3DCoat Forums

Voxels - Canging the surface by drawing quick splines

PoopaScoop

• Advanced Member

1) Be able to actually draw and edit your profile splines in the sketch tool, and be able create a object from just one quick profile spline - the default, other profile spline would be a circle, and this too would be editable from some kind of pop out display.

2) I'd love to be able to draw closed editable splines or lines on the surface of a voxel object and then bevel them in or out or even just edit them and have the surface update. I saw a amazing example of this on the 24k pound system of Freeform pro. I think it's important to be able to at any time edit multiple splines till the desired shape is accomplished.

A must see - 1:40 minute into video example:-

There are a lot of cool possibilites with splines and voxel sculpting/modelling, another example would be to just draw a single line on the surface then draw another profile line out in the air, and have the surface update and change to the new line! No more painfully trying to get the right shape than trying to best smooth the bumpiness out...

I get excited when I think of the flexibility of splines coupled with the power of voxels.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

It may not be as elaborate as that several thousand dollar application, but you already have spline and Bsplines in Voxels. Along with freeform primitives and the curves tool, you'd be amazed at what you can model and how fast you can do it, in 3DC.

• Advanced Member

+1 agreement with Poopa Scoopa. Some kind of sketcher for extrusions or voxel lofts and modifying the shapes would really help hard surface design. Also as we all know- price point has no correlation with power. So there is no reason that you cant improve the methods of editing primitive creation. The current workflow is very much geared toward character design. Hard surface design would benefit greatly from a more elegant implementation of splines. Andrew could probably get a bunch of workflow hints from Sensable.

• Advanced Member

This type of stuff reminds me of the moi 3d style to model. I know you can do the freeform stuff to a point but i think these sort of tools to re-shape the voxels would be really great.

Another idea/method you could also have is some sort of built in curve/noise editor to distort the whole model or a selection etc. A voxel app i have seen called Voxelogic Acropora and a blender script does this type of stuff with noises and maths functions etc so it is great for making terrains and these type of features would be great in 3DC also. The curve based editing options would be very useful though i think so it gets my +1 vote also.