes with 3D coat ;)

thanks

#11 freelancah

freelancah

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

Here's the thing comped to the terragen scene. Unfortunately it would appear I lack the processing power to render an animation within a reasonable amount of time so I shall leave this thing as a still for now, or consider matte animation later..

Attached Thumbnails

• Tripping the Stratosphere.jpg

#12 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

Too bad, you could have used the Beetles "Blackbird" song as accompaniment. Nice still. :clapping:

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users