3DCoat Forums

What's wong with my import?

Leo Chen

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Contributor

I thinkg it is problem of smoothing groups. Zbrush displays everything in flat shading, 3dc uses smooth shading. Geometry is not changed.

This might be the case, yes. But it also It looks like in 3D-Coat it all depends on the shader used. For example, with standard PBR shader I have the same issues when importing text generated with a 3rd party program. And it does not matter whether the geometry has vertex normals or not. PBR depth shader does not display such anomalies.

Anyway, just to be on the safe side import the text as voxels. But first make sure your voxel layer has sufficient density and the geometry - sufficient resolution to maintain the shape of the letters. This works every time and will display properly with all shaders.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Yes it is the shading... 3DC has it's own way of doing things like any program.

The below is importing using surface mode as you have done.

Look at the picture and the top word is a low polygon mesh imported as is. The result is the same as yours.

Next word has flat subdivision applied from the 3DC import dialog box. Shading issue gone but staircasing effect because no smoothing is done on the polygons... This is great for some hard surface models but not for text. You might have enough polygons to use flat subdivision but I can not tell from the images if you can or not to avoid staricasing.

Next word is a high polygon mesh imported, form is good. This would be also good for voxels...

Last word is a low polygon mesh imported with hard edges and the normal subdivision is used from 3DC's import panel. 3DC recognizes hard edges upon import for both surface mode and voxel mode.  I personally use Wings3D for creating hard edges though any program that creates hard edges you should be able to use.

Hope the above helps some in understanding how 3DC works.

post-518-0-72644700-1445697296_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

Hi Leo.

Try triangulating the mesh before importing it to sculpt room.

Thank you, ajz3d.

I have "triangulated" the mesh before exporting from LightWave.

PS:

I lean from the following link(floor 16~18):

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148555-Chinese-Text

PS:

Before triangulated, the 3D Chinese Text will look like the following image:

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130513&d=1445614384

BTW, how to "triangulate" the mesh in 3DCoat?

Yes it is the shading... 3DC has it's own way of doing things like any program.

The below is importing using surface mode as you have done.

Look at the picture and the top word is a low polygon mesh import as is. The result is the same as yours.

Next word has flat subdivision applied from the 3DC import dialog box. Shading issue gone but staircasing effect because no smoothing is done on the polygons... This is great for some hard surface models but not for text. You might have enough polygons to use flat subdivision but I can not tell from the images if you can or not to avoid staricasing.

Next word is a high polygon mesh imported, form is good. This would be also good for voxels...

Last word is a low polygon mesh imported with hard edges and the normal subdivision is used from 3DC's import panel. 3DC recognizes hard edges upon import for both surface mode and voxel mode.  I personally use Wings3D for creating hard edge though any program that creates hard edges you should be able to use.

Hope the above helps some in understanding how 3DC works.

Thank you, digman.

Since I am new "learner", I can not understand all you said.

I created the 3D Chinese Text using LightWave.

How I export it to 3DCoat?

PS:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148555-Chinese-Text

• Reputable Contributor

From 1st image, you can see the loaded 3D Chinese Text is still correct.

From 2nd image, you can see the 3D Chinese Text get wrong after "apply".

Can you share the model both as a lightwave and obj model. Do not triangulate the models upon export..That way it is possible we can help you faster.

Can you share the model both as a lightwave and obj model. Do not triangulate the models upon export..That way it is possible we can help you faster.

OK. Thank you, digman.

I have just recreated the 3D Chinese Text again.

BTW, I am  not allowed to upload .low.

post-39697-0-08161300-1445701368_thumb.p

post-39697-0-48508900-1445701386_thumb.p

post-39697-0-63261000-1445701397_thumb.p

post-39697-0-51469900-1445701413_thumb.p

Chinese Text for 3DCoat(triangulated).obj

Chinese Text for 3DCoat.obj

Edited by Leo Chen

• Reputable Contributor

First we all have our ways of working with models... I do not use Lightwave so what tools you have there I do not know.

I only worked on one letter just to go faster. I worked on the non-triangulated model.

First... Check to make sure you have no flip normals. Also on the model you have some missing edges as shown in one of the pictures. Check your model over and add new edges where needed.

I turned all the Ngons into quads using Wings 3D. It is a free box modeling program but has some good tools like creating hard edge smoothing groups and other tools like converting Ngons to quads. Now the model is all quads. Lightwave should have some feature like converting Ngons into quads. Check for plug-ins if there is not one by default.

Converted the necessary edges into hard edges. The picture that shows orange color edges, they are the hard edges.

Exported the model with smoothing groups intact. Imported the model (voxel mode) into 3DC using the import dialog panel. In the panel is the subdivide tab, I subdivided the model a few times. Ran smooth all (left tool panel at bottom) a couple of times to clean up the edges.

Imported the low polygon model as the retopo mesh.

Created a uv set

Baked for a normal map and applied a PBR material.

This is not meant to be a complete solution as you have your own way doing things but I hope it helps you...

post-518-0-68076200-1445709458_thumb.png

post-518-0-78878100-1445709485_thumb.png

post-518-0-63832600-1445709499_thumb.png

post-518-0-86862000-1445709509_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...