Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

• Please log in to reply
915 replies to this topic

#821 G-Rom84

G-Rom84

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

UVLayout also has the ability to create 'pins' (using the A key shortcut) that hold specific vertices in place as the smoothing is carried out, very handy for the smoothing of tight corners in which you never want some vertexes to move and create overlaps.

Hm, I think it would be handy to have such features in 3dc also. ok.

I create the base UV cuts in ZB/UVMaster, those cuts work as a great starting point while the auto-UV option in 3DCoat just creates garbage which's unfortunately as useless as hard to clean up. I then edit and smooth them in 3DCoat using its excellent UV toolset.

Actually im not quite sure but have seen on youtube, that in zbrush unwrapped model also could be tweaked and threated with brushes just like any 3d tools in flattened mode. But have not tried that approach with UV master... I am lazy(

Anyways, my point stands that your best option for real-time/game engines is have the least seams possible, preferrably just one island, and keep those seams as well hidden as possible.

I am agree of course, but in practice you will often approach details wich needed to be cut-off for better unwraping horns, pimps... noses and ears are also annoying you know it...

Actually the texture maps show up in the UV preview window normally in the Texture Editor (Paint Room) just not in the retopo's UV preview. To be honest I don't understand why that would make any sense, since while you're retopo'ing you - as far as I know - shouldn't think about the final texture, just about seams and distortion. Care to explain why you'd need that?

No, when in texture editing mode there is no option in windows-popups to see the uv preview, it is useful some times to see the flattened version of a texture and paint on it, also some times I prefer to tweak a bit UVs to match the painted details rather then to redraw/clone them on texture.
for the retopo - yes, i dont care about how the uvs are looking during that process.

#822 Britain

Britain

Novice

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Back Packing, Rock Climbing in modified vehicles.

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Well, there is an auto scale button, though I find I need to scale it up just a bit more than that, then the res is correct. If it's not enough detail, hit Undo and scale it up some more, then hit Enter again.

Where is this Auto scale button?
Thanks

#823 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,406 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Where is this Auto scale button?
Thanks

Right under the Estimated Polycount on the Merge Params panel.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#824 Calabi

Calabi

Novice

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

Not sure if this is on topic sorry if not, but the add/split command in the retopo room for me I cant split anymore with it. It just snaps to verts. I dont know if its a setting or something, if it is I cannot find it.

edit: Also the points and faces tool, cant add faces, I can manipulate the points but not add the faces.

#825 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

Any idea what this Models/Splines in Paint mode will do ?

http://www.3d-coat.c...28292774795.jpg

#826 artman

artman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Interests:Henri Corbin
    Brian Wilson
    Hikaru No Go
    Noah23
    and 3DCoat.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

Its for voxels. :)
Lest limbs be reddened and rent--I spring the trap that is set--As I loose the snare you may glimpse me there--For surely you shall forget
"The Wind In the Willows", Chapter 7 "The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn"

#827 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

ahh I see :rolleyes:

@Andrew Autoropo doesn't retopo all snakes properly,if snake has links which doesn't touch only first link will be done,it happens in snakes where links dont touch each other.It would be cool if only first link in any snake would be autoretopo other could be instanced,so it would be possible uvmap one link and this uvs would be transfered to all other links.UVmapping all links or even copying uvs to them would be too much work.

Posted Image

In fact ... if they are multiple voxels volumes not-connected (like you did some axial symmetry) only one will be autoretopo.

Posted Image

It should work like like that

-autorepo
-first 'link' is autoretopo
-uvmap it
- and here new feature is needed - create instances of uvmaped autoretopo first object in same places where 'missing' links should be.The whole point of snakes or axial symmetry is that you have objects in some very specific position.They should share same UVs because they are duplicated objects in most cases.

#828 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

Call me crazy, but I've never seen those two tabs before and can't find them. Where did you find them?
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#829 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Phil, check the Twitter. It's the feature not yet there but will come very soon.

#830 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

Thanks, that's funny I'm reading Twitter all day I don't know how I missed that. lol
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#831 Psmith

Psmith

Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

Taurus:

Right now, the AUTOPO algorithm only works on connected objects, and, if there are disconnected objects, it chooses the largest one to work it's magic on. Andrew is fixing this, (or, rather, modifying this behaviour).

Greg Smith

#832 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

That would be great if it would be done.

But it also will need some kind of UV-instance or copy that would copy UVs from one links to all the others, uvmapping 100 links wouldn't be fun at all or even several objects mirrored by axial symmetry

#833 dirtrobot

dirtrobot

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Not sure if this is on topic sorry if not, but the add/split command in the retopo room for me I cant split anymore with it. It just snaps to verts. I dont know if its a setting or something, if it is I cannot find it.

edit: Also the points and faces tool, cant add faces, I can manipulate the points but not add the faces.

I believe if you decrease the brush radius and zoom in you can get around the snapping.

Did you try right clicking when the system-proposed face appears under your cursor?

#834 Calabi

Calabi

Novice

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

@dirtbot, Yeah I found that out, stupid me, ignore that post.

#835 MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:54 AM

Actually im not quite sure but have seen on youtube, that in zbrush unwrapped model also could be tweaked and threated with brushes just like any 3d tools in flattened mode. But have not tried that approach with UV master... I am lazy(

Hey, that sounds great, I hadn't heard of that before :) Will sure try it, thanks for the hint.

I am agree of course, but in practice you will often approach details wich needed to be cut-off for better unwraping horns, pimps... noses and ears are also annoying you know it...

Sure, if a visual seam is to be expected or won't matter, it's actually smarter to add the UV seam, to make the UV islands more relaxed. I should have said "try to keep to one island per continuous material type".

No, when in texture editing mode there is no option in windows-popups to see the uv preview, it is useful some times to see the flattened version of a texture and paint on it, also some times I prefer to tweak a bit UVs to match the painted details rather then to redraw/clone them on texture.

That's really weird, I've always got that option pinned on my layout. Maybe you're not finding it 'coz you're looking at the windows-popups menu item, un-obviously enough this specific window is found on textures->texture uv editor. It's one of the most amazing things in 3DCoat actually, allows you to check normal, diffuse and specular maps, and even paint straight on the flattened UV while you see it updating in (semi) real-time in the 3D view. :good:

BTW Andrew, as we're talking about not-real-time painting performance, would you mind checking this thread (if you didn't yet):
http://www.3d-coat.c...446

#836 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

That's really weird, I've always got that option pinned on my layout. Maybe you're not finding it 'coz you're looking at the windows-popups menu item, un-obviously enough this specific window is found on textures->texture uv editor. It's one of the most amazing things in 3DCoat actually, allows you to check normal, diffuse and specular maps, and even paint straight on the flattened UV while you see it updating in (semi) real-time in the 3D view. :good:

I agree that's amazing, but I'm curious what you mean by "semi realtime". The painting always been fully real time for me going back to the first version I bought early in the 2.x era, only the displacement had a slight delay (when you let go of the brush), but now that's real time too.
Phil Nolan
Generalist

#837 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Updated to 3.3.14 (Win only, Mac & Linux - soon)

- I made possibility to upload turnables automatically, very easy- see example - http://bit.ly/d3H3rc
- non-connected objects will be supported for Auto-retopo.
- Falloff will work in eraser tool too
- I made nice models preview in Merge/spline tools instead of old ugly file tree. I made this maily because I am about to provide big library of models in merge/spline tool and it will be just impossible to use it without nice previews. This is how it looks now - http://bit.ly/ds5R2I
- I disabled possibility to transform volume in proxy mode from surface to voxels to prevent loses. It changes nothing in workflow but prevents random loses while working with proxy.
- It will be possible to smooth UV islands edges in UV room in brush mode.
- Incorrect work of Split and Cut&Clone on some objects fixed (dense objects with high Split Border value).
- There is new and useful item in VoxTree RMB menu - Merge visible
- VoxTree/Shaders will be accesible in render room too

#838 PalSan

PalSan

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

- It will be possible to smooth UV islands edges in UV room in brush mode.

very good! :drinks:

#839 Taurus

Taurus

Novice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

Updated to 3.3.14 (Win only, Mac & Linux - soon)

- non-connected objects will be supported for Auto-retopo.

it needs more polishing :

- not all duplicated objects are autoretopo
- mesh broken in some objects

Posted Image

#840 G-Rom84

G-Rom84

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

That's really weird, I've always got that option pinned on my layout. Maybe you're not finding it 'coz you're looking at the windows-popups menu item, un-obviously enough this specific window is found on textures->texture uv editor. It's one of the most amazing things in 3DCoat actually, allows you to check normal, diffuse and specular maps, and even paint straight on the flattened UV while you see it updating in (semi) real-time in the 3D view.

thanks, finally I found that flattened texture preview, my fault I looked for it in a wrong place lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users