Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat From Scratch (Video Training)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

Hello:

I've been a new user, myself, and I think I have a feeling for what needs to be demonstrated to give any new user of 3D-Coat a nice, trouble-free introduction, (and beyond), to 3D-Coat and its strongest, most unique functionality.

3D-Coat From Scratch, Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Painting The Rat, Part Seven

Here is a short video series that should give any new user a quick start - especially those who are tired of needing and using many applications to do relatively simple things.

Greg Smith

#2 Greg

Greg

Novice

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:3d, drawing, painting, computer programming

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:51 AM

Great start Greg! Moves at a nice pace, and very clear.
thanks!
Greg(the other Greg). :D

#3 Tom K

Tom K

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:3d Graphics, Machining

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

That's pretty good. :good:
Do you do voiceover work as your day job? Sounds like you could be a narrator for a nature show or something.
Good quality video too. It's so nice to have sharp video when doing software tutorials.

Tom

#4 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Tom:

Discovery Channel, PBS, you name it. Not really. I could use the work, if you have connections, though.

Greg Smith

#5 Tom K

Tom K

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

Tom:

Discovery Channel, PBS, you name it.

I even had to go here to see if the voice matched.
Discovery Channel/How-It's-Made

Tom

#6 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:08 AM

Here's Part Four, but it deals only with the Rat's Teeth, (a good primer).

Whadda Rat's Teeth

Greg Smith

#7 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

In this, the 5th session, I try to cover the ambiguities of using AUTOPO for organic surfaces. I examine those things which work and those things which do not work:

3D-Coat From Scratch (Part Five)

Greg Smith

#8 SilverCity

SilverCity

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

Psmith, thanks for these terrific tutorials. While I've seen a lot of videos detailing each aspect of 3DC, a quick start tutorial like yours, covering the complete workflow, was really needed. I also appreciate the great video/audio quality. I hope you'll continue to do more tutorials.

#9 wave of light

wave of light

Novice

• PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:3D, Print, Design, Family and Football

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

Dear Psmith,

Excellent work on the tutorials, they have a good flow and are very well narrated. Did you narrate as you recorded or did you do the voiceovers afterwards?

Thank you for sharing.

Ricky.
Sketch page inc New 'Thing' WIP
rsldesigns.co.uk (my website)

Posted Image

System Spec: Asus P5KC MB : Q6600 @ 3Ghz (OC) : 8G RAM : GeForce 9500 GT : Win7 64Bit

#10 Drocket

Drocket

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

Really nice tutorials Greg, thanks for doing them, I am looking forward to the next ones in the series where you texture/paint Mr Rat :)

Have you got plans for other tutorials?

#11 Sandro Borg

Sandro Borg

Novice

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:3D/CGI animation,
    sci-fi/fantasy/horror,comics,anime/manga.
    Electronic Music Production,playing guitar
    Airbrushing.
    Cooking.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hi Psmith,
Thank you for taking the time to put these tutorials up,they are really well put together,clear and very informative.
I've only been using 3DCoat for a couple of months,so anything like this certainly helps.
Looking forward to seeing how you paint the rat.
Thanks again.

#12 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

WaveOfLight:

I'm pretty much a stickler for clean audio and narration, (I had a bit of training), so, I always do the narration afterward, one phrase or sentence at a time. Sometimes, I'll have 70 audio clips at the end of one session, which I also edit, individually, to remove any noise or pops, etc.

Because of these scruples, I'm afraid my videos are a long time coming. But there will be more, I hope, covering other topics of interest.

Greg Smith

#13 wave of light

wave of light

Novice

• PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:3D, Print, Design, Family and Football

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

WaveOfLight:I'm pretty much a stickler for clean audio and narration, (I had a bit of training), so, I always do the narration afterward, one phrase or sentence at a time. Sometimes, I'll have 70 audio clips at the end of one session, which I also edit, individually, to remove any noise or pops, etc. Because of these scruples, I'm afraid my videos are a long time coming. But there will be more, I hope, covering other topics of interest.Greg Smith

Lol. I thought that's what you'd done. I did some training videos a while ago (and some stand in character voiceovers) and it's always best to record and edit afterwards.

Seriously though, you should look at getting into some voiceover agencies as you have the right tones for voiceovers.

Ricky.
Sketch page inc New 'Thing' WIP
rsldesigns.co.uk (my website)

Posted Image

System Spec: Asus P5KC MB : Q6600 @ 3Ghz (OC) : 8G RAM : GeForce 9500 GT : Win7 64Bit

#14 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

WaveOfLight:

Being from the UK, you may be familiar with the voice of Jonathan Cecil. He has done brilliant work with P.G. Wodehouse. I've never heard a voice with such a range of characterisation. You can sample him on Audible, if not elsewhere.

Great stories to go to sleep by.

And, thanks everyone, for the nice comments.

Greg Smith

#15 Tom K

Tom K

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

Are you going to give your rat a tail?

Tom

#16 Tony Nemo

Tony Nemo

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Kudos, Greg! :clapping:

8 core 2.5 Xeon /12 gb RAM DX 64 Cuda / 560GTX-Ti. I always use the latest build.

#17 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

No tail, I fear. I made the Rat to be animated, and a tail, as was the case with the elder Mickey Mouse, might become a nuisance to him.

Greg Smith

#18 Tom K

Tom K

Novice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

a tail, as was the case with the elder Mickey Mouse, might become a nuisance to him.

Are you saying Micky Mouse lost his tail? :o

Tom

#19 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

Tom:

Mickey only temporarily lost his tail, I believe, in the 1940's. He got it back, sometime later.

Here's a quote from eHow:

Features

Mickey Mouse's first words were "Hot dog!" and spoken in the 1929 feature "The Karnival Kid." Over the years, the voice of Mickey Mouse has been performed by Walt Disney himself, Jim McDonald and Wayne Allwine. Allwine's wife, Russi Taylor, became the voice of Minnie Mouse, Mickey's cohort, in the 1980s. Visually, Mickey has changed appearance in subtle ways. In 1939, he got pupils, new coloring and a new body shape. In the next decade, his tail disappeared. Mickey subsequently got his tail back, lost and regained his pants, gained and lost his eyebrows and had his ears' shape briefly changed. Mickey Mouse's ears are a big part of his fame. No matter from which perspective you're looking at him, his ears look the same--round and black.

Read more: About Mickey Mouse | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz19jQONBpD

Greg Smith

#20 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:27 AM

Tom:

Mickey only temporarily lost his tail, I believe, in the 1940's. He got it back, sometime later.

Here's a quote from eHow:

Features

Mickey Mouse's first words were "Hot dog!" and spoken in the 1929 feature "The Karnival Kid." Over the years, the voice of Mickey Mouse has been performed by Walt Disney himself, Jim McDonald and Wayne Allwine. Allwine's wife, Russi Taylor, became the voice of Minnie Mouse, Mickey's cohort, in the 1980s. Visually, Mickey has changed appearance in subtle ways. In 1939, he got pupils, new coloring and a new body shape. In the next decade, his tail disappeared. Mickey subsequently got his tail back, lost and regained his pants, gained and lost his eyebrows and had his ears' shape briefly changed. Mickey Mouse's ears are a big part of his fame. No matter from which perspective you're looking at him, his ears look the same--round and black.

Read more: About Mickey Mouse | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz19jQONBpD

Greg Smith

Hey Greg...nice videos and narration. Maybe one on PTex would be good. There is one by Javis, that is handy...but I have always wondered why the UV's poly's/islands in PTex seem to only take up a small percentage of the 0-1 UV texture space. If I do UV's manually...sure there will be some white space, but not nearly as much as I see whenever testing PTex. For this reason, mostly, I have never used it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users