3DCoat Forums

Messiah 4.5 AppLink

Javis

Hey everyone,

I'm happy to finally announce a version of the 3DC<>Messiah AppLink, developed by Greg Malick. Greg has been worked diligently on this, and I'm happy to see it's release! Huge thanks to Greg for all of his hard work on this project. :)

So without further ado...

To Install: Decompress the file. Within are two files folders ('Modules' & 'Plugins'). These folders must be placed with in the root of your Messiah directory. Be certain to restart 3DC if you have done this while it was running or the plugin wont run. (Installing is the same for both 32 & 64 bit versions).

To Use: You should now see an armature for 3DC in your Messiah viewport near the top left hand corner.

post-0-12904120226323_thumb.jpg

Clicking the armature will bring up all of the functions which you can perform with the plugin. By clicking any of these operations the currently active mesh will be sent to 3DC for whichever operation you selected. (Note, you must have a mesh selected in the outline/hierarchy panel or you'll get an error message telling you to select one.) Once you have finished your work in 3DC and to send the mesh back to Messiah, in 3DC go to File>Open in original app. You'll then return to Messiah, however you'll notice Messiah is prompting a manual reload of the mesh.

post-0-1290412023248_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately Messiah 4.5 doesn't have a way to automatically load a mesh. To manually load a mesh, in Messiah go to File>Multiply Items>Replace. In the file requester, select the file you are sending back (which will be in whatever directory you have it saved to). That's all there is to it.

post-0-12904120238262_thumb.jpg

Configuration: To access the configuration for the plugin, in Messiah, navigate to the 'Customize' tab, and in the drop down list you will see a '3DC AppLink' option. Once selected you will see a number of options within this panel. Here you can choose:

• Whether or not 3DC will start up if it is not already open (if this is off and 3DC is not open, the plugin will not function. 3DC must manually be started in this case.)
  • Image directory for your textures.
  • Turn on/off any of the armature functions.
  • Choose the 3DC directory. This option is important, be sure to set this before using the plugin if you have multiple installations of 3DC and you wish you use a specific version.
  • If you use 64bit 3DC or Messiah, use it's 64bit counterpart. Likewise for 32bit versions.

post-0-12904120217716_thumb.jpg
Some things to note:
  • This is considered a "Release Candidate", you may still find a few bugs. If so, please report them here in this thread!
  • If you require a SubD mesh to paint on, when sending the mesh to 3DC, turn off SubDs in Messiah but then Sub divide the mesh upon importing. Otherwise the continued placement of the vertices will be off, if sent back and forth more than once.
  • Be sure to install the correct version for which you'll be using with Messiah. (Install the 32bit version of the plugin for Messiah 32bit, 64bit for 64bit). Using Messiah 32bit with 3DC 64bit works with no errors. And vice versa.

The download links are attached to this post.

EDIT: This new build works on XP with no issues.

3DC-AppLink 64bit v4-5.zip

3DC-AppLink 32bit v4-5.zip

This is awesome Geo! Big thanks to both you and Greg Magick, uhm, I mean Malick ;)

I've tried it on two systems, and there was a bit of a problem with one of them, I believe the AppLink might have an issue with a pre-Vista version of Windows. I don't have access to that machine now, but will post more info tomorrow.

Other than that... lookin' great!

This is awesome Geo! Big thanks to both you and Greg Magick, uhm, I mean Malick ;)

I've tried it on two systems, and there was a bit of a problem with one of them, I believe the AppLink might have an issue with a pre-Vista version of Windows. I don't have access to that machine now, but will post more info tomorrow.

Other than that... lookin' great!

Here's a bit of an update, when I try to run the AppLink on a system with XP 64 I get this error:

" The procedure entry point EnumProcessModulesEx could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL "

But it seems to work fine on a Windows 7 based machine, and when I did a little bit of research into what this error could be it seems it might be because of the older OS? Not sure, however.

• Contributor

Here's a bit of an update, when I try to run the AppLink on a system with XP 64 I get this error:

" The procedure entry point EnumProcessModulesEx could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL "

But it seems to work fine on a Windows 7 based machine, and when I did a little bit of research into what this error could be it seems it might be because of the older OS? Not sure, however.

Yes, I just discovered that Microsoft moved some of it's API from Psapi.dll to Kernel32.dll in Windows7

I'm researching how to get a compile that will run on both Windows Versions.

When I get it together can you test on XP 32 & 64 for me?

Yes, I just discovered that Microsoft moved some of it's API from Psapi.dll to Kernel32.dll in Windows7

I'm researching how to get a compile that will run on both Windows Versions.

When I get it together can you test on XP 32 & 64 for me?

Thanks for the info Greg. Yes, I'd be happy to test the AppLink out on both XP 32 & 64!

Here is an update for the plugin. The original post has been edited to include this new version.

This version works with XP! Thanks to Greg for solving the issue. :drinks:

One thing to note: If you're using the 64bit of Messiah or 3DC, than you must of course be using the 64bit version of the other app (64bit requires 64bit), otherwise you may encounter a few errors. Likewise with 32bit, use 32bit of both apps for a seamless workflow.

3DC-AppLink 64bit v4-5.zip

3DC-AppLink 32bit v4-5.zip

Here is an update for the plugin. The original post has been edited to include this new version.

This version works with XP! Thanks to Greg for solving the issue. :drinks:

One thing to note: If you're using the 64bit of Messiah or 3DC, than you must of course be using the 64bit version of the other app (64bit requires 64bit), otherwise you may encounter a few errors. Likewise with 32bit, use 32bit of both apps for a seamless workflow.

I've tested the app on several platforms and it's working great now! Big thanks for the update and the AppLink videos :)

• 2 years later...