80 replies to this topic

#21 BeatKitano

BeatKitano

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

I've a few things to say about the applink. It's great but we need some tuning.

Right now:

1-zbrush subtool: polysphere
2-3dc: cool vox volume
If the polysphere has not been exported to 3dc first, the cool vox volume cannot be sent to zbrush. This means every mesh you want to bounce back and forth needs to be first exported from zbrush. To do that, you have to export anything (a polysphere for instance) to 3dcoat, merge it into the voxel volume you want to exchange, then you're good to go.
It would be nice if we could export a vox volume from the beginning, replacing the active zbrush subtool if it's not yet linked to a 3dcoat volume.

And more:

Wen you export from zbrush to a voxel object, it's created in a new layer. That defeats the whole purpose of exchanging quickly datas. What the applink needs to do is erase the currently selected vox volume, and replace his content with the exported mesh from zbrush. Otherwise you have to do all that manualy and it's actually the same as importing an obj :/
Zbrush does it naturally when he receive the associated mesh, but 3dcoat has no recognition of the links.

#22 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

Seems that this is a new version - I re-downloaded and now it works bidirectionally. Very cool!

Some remarks: It seems that Y-Positive gets Y Negative when exporting to 3DC.
This needs to get flipped in the Applink...(probably also Textures need to get flipped).
I see that there is no Zbrush-Subtool-Support yet. Only the active Subtool gets exported
(true both for Painting and Voxel-Editing).
Hopefully one can make Voxel-Layers of them and transfer them back as Subtools again
and create objects from them in the Paint-Workspace.

When playing with the "Demo-Soldier" Zbrush btw. always crashed after exporting of the main body
(active by default) See attached - also illustrating the axis-inversion.

I agree with Beats comments.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot_286.jpg

#23 micro26

micro26

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for this applink , very usefull and fast way to work using both zbrush and coat.
Small request would be to import and export multiple objects and i have a problem exporting(voxel) from coat to zbrush,i dont see the message inside zbrush .Unless i m missing something.

michalis ,I think its because zbrush can sculpt even dense meshes and if they are quads they re smoother :)

#24 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Something I don't understand about this forum.
I simply asked "why do we need an applink for exporting dense quads?" Is it so difficult for you to answer this simple question? I'm on a mac, I haven't try the applink yet.
You keep explaining to me why zbrush likes dense quads, but it has nothing to do with my question.
But you found the opportunity to clearly explain that you're not interested on the workflow I suggested. Answers like these:
"but could you please stop trying to force everyone adopt them ?"
"I agre with Beat, your workflow recommendations really don't make sense for anyone... "

made it clear, that I have a bad reputation in this forum. At least.
So bad that you don't even answer a simple question.
Thank you.

Let me try once more, this applink is for those who like to construct a personal workflow. Its not for dense quads exports. Am I right?

Michalis,
micro 26 has already answered this. Dense quads perform nicer than Triangles when the plan is to just rough out a shape inside 3DCoat and
then to move it over to Zbrush for Refinement. You prefer very early manual remeshing - that's cool - but I believe this is not always necessary.
Of course Zbrush suffers from limitations of Mesh-Modeling (Stretched Polys - which may make further editing difficult - even impossible).
But it also has great tools to bring a ruined mesh in a better state again (Clay-BuildUp-Brushes which don't introduce much Stretch to begin with,
a whole array of smart Smoothing Brushes, Remeshing with Reprojection (much faster as in 3DCoat!), Storing Morph-Targets, the list could go on).
If at all neccesary for the Project in question one could also Retopo at a later Stage and for this Task push the Geometry over to 3DCoat.

#25 micro26

micro26

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

Let me try once more, this applink is for those who like to construct a personal workflow. Its not for dense quads exports. Am I right?

if i get the question right , this pipeline is when u dont care about topology or making something that has uvs .Its just to make a high res model to be used for baking normal and ao etc to low poly cage.A process useful in game content
Hope it helps

#26 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

One more thing got obvious when testing the Applink:
3DCoat doesn't like Polygroups when merged to Voxels. It leads to great errors, both when trying to merge Solid and as Skin.
I believe this is something Andrew had to address first - Polygroups seem to get interpreted as not welded in the Voxel-Workspace.
Interestingly - everything does get treated as welded in the Paint/Sculpt-Workspace. When Mesh-Deforming seams stay closed.

What should be the Solution now?
I think the first step should be ignoring these Poly-Groups when Merging to Voxels (in order to make it work at all)

But in later steps I believe two other Modes made sense:
1) Merge each Polygroup as a Solid Volume (so that in the Case of the Rhino we had separate Voxel-Layers for each Polygroup)
2) same as 1) but not Solid but with a Wall-Thickness (merge as Skin)

Further testing is difficult as Zbrush freezes each time after I moved something over to 3DC...

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot_292.jpg
  • screenshot_293.jpg
  • screenshot_294.jpg

#27 Denis S

Denis S

• 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

New Version 03. Please, check release notes in first message.

#28 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hi Denis,
thanks for the Update! I see the Axis-Remapping fixed.
I could not test the support for other Bitmap-types as this version again doesn't send back to Zbrush (neither Model nor Textures).
Also the Script started in Zbrush still loops here and it still makes Zbrush freeze. Only when pressing Escape one can kill the Script
and keep Zbrush going - but I'm afraid by pressing Escape one also cuts the Connection between the Programs. This is on
XP32, will check Win7 64 later.

#29 Denis S

Denis S

• 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hey polyxo!

Please verify the version of 3D-Coat you are currently using. If it's feasible, please update to the latest 3.5.16.
I'm using Win32, Nocuda version on Vista32 for development and testing.

This infinite looping in ZBrush after sending mesh to 3DCoat is by design. It's supposed that after sending info to 3DCoat, ZBrush enters kind of "waiting state" until it will get results back from 3DCoat (which is done by pressing "File -> Open in originall app" in 3DCoat).
Pressing Esc while ZBrush in waiting state, will cancel whole export-import sequence, and you will be unable to get anything from 3DCoat without re-exporting from ZBrush. Unfortunatelly, in waiting state, ZBrush UI sometimes freezes after Alt-Tab to another window. But inside it's still working and waiting either Esc or results from 3DCoat. I will try to somehow address this issue (maybe it's possible to force ZBrush to redraw it's UI properly after alt-tab), so ZBrush won't look "freezed" when waiting for 3DCoat.

Regards,
Denis

#30 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

Hi Denis,

Please verify the version of 3D-Coat you are currently using. If it's feasible, please update to the latest 3.5.16.
I'm using Win32, Nocuda version on Vista32 for development and testing.

Hi Denis - I was indeed still on 15b. I upgraded and got the link working again.

This infinite looping in ZBrush after sending mesh to 3DCoat is by design. It's supposed that after sending info to 3DCoat, ZBrush enters kind of "waiting state" until it will get results back from 3DCoat (which is done by pressing "File -> Open in originall app" in 3DCoat).
Pressing Esc while ZBrush in waiting state, will cancel whole export-import sequence, and you will be unable to get anything from 3DCoat without re-exporting from ZBrush.

Yep, that's what I assumed already...

Unfortunatelly, in waiting state, ZBrush UI sometimes freezes after Alt-Tab to another window. But inside it's still working and waiting either Esc or results from 3DCoat. I will try to somehow address this issue (maybe it's possible to force ZBrush to redraw it's UI properly after alt-tab), so ZBrush won't look "freezed" when waiting for 3DCoat.

Ok - Alt+Tab is the reason! Thought that the Looping at some point screwed Zbush. I of course use Alt+Tab all of the time on my Laptop. Tuning that up was very welcome.

More testing tomorrow. Thanks!

#31 b33nine

b33nine

Novice

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:04 AM

is this broken with 3.5.18? I can't get 3d-coat to send anything back to Zbrush

#32 BeatKitano

BeatKitano

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Yep, I tried a few days ago and couldn't get it to work. I was waiting to see if I was an isolated case.

#33 Guedin

Guedin

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hi guys,

Any news with this plugin ? Like other mentionned, right I can bring something from ZBrush in 3DC but I can't from 3DC to ZBrush. Also, I've got sometimes an error saying : error: DLL::ExcBegin() failed!

I would love to use this plugin but right now I can't.

Thanks

#34 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

These two apps are a powerful combination. Many possible combinations actually. I'm wondering, how complicated an applink should look like. I'm pretty sure that doing this manually is easier.
Having a multi res mesh at ~12M and you want to retopo it. I guess you choose to export a lower res mesh. Merge it to voxels (autopo)?, as reference for manual retopo? The base mesh for Uvs and painting?
What about the opposite? To ZBrush? Choose the 'star' before importing. Append. You may use UV master to copy UVs. You may import displ_map in alphas panel and displ palette after. I can't remember how many workflows are possible. Like dense quads, tri meshes exporting, better baking of maps, projections.... Remember sculptris with GoZ plugin. Three apps then. LOL :drinks:
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#35 skaale

skaale

• 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

I'am also getting this DLL::ExcBegin() failed! when I try to export from zbrush to 3dcoat

#36 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

Skaale from zbrush forum, right?
Do you really need this? Just asking.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#37 b33nine

b33nine

Novice

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

I'd love to get this back, it was a really nice tool to be able to use both programs together.

#38 polyxo

polyxo

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

I'd love to get this back, it was a really nice tool to be able to use both programs together.

+1

#39 Guedin

Guedin

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

Same here !
Both program have their strentgh and weakness ... So a link between the two apps would be awesome to use the best of both of them.
I love so much the polish brushes in ZBrush for hard surfaces with curves, but the boolean merging tool in 3DCoat are no match !

#40 Jason

Jason

• 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

I was just curious if there has been any developement with the zbrush applink, or if you guys are using a seperate process for moving sculpts/meshes between 3d coat and zbrush. I just bought 4R2, and I have to admit, learning the UI and the generic .obj importing has been kicking my butt. (Apparently there's no freaking manual provided with the program, just a "getting started" guide) Makes me appreciate 3dCoat a LOT more :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users