3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

• Advanced Member
Apparently the delay is due to something very interesting which probably means something really cool is being developed. :D

Looks like i guessed right :D

This is really amazing work farsthary, for sculpting this will give us lots of power and from the video the wire/mesh always looks really nice and organized which makes it even better.

I thought of some ideas for tools/features recently, hopefully you will like them.

Increase Density For Gaps - Around 0:11 where you make the whole through the sphere you then smooth it, i was thinking some sort of dialog with sliders and a button would be good. So you could for example use this instead of manually smoothing like you do in the video and it gives a perfect maths result rather than organic from a manual smooth with the brush. You could also maybe have something like a curve selector so you could make rivet style indents etc and get mechanical style results.

Cubic/Poly Reshaping - Similar to the curve idea from above this remaps part or all of the mesh so it is a more mechanical result. So basically you sculpt a organic form and then choose the style of result and the organic form is then converted into a mechanical form instead, so you can easily make a nice structure and then convert it to a new robot style form. I don't think this has been done before and it could be very interesting, i am sure ZB or others would borrow this idea also. ;)

Threshold Smoothing - At around 1:07 the mesh gets a bit broken due to narrow bits of the mesh being smoothed/sculpted and what this tool would do is help you clean the results without manually smoothing as it would detect the fine details and any unwanted folds or islands within the threshold range and apply the smooth. You could of course adjust the range, curve etc and maybe also allow the invert of this so fine details remain but large areas get smoothed instead. I am sure you could apply that type of system to other things such as increasing or decreasing detail and inflate and these could work well all built into 1 multi use tool also. When there is a updated preset system where each major tool has it's own presets you can quickly pick i think this would be totally amazing for workflows as it could allow you make a really complex structure with many glitches/errors perfect just by picking a few dropdown choices and pressing a button.

These would probably be very complex to make i am guessing and really just some ideas but if they were ever made these would be really useful tools. :)

Funny this feature wasn't available in any other sculpting app out there and it's now the second time I see it :)

Now only one question remains: If i want the two excluding part very close to make sort of a seam ? (like closing a jacket), can I do that ? Your video show the exclusion but it's hard to now if i can make the two parts really stick one next to the other without very noticeable gap.

Anyway it's nice to see people taking real life parameters into sculpting. The more we can make the tool behave like they would in real world (without the disadvantage, and that what this tool does by letting the artist only concentrate on his craft), the better.

Btw raul, I find creaseclay very nice but so udnerpowered, I don't know if others share my point of view (and I would gladly hear their thought), but I've to crank the depth to ver yhigh number to get a nice "pinching" effect (like 1000%)

Yes you can do that ;) I use now an inflate tool that is not very even approaching both fronts and also I smooth a bit the final result to see better that no intersection happens but ofcourse you can use more detail and a less aggressive brush with a softer falloff to stick both parts as close as you want :)

post-5788-0-84581300-1316894669_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

Wow another really useful feature, adding on to my previous tool/feature suggestions on the last page for this new tool -

Alternate Avoiding And Intersections - A mode where you set a option like according to distance and then the distance amount in a slider and also the join amount. Then every time it reaches that given distance it intersects for the amount set and then goes back to avoiding again. So you would have a pattern like form where it joins, avoids, joins, avoids etc in a similar way to a gates railings etc and for organic sculpting this could create some interesting results.

Hopefully you like this and the previous ideas :D

Nice you beat your challenger... for now :)

LOL :) don't worry, if a flood of complains hasn't take me down yet... I guess in that sense Blender community was more warm and pushing forward the soul , they recognize errors and bugs but still encourage developers to do their best, I guess that is the difference when they got a program for free, somehow they feel like they don't command you and will accept your schedule... in commercial development we devs are "by default" set to serve our community full time and we will do our best regardless people's opinion, but you know? I miss that human touch some times, I even fear to post something new because I will say to myself: - complains in 3, 2, 1... for much less than what I have done here , for Blender I got my blog full of positive and encouraging posts, now they have retired from my blog somehow and new good achievements barely have posts :(

But is ok to have a very exigent community because you push yourself much more (also I have more resources now, being in my country this could take much more time....) and I try to keep the best of both worlds. Also what I like most from 3DCoat is his huge room for growth :)

forgive me this "personal" confession, but I have to get that out of my chest too ;)

The show must go on ;)

• Like 1

I hope you didn't take my "challenger" line as a command. I'm currently testing an unannounced software which resemble to 3dcoat in ways. That's why I said you beat a challenger.

Anyway I completely understand it may be hard to take sometimes, this board has it's complainers (I'm one of them sometimes) but most people here are only witnesses to the great advance of the software. I for one complains not because I can't do things (at least most of the time it's not my priority, 3dcoat helps me for some task, it's easier but not the only way to do things), or want new tools but because in a way, pushing you is a small "contribution" (Ahah ?) to the progress of the digital graphic technology as a whole. I'm exigent not because I paid but because i'm seing the potential and it's very exciting to somehow be part of it.

Well, it may be the first time I'm enjoying to be part of the community of a commercial product, that's newPosted Image

Thanks! yes, I know they do that because they want that 3DCoat reach the excellence and definitely is for the good and I appreciate that that's why I push myself harder too :good:

[edit] I've to add, while some people are plain negative, there's also some language barrier involved some time. It happened to me a few time here some sentence construction and ponctuation made me see agressivity while there was none just a transposition of native language idioms converted to english :)

Oh yes, that may happen :) and I even have to add a translation layer to spanish ;):D

• Reputable Contributor

I appreciate the work you do, Raul, but I admittedly haven't tested LC much due to it's raw state and the fact that I can't go back into Volume mode and preserve the details that LC gave me. Until then, I may not find much use for LC, as it seems to me to be more like putting the cart ahead of the horse. If I reach a point in the sculpt where I really need to go back to volume mode, then I'm screwed for having done all that work in LC.

If there were a parallel effort in Voxel Subcells (that Andrew referred to months ago), I would be much more delighted than I am now. Again, having LC is nice to have, period. But in the context of Voxel Sculpting, it presents a dilemma due to it's one way nature.

Nevertheless, I do like new inflate tool and this "avoid self intersection" tool. Very nice, indeed.

If there were a parallel effort in Voxel Subcells (that Andrew referred to months ago), I would be much more delighted than I am now. Again, having LC is nice to have, period. But in the context of Voxel Sculpting, it presents a dilemma due to it's one way nature.

Nevertheless, I do like new inflate tool and this "avoid self intersection" tool. Very nice, indeed.

Hi :)

Yes, you absolutely will see it!, I just need to go by parts, it is not so essentially complex to add Volume LiveClay but I just need to let Surface part robust and stable, it will not help to spread my dev efforts into both projects but is a high priority task in my todo list, the foundation is set, subcells, the rest will come in time. I'm not releasing now LC to be a production ready tool because is unstable, all I ask is to use it for the shake of test the tool itself, the inter-operation with the rest of the system will be set later, the longest journey begging with a single step. Why you may think Volume LiveClay is forgotten? in no way!!! and it will trully unleash the power of 3DCoat combining the best o both worlds :good:

First of all, thank you, Raul, for your hard work - it is not unnoticed, I am eager to share praise, you truly deserve it!

As far as complains go - you set the bar high, so it is your own fault ;) most people can clearly see the potential and expect nothing less than that. Now, whenever you introduce a new piece of technology, it's being perceived in the context of this imaginary super-goal, rather than "at least he did something" as in development for open-source community where there are no strict obligations or expectations, based on software price or contract. That's what makes it different, but there's one more much important thing in common, between Blender Unlimited Clay and 3DC Live Clay, and Ketano mentioned it - 3DC team, together with you, are pushing the technology of CG Art to and though the new limits, and it is exciting to be part of it.

• Advanced Member

Somehow this already works like this, just without that distance threshold....

Nice, i am looking forward to testing that feature. Just so you know with my ideas i never expect them to be made but they are rather just things i think would be really useful to have in the program. Because when i see all these cool features you are making i get ideas in my mind thinking about things that would work well with them. So more like some ideas to test if you find them interesting. :)

Also i read your blog before i visit the 3DC forum which is usually every day to check for updates because you are doing some amazing work, i don't often post on blogs though but i read them a lot. You are a great member of the 3DC team and LC is getting better and better, i know some don't think of 3dc as good for sculpting even though it has a lot more freedom but as LC advances i honestly think it will be able to match or be better than the big rival company's. Great work :D

• Advanced Member

@Raul

Exigent... Are you sure that's how you want to look at the people who take the effort to give you detailed feedback instead of 1 liner praise?

--

For the people who still want to properly test LiveClay I have created a little script for Autohotkey (its free).

l::
if toggle := !toggle
Send, {w down}
else
Send, {w up}
return

You can replace the l in the first line with any key you like. If you press it once it will hold down the w key (enable wireframe) and if you press it again it will release it.

This should make testing liveclay, tweaking brush settings and finding bugs all a lot easier.

It would be even better if you could display the wireframe on top of the shaded mesh. Take some inspiration from Sculptris please. This is also important for the optimize brush. I want to see what it does (how much it reduces and wether I have to adjust my settings) and for that I need to see the wireframe as well.

3dioot

• Reputable Contributor

"Exigent... Are you sure that's how you want to look at the people who take the effort to give you detailed feedback instead of 1 liner praise?"

3dioot

So now the people who offer one line of praise are also guilty of lacking the skills of detailed feedback. For god's sake let Raul enjoy some of his encouragement without putting a negative spin on people who offer it.

Thanks for the autohotkey script

• Advanced Member

Holes etc.

farsthary , it tool me 10 mins to do this test in sculptris. Can you do something similar? You gonna need some nice tools for this.

Who says that you can't do holes in sculptris? BTW , Raul, is there a way to have mirror with weld in LC?

artifactHoles.jpg

• Advanced Member

Sorry digman we were posting the same time. I don't even have permissions to edit my post (it says)

I won't stop pushing devs. Holes are great (topologically speaking) but there're many ways to skin a cat. Tools we need , parametric tools, save them as presets and share them!

• Advanced Member

LOL

@farsthary

it's tricky

here how. OK don't start shouting now. lol

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?143454-My-beta-testing-doodles&p=862363&viewfull=1#post862363

But if you figure it, you can do any topologically correct hole you like. One two tree holes, symmetrical holes, anything.

As I already posted in other threads, I deeply believe that pixologic stopped dr Petters from developing. I may be wrong, but I have this feeling.

farsthary , it tool me 10 mins to do this test in sculptris. Can you do something similar? You gonna need some nice tools for this.

LOL , I'm not sure I can do that because I don't master (even know) all the tools and possibilities that 3DCoat has (and as you may know they are HUGE ;)) that took 10 minutes to you, but that can take hour for me? in any case I think that is based a lot on the symmetry trick to make holes, and the output has this symmetrical smell, still sculptris cannot make holes the "organic and real life sculpting" way, and even zbrush has to rely a lot on booleans (I'm not saying one method is better than others, each has its advantages ;))

anyway, today Is my resting day, and I woul like to enjoy a bit my escaping youth ;)

• Advanced Member

A trick based on symmetry. But you know, it's dynamically tessellated environment. You can move holes where you need them. Just count how many holes you need. 1-2-3 etc.

I warned you, but this remeshing via symmetry is funny. Useful sometimes. More like a mathematical quiz. :drinks:

You can guess, what I use to do is to fast build something in blender and bring it to sculptris.

A trick based on symmetry. But you know, it's dynamically tessellated environment. You can move holes where you need them. Just count how many holes you need. 1-2-3 etc.

I warned you, but this remeshing via symmetry is funny. Useful sometimes. More like a mathematical quiz. :drinks:

You can guess, what I use to do is to fast build something in blender and bring it to sculptris.

Oh yes, is very interesting from the topological point of view, you have to carefully plan how many holes you will need before starting to detail and refine your model, of course, that is in the unrealistic case you stick only with one tool/one software, booleans do good too and that is the current approach of nearly every CG app out there ... still, is addictive and very intuitive the new possibility to make bridges and holes the "natural way" as with real clay :) you almost can't stop till you have destroyed your model :D

• Advanced Member

Thanks for LiveClay Farsthary!

I just did some work with liveclay before the client pulled the plug on the project..

Anyhow, the link below shows results I was getting using the Liveclay brush and the liveclay crease brush. This took a lot longer than I thought it would but I was learning.. I can see how I could have done this much quicker by being a little more aggressive with the tools..

Good work Sir! Nice clay simulator..

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8701

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

Raul,I'm loving the new LiveClay tools,especially the CreaseClay. much appreciated. :yahoo:

I know these tools are still in development,

but you're definately moving in the right direction.

Well done :drinks: