80 replies to this topic

#61 wave of light

wave of light

Novice

• PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:3D, Print, Design, Family and Football

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Soon, I'll be posting my second set of "From Scratch" videos - this next one is slightly more realistic (The Proverbial Pirate). Big project, really, so I'll be presenting it in chunks.

Thanks for tuning in,

Greg Smith

Ohhhh, interesting. Pulls up a chair and waits....
Sketch page inc New 'Thing' WIP
rsldesigns.co.uk (my website)

Posted Image

System Spec: Asus P5KC MB : Q6600 @ 3Ghz (OC) : 8G RAM : GeForce 9500 GT : Win7 64Bit

#62 HevJudo

HevJudo

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:dreaming..

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

I own ToonBoom Animate, too - but, for me, it's just too complicated to use (to be fun). These days, if it's not fun, I don't bother much. I've spent too many years tearing my hair out with learning "workarounds" - just to accomplish simple things that . . . well, I don't want to spend my time doing that, anymore.

I love what you made there - and the time it took is just right - SHORT. Nothing should take us as long to make as it usually does - not when there is software like 3D-Coat. And coffee should never get cold.

Actually, the only reason I'm still involved with 3D stuff is to make cartoons. That is really all I ever wanted to do, in the first place. 3D-Coat is the perfect place to start, (and nearly end), the process.

Thanks for the comments.. I agree about workarounds.. Im in my mid 30's, have a young family and a job completely unrelated to 3d or design.. and all my learning is gained in the hour or two each day that I can squeeze in to trawl forums, training videos or osmosis in general .. so I can make cartoons! The best training not only shows you how but explains why.. Im an engineer and the worst thing you can do is memorise a formula.. the best thing is to know how to derive it! So any sort of training that does that (like yours) is the biggest time saver imaginable.. More time can then be spent creating so that your design and your animation (the ultimate goal) constantly improves.

Regards

Andrew

#63 Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Thank you very much, very useful :)

After watching the two first video I decided to edit my post because I think, thank you wasn't enough:) I have learned so much simply by watching the first video, really, really, HUGE thank you :)

#64 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

• 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for an excellent tutorial. Here's what I came up with. I did my own thing in a couple of places. This is my second effort at sculpting so I'm very pleased with how it turned out. My other effort was the Javis Jones spaceship tutorial.

Retopologized and rendered in Cinema 4D. A slight bit of polygon tweaking was done in Cinema 4D.

3DKiwi

Attached Thumbnails

• Rat01.jpg
  • Rat02.jpg
  • Rat03.jpg

#65 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Good job, I'm curious why you went to C4D to retopo when I have great tools right here.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#66 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

• 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:26 AM

Sorry I meant to say retopologized in 3D Coat. I did some minor polygon tidying up in C4D.

If I was allowed to edit my post I would change it.

3DKiwi

#67 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:28 AM

After a few more posts you should be able to edit them. I forget the exact number.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#68 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

• 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

Thanks. I'd better make some more posts.

Here's an update after sending the rat to the gym to work out :)

Nigel

Attached Thumbnails

• muscles.jpg

#69 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

I finish up in C4D when the topology has to incorporate the interior of a mouth. I could do the interior by itself in 3DCoat but I would combine it with the head in C4D.

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#70 Kali Brutalka

Kali Brutalka

• 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I am very new to 3D Coat so excuse my "dumb question". I am following the rat's teeth tutorial and started with a cylinder.
However when I add the sphere the cylinder disappears. I have tried the "unhide all" command but no help.
Any ideas of what I could be doing different? All my screen settings appear to match yours. (I think)
Thank you for the great tutorials.

i have the exact same problem. i've tried hitting Enter after positioning the cylinder and that keeps it in place when the sphere appears but after when i hit ctrl+enter nothing happens so i guess i must be missing someething??? also my sphere and cylinder are green color - not like in the tutorial where they're whitish... does that matter in any way?

#71 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

When using Primitives, the "Enter" key adds the Primitive to the scene. You can also consider this kind of "adding" as a boolean "add" operation. When you hold down the "Ctrl" key and then press "Enter", you are performing a boolean "subtract" operation.

So, first you "add" a cylinder Primitive, using the "Enter" key - and then you "subtract" a sphere Primitive from the cylinder Primitive, using "Ctrl-Enter".

Since the time this tutorial was made, 3DC has changed. So, if you are using the latest beta version, your voxel sculptures are automatically displayed in the Paint Room by means of "View/ShowVoxelsInPaintRoom". This means that painting is integrated with Voxels - and that painting or texturing includes whatever Shader has been applied in the Voxel Room. Also, colors can be painted over these shaders, directly without giving the Voxel sculpture any polygonal topology.

So, in the case of the Rat's gums, you can choose a shiny, gum-like shader - go to the Paint Room, select the "Fill" tool and press "B" to invoke the Color Palette - choose a gum color, and apply the color to the shader, (which retains its original characteristics, but adds the influence of the chosen color).

Now, when AUTOPO is used to create the gum topology, the Directly Painted textures will be automatically "baked" to the automatically created topology.

Give it a try. Experiment with various shaders to get the effect you desire.

Greg Smith

#72 Kali Brutalka

Kali Brutalka

• 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

well i've bumped into another problem - everything seems OK but when i start to paint my model this weird lines show up...any clue what this might be and how to correct it?

Posted Image

#73 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

Are you painting with the blue "Depth" icon enabled (no X through it)? Make sure you have "X"'s on every icon except the one for "Color".

Greg Smith

#74 bisenberger

bisenberger

Novice

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Hi Greg,
Just finished watching your rat from scratch videos. Very helpful and very well done.
Thanks you,
Bill
GeoForce GTX 460, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

#75 AFalk

AFalk

• 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Great little series and it helped a lot, so thanks Greg!

#76 Steve_f

Steve_f

• 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

I'm following Psmiths Rat tutorials and very good they are for newbie.

However, I have a problem I cannot find an answer too.

When RETOPOing the rat the symetry plane jumps to the right side resulting incorrect/incomplete mesh.

I have tried resetting plane manually when it happens and even locking plane in place. 

Even when I get the plane to display correctly right until the mesh has been generated the plane then jumps to side and mesh is wrong!

I am using version 4.0.03 (and also tried latest 4.0.06A) to no avail.

Is there some obvious thing I am missing in this version as the vids were made with 3.5x I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#77 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

I'm following Psmiths Rat tutorials and very good they are for newbie.

However, I have a problem I cannot find an answer too.

When RETOPOing the rat the symetry plane jumps to the right side resulting incorrect/incomplete mesh.

I have tried resetting plane manually when it happens and even locking plane in place. 

Even when I get the plane to display correctly right until the mesh has been generated the plane then jumps to side and mesh is wrong!

I am using version 4.0.03 (and also tried latest 4.0.06A) to no avail.

Is there some obvious thing I am missing in this version as the vids were made with 3.5x I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Try closing the app > delete the Options.XML file in the MyDocs/3D Coat folder. Then Re-open 3D Coat and resume. See if that helps, as sometimes that .xml file can get corrupted and exhibit bug like behavior. Doesn't seem to be any reason why the symmetry plane would jump, in any room. Also, maybe test it on another file, and see if it only happens with that one file/project.

#78 TimmyZDesign

TimmyZDesign

Apprentice

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:3D Generalist

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

Also try right-clicking on your vox layer in the voxtree panel and then choosing To Global Space.

Intel Xeon W3570 (4 core @ 3.2GHz) 6 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1GB GPU memory, CUDA, OpenGL)
Windows Vista Professional 64-bit
1st display is Wacom Cintiq 21UX (2nd Gen) (1600 x 1200)
2nd display is ASUS VE245H (1920 x 1080)

#79 Steve_f

Steve_f

• 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Absolutely. I have only just seen your reply Timmy but after AbnRangers' response I looked at options again and found 'To Global Space' and it worked.  :) I had noticed that although the plane showed correct in Voxel room, switching to Retopo showed it was in displaced position. I don't know why or how but resetting in global space repositioned it correctly.

Hope anyone else encountering this finds this answer.

Thanks both for the help.

#80 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Absolutely. I have only just seen your reply Timmy but after AbnRangers' response I looked at options again and found 'To Global Space' and it worked.  :) I had noticed that although the plane showed correct in Voxel room, switching to Retopo showed it was in displaced position. I don't know why or how but resetting in global space repositioned it correctly.

Hope anyone else encountering this finds this answer.

Thanks both for the help.

I got something like that once or twice. Does seem odd. Here is a video that covers Symmetry in the Voxel Room:

http://www.youtube.c...6yUd1x&index=11

And one for the Retopo Room:

http://www.youtube.c...6yUd1x&index=12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users