3DCoat Forums

Sculpting hair

philnolan3d

I've always had a hard time trying to sculpt hair and I was thinking about it just now when I had an idea. What about using Muscles? I just tried it really quick and got some interesting results. It's not real good for bangs though because the muscle wants to stick to something instead of being free flowing. Perhaps this could give ideas for a new hair tool or adjustments to Muscles so it could be better used for hair. Here's a video test I did really quick. It's the first time I tried doing it so of course it's not perfect.

Youtube:

Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/6478727

• Reputable Contributor
I've always had a hard time trying to sculpt hair and I was thinking about it just now when I had an idea. What about using Muscles? I just tried it really quick and got some interesting results. It's not real good for bangs though because the muscle wants to stick to something instead of being free flowing. Perhaps this could give ideas for a new hair tool or adjustments to Muscles so it could be better used for hair. Here's a video test I did really quick. It's the first time I tried doing it so of course it's not perfect.

Youtube:

Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/6478727

Pretty cool...going to have to try that

• Contributor

The hair and feather sculpting you guys are doing are a terrific way to use the Muscle tool! Myself, I've experimented a bit with using it for modelling drapery and cloth folds. But I wish we had more options regarding the shape and type of Muscles -- we have only three drop-down variants. I'd like to be able to import a 3D object or use a map for shaping my Muscles, like we can we many other tools. And that's such an obvious idea that Andrew has no doubt already thought much about implementing it, and that we therefore will see it . . . soon?

The hair and feather sculpting you guys are doing are a terrific way to use the Muscle tool! Myself, I've experimented a bit with using it for modelling drapery and cloth folds. But I wish we had more options regarding the shape and type of Muscles -- we have only three drop-down variants. I'd like to be able to import a 3D object or use a map for shaping my Muscles, like we can we many other tools. And that's such an obvious idea that Andrew has no doubt already thought much about implementing it, and that we therefore will see it . . . soon?

If there can be an option added to clamp off the ends of the muscles for creating clothing as an example then all sorts of stuff can be done. Scarfs, wraps, belts, you name it.

• 2 weeks later...