Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

• Please log in to reply
915 replies to this topic

#861 Pimpmymonkey

Pimpmymonkey

Novice

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

You know what I've got used to do to know when the program had completed some operations? To put the mouse pointer over a different menu option than the one selected. As soon as it highlights I know the program is back to his externally-conscious state. Ouch..

+1 Great minds think alike? :rolleyes:

Another problem that I find particularly annoying is the progress bar sticking at 99% finished for a longer time than than the first 98%. If the final 1% takes longer to complete than the first 99% then obviously the 99% was only 50% or less. Every time that I experience this I begin to wonder if the program has gone into an endless loop and I feel compelled to kill it and start over. The only thing stopping me is the knowing from experience that I will end up in the same place. :(

P. Monk

#862 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

Its funny,I use this workaround too. :)

Me too, or place the cursor over the model and wait for the brush to appear.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#863 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

Progress bars should have 'cancel' button to cancel operation if it takes too long like in autoretopo.

#864 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

Progress bars should have 'cancel' button to cancel operation if it takes too long like in autoretopo.

The problem here is that I'm not sure how well it would work. For example in the render room you can hit Esc. to cancel but I usually have to sit here hitting it repeatedly for a couple minutes or longer before it stops.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#865 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

Yes, I noticed it as well in render room, in fact I stopped to use it because sometimes I couldn't switch render off at all.I thought it's a problem with 3DC reading ESC key and reported it as a bug but it seems some operations make 3DC not much responsive.

BTW @Anrew in 3.3.14 there is a bug - Quads tool snaps to reference geometry polygon's edges.Sometimes quads draw on surface but randomly it locks and starts to snap to geometry polygon edges which is very annoying.

#866 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

I don't know much about programming but it seems as though internal stuff like calculations take priority over user input like clicks and keyboard presses.

BTW I see a problem with the new brush size issue in the retopo room. The brush size is very small for some tools which I don't like but I understand why Andrew did it. The problem is when you try to make it bigger, either with the bracket keys or with the mouse, it starts lagging behind the cursor. you can see in this little video the brush follows the cursor just fine, then I hit the ] key a bunch of times to "make it bigger" and there is a big lag. Then I hit the [ key to "make it smaller" and the lag goes away.

http://screencast.com/t/Yjc3YmM1Y2
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#867 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:54 AM

I agree. Any operation that has a progress bar should also have a large "Cancel" button right square in your face so you can hit it at any moment if it's taking too long.

The problem here is that I'm not sure how well it would work. For example in the render room you can hit Esc. to cancel but I usually have to sit here hitting it repeatedly for a couple minutes or longer before it stops.

This should be fixed. I call that a bug. It's annoyed me for a while but luckily I don't use the render feature too much.

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#868 PoopaScoop

PoopaScoop

Novice

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

Density masking for the auto-retopo feature only works when importing meshes. If I try to quadrulating a voxel mesh, nothing will happen when I try to mask off areas at the density stage in the wizard. It'd be great if I didn't have to export it.
Also I noticed if you delete you retopo result and try to do it again a second time, 3dcoat becomes unstable and crashes.

Sorry if these points have been raised already, just to many pages to go through to check.

#869 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Density masking for the auto-retopo feature only works when importing meshes. If I try to quadrulating a voxel mesh, nothing will happen when I try to mask off areas at the density stage in the wizard. It'd be great if I didn't have to export it.

Do you have any way to reproduce it? It seems to be working on my end here with various vox sculptures.

Also I noticed if you delete you retopo result and try to do it again a second time, 3dcoat becomes unstable and crashes.

Sorry if these points have been raised already, just to many pages to go through to check.

I can confirm that, it causes some instability when repeating the autopo tool. Build 3.3.14, Win7 64bit, 64bit DX CUDA version.

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#870 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

Autoretopo is generally unstable, it would be great if it would be done more stable and reliable.It often crashes 3DC without warning or it never ends (it will calculate for eternity), especially with objects created by axial symmetry.

It would be great to have sharp edges modulator for autoretopo, it follows voxels sometimes to accurate and autoretopo mesh looks like smoothed without sharp edges.

#871 PoopaScoop

PoopaScoop

Novice

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

I'm a idiot, the reason why masking the density wasn't working was that the depth was on zero, I must have done that when modelling some other model.

Crashing with retopo is tempermental, sometimes it crashes like crazy then sometimes it's solid as a rock for hours.

#872 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:26 PM

I'm a idoit, the reason why masking the density wasn't working was that the depth was on zero, I must dont that when modelling some other model.

Crashing with retopo is tempermental, sometimes it crashes like crazy then sometimes it's solid as a rock for hours.

Before deleting a layer I often click "Clear." I'd prefer that it only clear the active/selected layer, and not the whole room...but if it is the only layer you have, I would try that. Sometimes I have had some hidden points hidden or hanging out in space (a bug I'm sure), and the only way to rectify the instability is to hit "clear."

#873 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:20 AM

It could be nice to jump to a surface mode when importing an already retopo model. A surface mode that could construct multi res meshes. A zbrush like. Half of this already exists in voxels surface mode.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#874 BeatKitano

BeatKitano

Khaaaaan!!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

It could be nice to jump to a surface mode when importing an already retopo model. A surface mode that could construct multi res meshes. A zbrush like. Half of this already exists in voxels surface mode.

That's what 3dc needs for voxel refinement... with cuda acceleration it could be a game changer against big guns like zbrush. Imagine the freedom of voxel combined with precision and speed of polygons... With autoretopo as bridge between the two you could do almost everything without 3d modeling software.

THAT is actually a feature that is usefull. And I know I should be posting that in feature request, but other have done so for quite a while now and visibility seams way higher on this thread, sadly...

#875 AbnRanger

AbnRanger

Master

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

That's what 3dc needs for voxel refinement... with cuda acceleration it could be a game changer against big guns like zbrush. Imagine the freedom of voxel combined with precision and speed of polygons... With autoretopo as bridge between the two you could do almost everything without 3d modeling software.

THAT is actually a feature that is usefull. And I know I should be posting that in feature request, but other have done so for quite a while now and visibility seams way higher on this thread, sadly...

That is what Surface mode is designed to do...give you the speed of polygonal sculpting, and for the most part, it does just that. However, 3DC would become even more versatile with the Surface mode tools and engine mirrored to the Sculpt Room. I think a good goal for v4 would be perhaps a few major additions like this and multi-thread the rest of the application, then go into some deep consultation with some ZBrush veterans like Leigh Bamforth, Bay Raitt, J. Edwards, etc...to help refine the brushes and sculpting toolset.

#876 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

3DC should support ZB alpha for import into 3DC pen, it worked but it doesn't work now :(

#877 kadu3d

kadu3d

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

I strongly agree that voxel-surface tools/algorithms should also be available in surface panel/room.

#878 Greg

Greg

Novice

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:3d, drawing, painting, computer programming

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

I think it's really great that a program I bought mainly for painting and retopology has grown into what 3D Coat is now. Can't wait to see what the future holds!
Greg

#879 pbowmar

pbowmar

Novice

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

Still no 3.3.14 for Linux :(

#880 Mykyl

Mykyl

Novice

• PipPip