3DCoat Forums

laptop going crazy

PollySong

Hi. I wanted to test the voxel painting thingie and downloaded the trial of 3D Coat 3 (alpha 24), but about a minute after I start the program, the fans in my laptop speeds up. After a while they speed up yet again and the computer is noticeably warmer. When the fans sped up a third time I closed the program for fear of overheating my computer. I have never experienced this before in any other 3d program, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my computer. I can paint very dense meshes in mudbox without the fans speeding up, for example. As soon as I close 3D coat, the fans slow down again.

Any idea what could cause this?

Amazing program, by the way! I keep coming back every now and then to check it out and if it keeps getting better like this, I'll buy it. :)

I just installed the trial version of 2.10, and it's the same. I tried SpeedFan and Everest to see what the cpu/gpu does and as soon as I enter 3D Coat, the temperature jumps from normal to almost overheating instantly.

3D-Coat renders frames constantly like a game. If you don't move mouse it gives some rest to CPU/GPU.

3DC really works as a game. If GPU is installed on PC, why it can't it be loaded?

But it is possible I will change render scheme to more power preserving.

Yes, I understand. But I haven't experienced this in any other software, not even in games. I can run Mudbox, Modo and Maya (all with a lot heavier scenes than the one I tried in 3D coat) in my work without this happening. I can even play Stalker and Team Fortress 2 on the same computer and it doesn't heat up as much. It might be driver problem or something else, but I don't think it's normal. All I did in 3D coat was to load the default head and started using the retopology tool on it.

3D-Coat renders frames constantly like a game. If you don't move mouse it gives some rest to CPU/GPU.

3DC really works as a game. If GPU is installed on PC, why it can't it be loaded?

But it is possible I will change render scheme to more power preserving.

• Advanced Member
Yes, I understand. But I haven't experienced this in any other software, not even in games. I can run Mudbox, Modo and Maya (all with a lot heavier scenes than the one I tried in 3D coat) in my work without this happening. I can even play Stalker and Team Fortress 2 on the same computer and it doesn't heat up as much. It might be driver problem or something else, but I don't think it's normal. All I did in 3D coat was to load the default head and started using the retopology tool on it.

PollySong, I experience this on my laptop also, and was also a little concerned with how the fans instantly kick in as soon as 3dcoat is loaded. I experienced (albeit to a much lesser degree) similar fan activity with the Mudbox Beta but it really isn't to the same extent as with 3DCoat.

I'm also finding it extremely slow to paint or sculpt on anything that isn't a primitive. the Brush seems to strobe significantly on any mesh that has been displaced or retopologised and hull merged back into the scene. I have no idea of the tech behind the brush engine but I hope that given time to mature it will improve in the future. To be honest I don't really mind about all the voxel sculpting etc. I hope one day I'll be able to paint on the mesh with similar speed that I can in Photoshop or Painter.

The features in 3dCoat are amazing. What let's it down for me at the moment is brush speed.