Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat V3 BETA2 for Linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

Posted Image
There you can download V3 BETA 2 for Linux
Both 32 and 64 bit versions available

www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/3D-Coat-V3-BETA2.tar.gz

Several notes about possible problems:

If you have any visual issues (like solid white window on 3d-coat start up),
please set "System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> None".
For navigation you can use either "Super" ("Windows logo") or "Alt" key, but
for better experience please set "System -> Preferences -> Windows -> Movement key -> Super".

How to manage swap files under Linux.
Show your swap files with Terminal command
swapon -s
If the list is empty you should create swap file with Terminal commands
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=2000 (or whatever size you want in megabytes)
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile
To make swap file permanent
sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Add at the end of the file and save
/swapfile none swap sw 0 0

#2 habernir

habernir

• 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

hi
when i run 3d-coat for 64 bit its say

/3d-coat-64: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

how can i solve this problem?

i have fedora 11

#3 StriderX

StriderX

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

Open a terminal and type:

su
put in your root password

then run this command

ln /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3.8.2 /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.4

then try to run 3DC
OS. Fedora & Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit | CPU. Intel i7 | RAM. 12GB | Video. Nvidia GTX 480

#4 Morpheus

Morpheus

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

Hi Andrew

3d-coat appears to change the permissions of the .dmrc file and home folder after running the program. I need to reset the permissions every time after running the program.

The bugs I previously reported have been sorted. Thanks!!

Erik

p.s I purchased 3d-brush V2.10 back in october 2007. What will be the cost to upgrade to V3.0 for linux?

#5 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

p.s I purchased 3d-brush V2.10 back in october 2007. What will be the cost to upgrade to V3.0 for linux?

I think 80$ - standard upgrade price V2->V3
General price notice:

V2(Win)->V3(Linux) 60-80$ (depends on purchasing date as usual)
V3(Win)->V3(Linux) 0$ but only if Win license will never be used since getting Linux license, win key will be disabled
V3(Win)->V3(Linux+Win) - 40$.

#6 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

I think 80$ - standard upgrade price V2->V3
General price notice:

V2(Win)->V3(Linux) 60-80$ (depends on purchasing date as usual)
V3(Win)->V3(Linux) 0$ but only if Win license will never be used since getting Linux license, win key will be disabled
V3(Win)->V3(Linux+Win) - 40$.

Very fair! I will be upgrading to dual win/Linux. :)

Vimeo|3DC Training Videos|Portfolio

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#7 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

This sounds great! I'm taking win/Linux too. Thanks a lot Andrew!

#8 habernir

habernir

• 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

thanks StriderX.
i still cant believe that there is sclupting tool for linux
autodesk and pixologic can't do it but you do it!!!!!! one man against this two giant .
JUST ONE WORD WOOW!!!!!
keep the good job my friend.

#9 Morpheus

Morpheus

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Andrew,

I see it is not possible to order the Linux version via the website yet. Is it possible to get a serial number for the beta version for the time being?

regards

Erik

#10 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

• Interests:3D, Swimming, Hiking, Motorbiking, Shooting, Archery, Militaria, Green Technology, Sustainability, Ancient History & The Future

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Andrew,

I see it is not possible to order the Linux version via the website yet. Is it possible to get a serial number for the beta version for the time being?

regards

Erik

Hey there,

I hope so too!

Report any bugs & post feature requests on the 3DC Mantis page: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

#11 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

A linux bug:

Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit

Opening an existing file (tried with 3 different files) that were created with 3DC in windows will not open, and the interface starts going haywire.

#12 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

A request:

Is it possible to use the Right CTRL and ALT keys? Right SHIFT works.

I am left handed and it's a huge strain to use the left side of the keyboard like that.

PS- Huge thanks again for a Linux build. It's performance is actually WAY faster then the windows 64 build... :D

#13 kay_Eva

kay_Eva

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:48 AM

A request:

Is it possible to use the Right CTRL and ALT keys? Right SHIFT works.

I am left handed and it's a huge strain to use the left side of the keyboard like that.

PS- Huge thanks again for a Linux build. It's performance is actually WAY faster then the windows 64 build... :D

for reals?

too bad I'm not good enough at Linux to get my tablet to work but I'll boot into it really fast to check it out for myself

dang looking at Andrew's post I remember how much I don't know about Linux even though it's installed on here. Let's see... I'm just curious anyone care to tell me how much of a speed difference there is in Linux vs Windows. I'm probably not going to take the time to try to set all of that up being a Linux noob unless I know it's worth it. Last time I installed Linux and it took me a lot of tries to do it for the sake of blender sculpting back before I knew about 3d Coat only to find out there there wasn't much difference ...
"Uploading 08O. But problem - no electricity now. Notebook shows 35 min to the end of power, upload - 30. Who will be the first? :)"

#14 haikalle

haikalle

Journeymen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:23 AM

Yep! right ctrl + alt would be nice to have. also the smaller enter button dosen't work and I'm using that quite a lot when setting number parameters.

kay_eva: You can try to install ubuntu 9.04. Your wacom tablet will work in there and you don't have do anything. Problem right now is that I'm not able to get it work in 3d-coat.
In gimp it works but not in 3d-coat. About speed it is good already. I will do some testing later when linux version is released.

#15 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that, thanks haikalle. The numerical enter key is essential too. I use it quite often.

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 as well, as haikalle said, Ubuntu supports it right out of the box, GIMP works, but 3DC doesn't. However, I think this might help with that, I found this resource invaluable:

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

Also here is some general information about Ubuntu with a Wacom from the Ubuntu 9.04 FAQ:
Wacom tablet hotplugging

Wacom tablets now are enabled automatically when attached, no longer requiring xorg.conf modification. Button mapping configuration is not yet supported, but can be set manually by adding an fdi file to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/.

So the keys buttons, but are not correct (coming from windows), they are backwards (again compared to windows), and you cannot customize them.

#16 SERGYI

SERGYI

Developer

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

haikalle
geothefaust

About problems with “Right Control”, “Right Alt” and “Numerical Enter” under Ubuntu 9.04 you were right… Moreover, for some weird circumstances hardware codes in Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04 are different for “Insert”, “Home”, “Page Up”, “Delete”, “End”, “Page Down”, “Left”, “Right”, “Up”, “Down”, and “Numerical Divide” keys. Uploaded RC3 version contains appropriate fix. Thank you!

#17 SERGYI

SERGYI

Developer

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

haikalle
geothefaust

RC3 has been updated again recently. This time it contains fix that enables 3d-coat to use Wacom tablet under Linux Ubuntu 9.04 out of the box, i.e. w/o “xorg.conf” file modification.

kay_Eva
Don’t be afraid of Linux. Latest version of Linux Ubuntu is absolutely amazing. Drivers are installed automatically through Internet. Updates are also automatic. This is OS for which productivity, stability, maintenance-free ability, and efficiency in accessing and using user’s applications are in the first place. Frankly speaking, tuned Windows XP also has those abilities, but in Linux Ubuntu you get all those out of the box.

#18 Javis

Javis

Pilgway Helper

• Custodian
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

Thank you Sergyi!! I will download it and test it out. :) Very nice additions.

#19 jim

jim

• 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:51 AM

hi running Ubuntu 9.04 64
I have a bug- while mesh painting 3d coats title bar flickers. After mesh painting for some time while the 3d coat title is flicking 3d coat crashes.
Some times the program crashes for no apparent reason.

#20 SERGYI

SERGYI

Developer

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

jim
Thanks to your hint about title bar flickering the problem has been localized and solved. Also that bug could damage 3d-coat files. So please delete version and download updated just a few minutes ago RC3 archive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)