Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Farsthary update channel

• Please log in to reply
483 replies to this topic

#101 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

• Interests:3D R&D

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Not the OSX build. Snake works terribly.
BTW Raul.
Where is the build tool, the move tool, and the remesher (reducer) +and - ? I mean the basic tools to start with?
You probably already noticed that I'm somehow not a positive guy. This is correct.
I never regret saying NOW, I regret for lot of YES actually.

Ops, sorry, I'm not responsible for cross platform builds.... I will pass your complain ;)
The build tool? have you tried LiveClay? it can quickly build up layers of fresh mesh...is the most basic and the most important brush to start with, anyway, every artist is free to have an own workflow.
The Move tool is on the way, and the Remesher too, along with other goodies, they can be quickly added... hey, those are Beta tools that takes time to develop and absolutely out of schedule, is systematically underestimated the complexity of creating software and improvements takes place STEP BY STEP, tool by tool ... or do you prefer Autodesk like only annualy updates?

"Snake works terribly" please send me some screenshots and/or use case that I have missed, remember I'm not a sculptor so I can easily miss testings...that's why is released to get your feedback. (EDIT: I'm aware of a flattening effect caused by non volume conservation, is something I will definately will work on)
There's a spanish saying: "A drop of honey attracts more flies than a gallon of gall" (in spanish is more poetic ;)) I appreciate your honesty and sharing your behavior philosophy but remember that the "means" is as important as the "message" itself, it does not help none to use harsh words for file a complain and constructive critics are better listened than rants ... now I have shared with you my "behavior philosophy" ;)
  • Colwax likes this

#102 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,433 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:50 AM

I found WrinkleClay works very well for stuff like this:

stretched_skin.jpg

BTW there's a similar English expression, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar".
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#103 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:08 AM

...similar expression as the Proverb (15:1) that says "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare." I forget it sometimes, but it's a good principle, nonetheless.

#104 MADjestic

MADjestic

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hi guys :)

A couple of Good news! new updates in the beta builds include our latest improvements and stabilization to LiveClay tools and also the new brushes: Wrinkle (can do creases like in Sculptris, use large displacements) , Tube (strong normal extrusion) and Snake (yes, what you have being waiting for ;))
http://farsthary.wor...veclay-feature/

cheers
Farsthary

Great news, Raul! Thanks for your great work. LiveClay and Crease-like brush functionality were some of the longest awaited features for me :) Yay!

As far as some impatient words written above - yes, development process takes time, especially knowing how it works with the story of 3D Coat - is it even a surprise? Nevertheless, I totally understand that "can't wait" feeling - seeing 3DCoat shaping up and being "almost there" - it's almost painful too see some feature not being quite there yet or or missing, or installing the latest build and finding something broken... Oh well, when was it not the case with betas? So, please excuse the impatience and emotions - it's so human and understandable and, ironically, comes out of best intentions, isn't it? Or it's just a bad demeanor :)

Best wishes,
Vlad

#105 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

More good news guys

Dedicated Crease brush

#106 MADjestic

MADjestic

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

More good news guys

Dedicated Crease brush

Woohoo! Is it in the builds yet? My hands are itching! :D

#107 Sandro Borg

Sandro Borg

Novice

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:3D/CGI animation,
    sci-fi/fantasy/horror,comics,anime/manga.
    Electronic Music Production,playing guitar
    Airbrushing.
    Cooking.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Crease tool looks awesome! :clapping:
Can't wait to try it out.
Thanks again for all the great work you are doing. :good:

#108 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

@ farsthary
My question, once again. How can I add density on specific places without building anything? The opposite of reduce tool (should exist on ctrl+tool)
Tools with 0 value still affect surfaces. Should I report it as a bug? I did it lol.
"The build tool? have you tried LiveClay? it can quickly build up layers of fresh mesh...is the most basic and the most important brush to start with, anyway, every artist is free to have an own workflow."
well, free... this depends on your work as well. The basic digital tools, the build, smooth(with some flatten behavior), grab, pinch and now pinch +- (Crease in our case which looks good). Clay tool as basic, where did you read this? Of course we need some more tools but this doesn't make them basics.
In fact there're two only real basic tools. The grab tool and the reducer/better remesher +-.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#109 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

@ farsthary
My question, once again. How can I add density on specific places without building anything? The opposite of reduce tool (should exist on ctrl+tool)
Tools with 0 value still affect surfaces. Should I report it as a bug? I did it lol.
"The build tool? have you tried LiveClay? it can quickly build up layers of fresh mesh...is the most basic and the most important brush to start with, anyway, every artist is free to have an own workflow."
well, free... this depends on your work as well. The basic digital tools, the build, smooth(with some flatten behavior), grab, pinch and now pinch +- (Crease in our case which looks good). Clay tool as basic, where did you read this? Of course we need some more tools but this doesn't make them basics.
In fact there're two only real basic tools. The grab tool and the reducer/better remesher +-.

Hi Michalis :)

Oh yes, I have being able to replicate the issue, you're right, it should not deform with Depth 0 , don't worry, I will fix it ;) thanks!

#110 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hi guys! Good news! big brush pack, take a visit at my site!
http://farsthary.wor...big-brush-pack/

#111 spacepainter

spacepainter

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thanks, good to see two geniuses collide. Lots of love.
Artis Natura Magistra

#112 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

Wow, I was guessing something amazing was in the works. Every tool looks like it will be really useful, great work farsthary :D

#113 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

Now you're talking farsthary.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

What are the limits (poly count) of this approach? I haven't reach them so far. lol.
Poly count isn't the appropriate word in this case. But how dense meshes can be in particular parts?
Much more than in sculptris, for sure.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#114 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

Great work! Update your donation page to include 3D-Coat as well as Blender. :D
8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#115 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Interests:Henri Corbin
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

Wow,Crease tool in new video looks even better than in last video.
It looks smoother and faster,less lumpy with more constant pressure.
Congratulations Farsthary! Liveclay toolset is building up in strength. :good: :)
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget
"The Wind In the Willows", Chapter 7 "The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn"

#116 wailingmonkey

wailingmonkey

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

these are looking fantastic! (really great sense of clay...digital, or otherwise) :)

I think it's been suggested that brush management will soon need to be addressed, but I
might also suggest that some of these brushes are just begging for a more robust 'interpolate'(smooth stroke)
capability...something closer to the power of Zbrush's lazybrush for speed and falloff/strength.

I can see how pulling out the rope brush, etc. will be a blast, but having true control over the stroke
of that pull will really allow much greater power to the artist.

great work, farsthary!
-portfolio-

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 560ti

#117 tree321

tree321

Novice

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

[quote name='wailingmonkey'

"might also suggest that some of these brushes are just begging for a more robust 'interpolate'(smooth stroke)
capability...something closer to the power of Zbrush's lazybrush for speed and falloff/strength."

I agree wailingmonkey, a "lazy mouse type function is sorely needed in Coat.It is number one on my request list.I occasionally use "lazyNezumi" for more precise strokes, but it can be a pain to use as it is not fully integrated in 3DCoat.A repeat stroke function would also be a nice addition.

Just one more thing; How's the radial symmetry feature coming along Farsthary?

#118 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

[quote name='tree321' timestamp='1314912171' post='66176']
[quote name='wailingmonkey'

"might also suggest that some of these brushes are just begging for a more robust 'interpolate'(smooth stroke)
capability...something closer to the power of Zbrush's lazybrush for speed and falloff/strength."

I agree wailingmonkey, a "lazy mouse type function is sorely needed in Coat.It is number one on my request list.I occasionally use "lazyNezumi" for more precise strokes, but it can be a pain to use as it is not fully integrated in 3DCoat.A repeat stroke function would also be a nice addition.

Just one more thing; How's the radial symmetry feature coming along Farsthary?
[/quote]

In order to fully integrate Radial Symmetry, few changes must be made in 3DCoat, I show an early feature experimment, but don't worry, it will be soon implemented ;)

And regarding the Lazy mouse option, that feature is already there from long ago in 3Dcoat, if you activate interpolate option you can get any presicion level in the stroking and the "Lazy mouse" experience aswell, in fact, I think I have usd that in the videos ;)

#119 wailingmonkey

wailingmonkey

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:58 AM

farsthary...I would have to respectfully disagree that the fidelity of Zbrush's lazymouse has been equaled
by 'interpolate'. Even affecting/changing the brush options in 'spacing' to attempt greater control helps, but is a
bit of a hack (and if your mouse leaves the surface of the model in screen-space, the stroke will come to an
abrupt halt).

For me, at least, it's a matter of 'dampening' the stroke (or having control over averaging it out) not only
as it travels along the stroke path dictated by the mouse/stylus, but also there's an innate 'wiggle' for lack of a
better term, perpendicular to the stroke direction that needs addressing.

So basically, it's not just controlling the speed that I'd hope for, but also averaging my stylus 'wiggle' as the
cursor travels over the geometry in screen space. Hope that makes sense, but if you can try Zbrush's lazymouse, and
then compare to 3DC, I hope you'll notice the difference...
-portfolio-

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 560ti

#120 farsthary

farsthary

Novice

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

farsthary...I would have to respectfully disagree that the fidelity of Zbrush's lazymouse has been equaled
by 'interpolate'. Even affecting/changing the brush options in 'spacing' to attempt greater control helps, but is a
bit of a hack (and if your mouse leaves the surface of the model in screen-space, the stroke will come to an
abrupt halt).

For me, at least, it's a matter of 'dampening' the stroke (or having control over averaging it out) not only
as it travels along the stroke path dictated by the mouse/stylus, but also there's an innate 'wiggle' for lack of a
better term, perpendicular to the stroke direction that needs addressing.

So basically, it's not just controlling the speed that I'd hope for, but also averaging my stylus 'wiggle' as the
cursor travels over the geometry in screen space. Hope that makes sense, but if you can try Zbrush's lazymouse, and
then compare to 3DC, I hope you'll notice the difference...

Oh, I will have to try it Zbrush.... also I think I know what you are talking about....taking note ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users