3DCoat Forums

[Sculpt Room] Can't reopen the lips

Go to solution Solved by JoseConseco,

• Contributor

I'm finishing up a retopo of a character, but at one point during sculpting, for some reason, I closed his lips and now I have intersecting geometry in this area. I cannot seem to find a way of reopening the lips, because all tools from the sculpt room are volumetric. This means that they affect any surface that is caught within a certain 3D radius around the centre of the brush. The model is too high-res to import it to other software that I have, so I cannot fix it outside of 3D-Coat. I mean I can import it, but working with it is near impossible.

Is there anything I can do to open those intersecting lips?

• Advanced Member
  • Solution

You could try 'quick pose' tool. Masking with this tool works in surface mode, but it lags on heavy meshes. You should just mark top lip, press expand few times, and then apply.

Edit. I just realized you can mask it with 'quick pose', and then move the lip with any other brush :)

Edited by JoseConseco
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Mr. Conesco - you are a genius and you have just saved my bacon. :) I would have never suspected that this single tool is able to grow selection, based on surface connectivity. In despair I began fixing the lips in Houdini (where Sculpt, Edit and SoftTransform SOPs are surface based), but it's very slow for hi-res meshes. And because my sculpture has vertex colours, I'd have to process it with MeshLab afterwards in order to transfer them from the original non-modified mesh, to a parametrized new one - to produce a texture map. All of this because 3D-Coat doesn't support vertex attributes. :( Not fun.

If you live in Warsaw, or you're planning to visit it - let me know. I'll buy you a huge beer. :drinks:

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

I managed to open the lips, although after struggling for a while with QuickPose, I ended up resolving the problem in a slightly different way. QuickPose turned out to be quite slow to grow the selection with and the results were slightly unpredictable. What did the trick is standard Smoothing, with which I gently massaged the areas around the opening with a brush of a relatively high radius. Note that I tried Powerful smoothing first in order to speed up the process, but it had a tendency to merge neighbouring vertices together and thus welding the mouth shut instead of opening it. :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Many tools would benefit from this optional mode. Sculpt tools, move, hide surface, freeze and pose selections (including selection grow), retopo room's brush tool.

Edited by ajz3d