476 replies to this topic

#21 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

Heath:

Because of Raul's slow connection in Cuba, he asked me to forward his reply, (which he sent to me via email):

>

Are these features slated for 3d Coat V4 or are they intended as part of a point update to V3?

Currently I cannot answer that, that will depends on Andrew's release plans, the full functionality may require some deeps changes but on the other hand some parts may be released punctually to get feedback.

What sort of mesh res will we be looking at with these features? Will this toolset allow for >micro details and sharpness on par with Zbrush?

I hope so ;) dynamic subdivision is suited for anisotropic detailed models (i.e models where details are clustered in different zones) but it won't replace traditional sculptings if you want evenly detailed models.

Is the surface sculpting going to be a lot like sculptris, and would it be worth while >familiarising ourselves with that tool in order to hit the ground running when these features >are implemented in 3d Coat?

Well, I haven't tried a lot Zbrush to tell, I will check it soon, the workflow will be just as it is now :)

To clarify the eventual goal: We'll have the ability to work with high frequency details on a >voxel object by switching it to surface mode. We will then be able to return to voxel mode >and these high frequency details will remain intact over our low frequency voxel model(similar in a way to a texture on a low poly object). Is this right?

That's the ultimate goal, currently, if you switch to voxel model the high frequency detail get lost, in orer to allow full interchangeability (the goal) then a LiveClay module for voxel model should be implemented, but the longest journey begins with a step, first the surface liveClay will be released, then will be the turn of Voxel LiveClay that will require some internal changes.

Cheers
Raul

#22 Heath_3d

Heath_3d

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

Wow! Thanks for the reply! I just saw the new videos on Rauls blog(farsthary.wordpress.com/)
The progress looks amazing and should really resolve some of 3dcoats current limitations as an end to end solution.
Thanks again Raul and thanks Psmith for passing this on.

#23 spacepainter

spacepainter

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/
Artis Natura Magistra

#24 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

One thing i am wondering is with the really high subdivision will there be a way to smooth at the same time? In one of the videos there is what seems to be low res details and in the wireframe view it increases a lot in subdivision but the details remain the same, i know this is a feature but if we wanted to soften the surface as it increases would that be possible with a slider/user options also?

In a video you subdivide areas but can you brush really high details instantly? i guess what i am asking is if the general workflow is subdivide a area you need then use the brush or if you can just use the brush directly or maybe just either method, i am guessing you can just use either way which will be great.

The last thing i am wondering is as you can increase the subdivision so much will there be some sort of detail reduction options also? if yes this would make it great for making low poly game objects also. :D

Anyway though this will be really cool when it's available and i am looking forward to using this, great work Raul :)

#25 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

I believe he's making some sort of smoothing feature as well, so perhaps that's what you're asking for.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#26 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

I think that is slightly different as that feature (from one of the earlier videos) seems to relax/smooth the whole layer/model. In the latest videos (Extreme subdivision no displacement test) there is brushing which adds a lot of subdivision detail but it appears to keep the same details that were there before, so looks low res but actually very detailed.

What i was asking is when doing this brushing to add a lot of subdivision if it's possible to smooth/relax at the same time. So rather than keep the lower res look but actually have a higher detailed surface you just have a very high detailed but smooth and relaxed surface instantly as you brush in the extra subdivision.

I guess i just need to wait for the beta versions with this to test :)

#27 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:17 AM

Digital 777:

Raul's reply is as follows:

One thing i am wondering is with the really high subdivision will there be a way to smooth at >the same time? In one of the videos there is what seems to be low res details and in the >wireframe view it increases a lot in subdivision but the details remain the same, i know this >is a feature but if we wanted to soften the surface as it increases would that be possible with a slider/user options also?

Definately yes, the current code smooth but it preserves shapes, so the polygons "flow" over the surface without shrinking it, but offcourse there will be an option to allow the shrinkage effect and full smoothing :)

In a video you subdivide areas but can you brush really high details instantly? i guess what i >am asking is if the general workflow is subdivide a area you need then use the brush or if >you can just use the brush directly or maybe just either method, i am guessing you can just >use either way which will be great.

I'm not sure I understand this question ;) but the workflow is (subdivide/reduce)->smooth->deform on every LiveClay stroke , for the second video I disable the deform part intentionally just to show the subdivision engine, which by the way, I have improved a lot since that video ;)

The last thing i am wondering is as you can increase the subdivision so much will there be >some sort of detail reduction options also? if yes this would make it great for making low >poly game objects also.

Well, I guess I have answered that in the previous point: yes, in fact I will focus on the reduction part very soon and is a must :)

Thanks for the user feedback and opinions.
Cheers
Raul

#28 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

That sounds really great thanks Raul, also thanks to Psmith for forwarding the reply's. :)

#29 stevecullum

stevecullum

Novice

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

Any more news on these features yet? :)

#30 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:00 AM

Raul is very busy implementing a hoard of brushes that work with LiveClay. He is also digging very deep to find the source of a bug that causes some face disconnection.

Shouldn't be too long, now.

Greg Smith

#31 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

From Andrew:

I got source code for LiveClay from Raul, with some tweaks we got really smooth and nice result for clay-like brush! Beta test comes soon!

Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#32 bngames

bngames

• 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

From Andrew:

WOW JUST WOW

#33 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

This is huge! Almost too much to handle :yahoo:

#34 MADjestic

MADjestic

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

This is huge! Almost too much to handle :yahoo:

Yay! Can't wait!

#35 stevecullum

stevecullum

Novice

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Awesome - Can't Wait!

#36 pluMmet

pluMmet

• 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

Awesome - Can't Wait!

+3

#37 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

yay. me want
"Uploading 08O. But problem - no electricity now. Notebook shows 35 min to the end of power, upload - 30. Who will be the first? :)"

#38 c.1

c.1

• 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

Wow 3DC is just getting better and better!!

#39 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

May 19th Update From Raul:

I have good news for you and the community, I don't know if you know
them already, we have implemented (actually Andrew) a very important
milestone in LiveClay and the future of 3DC: subcells! , is the
posibility to refine any voxel to any level, previously 3DC used
static voxels so in order to increase resolution you have to add
globally more voxels, now you can refine any voxel into 8 subcells and
each of them into 8 more and so on! currently is in a raw state and
only functional for Surface LiveClay, it basically allows to have a
hierarchical dynamic mesh partition so performance of LiveClay is
fully local and is independent from the global mesh reosolution :)
you can keep adding more detail and detail in smaller and smaller
zones on the model as long as you want, I think this is awesome now
and a critical comercial feature, it can be used for the rest of the
bruses since the required changes was minimal :)

Moreover, for Volumetric LiveClay this is the foundation too so is
closer than you may think ;)
I'm currently dealing with improve and cleaning topology before
tackling mesh reduction (simplification pen)

Cheers
Raul

We are shaping a very powerfull 3D sculpting app :)

#40 BeatKitano

BeatKitano

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

I can't wait to see what the 3dc community will come up with those tools. If it's half as good as I expect, sculpting will be limitless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users