3DCoat Forums

Audi R8 Spyder 2008

philnolan3d

I started with this LightWave model and merged it into voxels.

2010-01-26_0339.png

The rest is sculpted. Except it was a little lumpy and hard to smooth, that's where the multi-res would come in, so I retopo'd the whole thing and merged it back in from the retopo. That smoothed out the lumps.

• Advanced Member

That's actually very nice!. I'm impressed with the general form of it. Really nice modeling.

ps - I'm sure you could get even sharper edges if you separate some of those parts, like the doors for example. But you know this already as I've seen your girlie model with the strappy dress. :)

Thanks. I'll have to see if I remember how I did it. Really I have blueprint background images set up and I used curves to cut the lines in, then SF Extrude to indent where the glass is. I would have liked to use a couple of other Surface tools but was having trouble with them. Luckily those problems were solved in the 3.2 update.

• Advanced Member

And that is why I would like for 3d Coat to have a cursor so that you can more easily place your primitives in your scene rather than using the manipulator and so you can align primitives and voxel objects occurding to the placement of the cursor object as in Blender.

Oh but not to talk about that. Just seeing your primitive use reminded me of how awkward the placement of them can be sometimes.

And the car looks awesome :)

Like this:

2010-01-26_1902.png

Sorry I was going to add this to the last post but you responded too quick, :p:

You are really crazy phil... sculpting a car in 3DC. :)

Imagine you could use the reference image as a projection for the voxel tools?! Like a mask. This would be a great feature. What do you think?

That's an interesting idea. Ever since I first heard about voxels I had thought of doing a car because that's how they design real cars, with a life size clay model

, I've just been waiting for voxels to catch up to he point where it could be done.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Phil for tips!! :good:

it's true that we don't necessarily think all functions, it is still full of things to see as the extraction of normal map with a low and high, UV mapping still unknown to me at the moment I uses UVlayout for it...

• Advanced Member

I think that you can easily see why 3dcoat can be frustrating for design work. So much potential, but the tools to manipulate voxels do not give the control to create clean fair surfaces. Andrew is doing a lot though so...hopefully in the future.

Thanks for posting. Please include a video of rough techniques if possible.

PS Your cut-lines are a little too pronounced/wide. Might be OK for a HotWheels model though.

Your cut-lines are a little too pronounced/wide. Might be OK for a HotWheels model though.

Yeah this was due to my voxel count still being fairly low. Right now I'm still at only about 2 million tri's. Frankly I've been getting a little frustrated with it and last night before bed was considering just scrapping it and modeling the car with regular polys. Been a while since I've done a serious LightWave model anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The hard edges were... hard. But really smoothing out the lumps was the hardest part. Obviously a car body needs to be extremely smooth. Not to mention the poly count was starting to get very high already. The sharp edges need a higher poly count, but that same count covers the large smooth and flat areas too.

BTW here's a WIP shot of the LightWave version. I have since filled in the missing spot on the side:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1719/audir8wip05.jpg

• 3 years later...