3DCoat Forums

3DC-V33-Logo.png

I am happy to announce the long-awaited 3D-Coat v.3.3 featuring Ptex support, multiple program changes and improvements is now officially out and available for download.

Ptex is a texture mapping system developed by Walt Disney Animation Studios for production-quality rendering.

Please look the list of changes there.

You may download it there.

This release is just a milestone toward further improvements.

I plan to make experiments and improvements with brush engine after this release.

• Contributor

Btw, it is not mentioned in press release (because it was done today), but one major bug is fixed there - voxel baking problem mentioned by Artman, AbnRanger and michalis (holes/clipping in normalmap on dense voxel meshes)

I made a bunch of test with different problematic files and it seems problem is really fixed. :)

...New snapping tools makes our job so much easier. Thanks Andrew for adding them into 3d-coat...

Yes, as long as you don't use meshes with more polys than 30k...

In my tests 3DC "freezed" when I was using the snapping method "snap to nearest" with high poly meshes. No way to use it. The other both routines works, but "snap to closest along normal" is very slow, too.

Fantastic!

I always get excited when I see an update email in my inbox! :yahoo:

Downloading now.

Hope you and your family are doing alright :)

Yes, the downloadable manual needs to be updated. Personally I don't understand why we need a downloadable one when one comes with the program, unless it's just for people to heck out before they download the program.

• Reputable Contributor

Question, I never noticed this before though it might have always been true. I have downloaded the linux version 3.3 but noticed that it is opened with the Wine program emulating windows under linux. Has that always been the case? The linux version will not run unless I have Wine open it plus I have to reinstall my license each time. If this has been asked before, forgive me, I just started using Linux about a month ago.

Operating System Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Edit: Since the linux version does not have a regular install should I just overwrite the version 3.2.11 folder and in that way are my settings saved and I do have to put my reinstall my license...

Edit: Ok, I just overwrote the 3.2.11 folder(after saving a copy of it) and my settings were saved plus no reinstalling of the license. B)

Thanks Andrew for another great update, Since 2007 I been seeing you listen,respond and do your best to give us the software that helps us create. Looking forward to seeing the brush engine updated too...

• Advanced Member

OK. The serial number eventually worked. I've had this problem before. It seems to take a few tries to work.

I tried the Ptex workflow with Cinema 4D and it SORT OF works. The normal map is a little messed up. The strokes are broken up. The color map seems to have come over OK.

There's actually a lot of maps that aren't being used and C4D can't read .mtl files, so they have to placed manually, which isn't too big a deal.

Anyone else try this with C4D?

• Reputable Contributor

OK. The serial number eventually worked. I've had this problem before. It seems to take a few tries to work.

I tried the Ptex workflow with Cinema 4D and it SORT OF works. The normal map is a little messed up. The strokes are broken up. The color map seems to have come over OK.

There's actually a lot of maps that aren't being used and C4D can't read .mtl files, so they have to placed manually, which isn't too big a deal.

Anyone else try this with C4D?

Check out this video by Javis Jones, it might help...

"3D-Coat Workflows - Ptex in external engines with no Ptex support"