3DCoat Forums

UV-Space other than 0.1 possible?

Onkelpoe

Go to solution Solved by ajz3d,

hello,

it´s me again, comming up with some nooby questions, here.

Is there a way to place UV-shells/islands in UV-Space, other than 0-1?Like "expanding" along the U-axis to the right?

And/or how to make UVs "per Material"?

Kind Regards

Edited by Onkelpoe

are you asking about this feature request ?

Import multi tiles as UVset option when importing a Retopo mesh

If yes fell free to add a +1 at Mantis

And a vote at our Trello site

https://trello.com/b/vniMPy5o/3d-coat-roadmap

ty

• Contributor
  • Solution

hello,

it´s me again, comming up with some nooby questions, here.

Is there a way to place UV-shells/islands in UV-Space, other than 0-1?Like "expanding" along the U-axis to the right?

It's possible, but the process is a little bit awkward.

You can create tiles in retopo room by creating UV-sets and assigning selected faces/islands/objects to them. At first, those UV-sets will be just that - UV-sets, and will remain in 1,1 UV grid. Don't worry about it. Now, in the Import object for per pixel painting, make sure you have Import tiles as UV sets disabled. To export the model with UV tiles, go to paint room and select File->Export model. Make sure that Export UV sets as tiles. This will treat each UV-set as a separate tile and will place them along the U axis.

There are several things that you need to know:

1. You don't have any influence on the order of tile placement. They're all put along U.

2. 3D Coat won't place tiles on V greater than 1. So, if you want UDIM for example, you'll need to move those tiles into place later in some other software.

3. If some of your UV-sets are supposed to be tiles and some you want to remain in 1,1 space, then it's not possible. That's because if Export UV sets as tiles option is enabled, all UV-sets will be treated like tiles and put in a horizontal sequence. So that UV-set that you wanted to remain in 1,1 will probably end up somewhere outside of this coordinate.

That said, what I do after exporting a model with UV tiles is that I open it up in some other program and move those tiles where I want them to be. At the same time I rename texture files according to UV tiles positions.

It's very tedious, but it works.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Thank you very much - saved me a lot of testing. So I will fall back on another app (Roadkill v1.1 standalone maybe)  ^_^

Hope we will see a better UV-space UDIM support soon - would be nice for creating HD textures

I have to find out a good workflow with Substance Tools, hope I can find some - would really like to use 3DC. Like it.

Like assigning material-ID groups to the low-poly, set seams "per material-ID/group", pushing around the UV island

in another app ... hmmm, but Roakill "kills" the material-info - so I have to "Roadkill" first, then assing materials

(maybe in Voidworld) - think UV will stay intact.... have to test and try further now...

But as long as workflow is not "a flow"... I will stay back, I guess.

Cheers!

Edited by Onkelpoe