Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

Blender Applink

• Please log in to reply
370 replies to this topic

#1 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

3D-Coat/Blender applink manual

Applink Version: 2.00
Updated: 18.10.2011

1. Get Blender (http://www.blender.o...ad/get-blender/)

2. Watch this short Video () to see how to enable the applink in blender
and how to use it.

3. Have fun :)

Note for linux users. You need to set your exchange folder manually. When you press 'Transfer' button first time
in blender it gives you a option to set it up. You can find Exchange folder from your 3D-Coat folder.

Edited by webmaster, 18 October 2011 - 01:53 PM.
Update to Version 2.00

• mifth likes this

#2 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Script updated. 2 Lessons are online. I will make better ones later.

#3 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thanks haikalle :)

#4 Grandmaster B

Grandmaster B

Novice

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Thank you, i'll test it :)

#5 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thanks. I will do some cleaning this week. Today when I was looking the Applink in blender, it reminded me NASA spaceship panel. A lot of diffrent settings and buttons.
Didn't like it at all. Applink should be easy and fast to use. I would like to know your feedback about this. Do you like if there is all these small settings or should the
workflow be easier.

#6 Pimpmymonkey

Pimpmymonkey

Novice

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks. I will do some cleaning this week. Today when I was looking the Applink in blender, it reminded me NASA spaceship panel. A lot of diffrent settings and buttons.
Didn't like it at all. Applink should be easy and fast to use. I would like to know your feedback about this. Do you like if there is all these small settings or should the
workflow be easier.

Thnx for your hard work haikalle.
I will try and test this week and give you some feedback.
I'm not going to try and tell you how to organize your tutes but I think it would be helpful to users if you you titled
the second lesson. Maybe like this: 3D-Coat Applink/Blender Lesson 2 :D

Thnx again,
P. Monk

#7 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

On this computer it doesn't work still (E drive is default) but i am starting to think that is actually due to 3DC maybe.

I know this was the cause of it not showing in blender but you fixed that and it shows fine in blender always now. In 3DC i never see the app link menu though, i am just guessing here but even though 3DC is installed and working fine i am thinking it might use C drive as the default place to look for the app link exchange folder?

#8 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Very interesting. I will double check the code and if everything should work fine I will ask Andrew about it. Thanks for testing. Here is small update.
Now it will automaticly uncheck relative path and set graphics mode = 'GLSL', so my video tutorial 1 is almost useless. :)

Attached File  coat.rar   13.23KB   448 downloads

#9 3DArtist

3DArtist

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

I was able to briefly mess around with the blender applink so far and it's pretty nice with the new features!
Thanks haikalle!

Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

web: gregcopin.com

#10 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

Haikalle i was wrong before, it is working now :)

Sorry i had not watched the new video fully, i didn't watch it at first because i had seen the previous videos you made and thought it was the same as those. Basically the main thing needed was to set the extra things in blender like relative paths, GLSL and setting to textured view etc but it works now.

#11 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

Good to hear that Digital777. :)

#12 Pimpmymonkey

Pimpmymonkey

Novice

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:37 AM

Thank you Haikalle,

You da'man. This is so awesome. :clapping:

What an awesome workflow. I'm now able to go from Blender to 3D-Coat to Photoshop back to 3D-Coat and back to Blender
so easily with everything loaded in Blender ready for a test render. It's just crazy fast. What a fool I am for not trying this sooner. :blink: You and Andrew are the greatest! :yahoo:

P. Monk

#13 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

Thanks a lot. Glad you like it. I have big plans to improve the script so I hope I can take this into right direction.
My plan is to make seamless workflow even if your objects in your scene are in diffrent 3b files. Stay tuned :)

Right now one of the limitation is that everytime when you bring several objects into 3d-coat it will merge them into same
.obj file. I hope that when Andrew has some time he could think the workflow for situation where you bring several objects into
3d-coat paint room( not the same time) and taking them back into your 3d program.

#14 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

One thing i noticed last time i used this was if i scaled down the model in blender then export to 3dc and if i re-imported from 3dc after and back to blender it had 2 models at different sizes.

Is the Modifiers option needed for this or is that different? when i think think of modifiers i think the blender effects but scale and rotations etc is a standard thing so different?

#15 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

One thing i noticed last time i used this was if i scaled down the model in blender then export to 3dc and if i re-imported from 3dc after and back to blender it had 2 models at different sizes.

Is the Modifiers option needed for this or is that different? when i think think of modifiers i think the blender effects but scale and rotations etc is a standard thing so different?

Yes, modifiers are diffrent thing. They should not have any effect on behaviour you had. When you pressed export button did you have "export obj" on? Or did you use .obj file already there. And when you pressed import button was "Mesh" on or off?
Also when you see that something odd happens it help if you check your blender command prompt window. It usually say the root of the error? If there is an error, taking a screenshot would help a lot.

#16 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

hmmm, can't get mine to work, still don't know my way around 2.5

is it possible u could post a blender where it's preinstalled? hehehehe :pardon:
"Uploading 08O. But problem - no electricity now. Notebook shows 35 min to the end of power, upload - 30. Who will be the first? :)"

#17 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

@haikalle -

That happened just with the default settings that are there as soon as you add it to blender, all i did was set the path to the object and exchange folder. The scale change was done in blender with it's shortcut (s key i think), I think i looked in the command prompt window also and it seemed fine so i just guessed you had to keep the model at the same scale but i guess not.

By the way with the model does it matter where you load it from to start with? By this i mean is it better to load it in blender or 3DC first or should either be ok?

#18 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Script updated 1.61

Attached File  coat.rar   13.65KB   481 downloads

- Supports 3d-coat -> Blender workflow
- New video tutorials

@Digital777

You can try this script version. With this it dosen't matter where you start. You can start your model in 3d-coat or blender.

@kay_Eva

I posted a new tutorial. There is no talk but they show the basic workflow. Hope it will solve the issues you have. But if dosen't, let me know.

#19 Digital777

Digital777

Novice

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Thanks haikalle, i just downloaded and will test the new version, the new videos that show the workflow are useful also. :)

#20 Guest_wingnut_*

Guest_wingnut_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

Will this work with 64 bit as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users