3DCoat Forums

Text stamp

arumiat

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

Hi 3DC gurus

2 unrelated questions:

1 ) I'm trying to get this effect in 3DC whereby I can stamp text onto a mesh at high resolution.

I can see under the surface sculpting tools that there is a text tool, however when I try and select a custom font it's not allowing me. 

Is it possible to do the above using custom fonts and if so any tips for use?

2) Is it possible to set an internal wall thickness for an STL file in 3DC?

Thanks in advance!

1) Not exactly as done there since that is using a deformer, but yes, you can achieve the same end result by sculpting it. Since the text tool isn't working for you (that sounds like a bug BTW have you reported it?), you can use the font & text you want in an image, then use the image as a mask, or brush in 3DC to stamp it down as a sculpted detail.

2) Yes. It is done in the voxel room, with the merge tool>merge as skin (with this turned on, you'll have some more options for thickness). You can import obj, lwo, fbx, stl, ply dae, wrl and 3b formats. If you have a specific file you want me to test, post it up, I'll give it a shot. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Hi 3DC gurus

2 unrelated questions:

1 ) I'm trying to get this effect in 3DC whereby I can stamp text onto a mesh at high resolution.

I can see under the surface sculpting tools that there is a text tool, however when I try and select a custom font it's not allowing me. 

Is it possible to do the above using custom fonts and if so any tips for use?

2) Is it possible to set an internal wall thickness for an STL file in 3DC?

Thanks in advance!

Another technique you could try is to arrange your text exactly how you like it, in Photoshop or Illustrator > export/save as .eps file or use a black background and leave the text white > save as .PNG. Now in the Voxel Room, in the E-Panel (upper left part of the UI, just above the tool panel...or just hit the E key), click on LOAD SHAPE. Find either the EPS file or the black and white PNG file (3D Coat will create a spline around the white text). If your current layer is in Voxel mode, select a tool like Clay, Build or even 2D Paint, hit the ENTER key to make it a voxelize object. If it comes in to rough looking, there probably isn't enough resolution on the voxel layer to capture all the sharp edges and such. Click on the Increase Res icon at the bottom of the VoxTree layer panel, to give it some more resolution BEFORE you hit ENTER, this time.

• Reputable Contributor

After you LOAD shape, you'll see your Text as a spline, in the viewport. There is a little menu toggle just above it and to the right. Click on that > choose TRANSFORM ALL > drag it over an object you want to merge the text with > choose your Clay brush in Voxel mode > ENTER. 3D Coat should project the text onto the object.

• Advanced Member

2) Yes. It is done in the voxel room, with the merge tool>merge as skin (with this turned on, you'll have some more options for thickness). You can import obj, lwo, fbx, stl, ply dae, wrl and 3b formats. If you have a specific file you want me to test, post it up, I'll give it a shot. :)

Cool, I exported my model and then

a. re-'imported it for voxelizing'.

b.I autoscaled,

c. selected 'merge as skin' and

d. set the number to 4, - I take it this is 4mm?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re the text stamp question I'll check out some tutorials on how to do what you both describe and let you know how I get on.

Thanks both!

Cool, I exported my model and then

a. re-'imported it for voxelizing'.

b.I autoscaled,

c. selected 'merge as skin' and

d. set the number to 4, - I take it this is 4mm?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re the text stamp question I'll check out some tutorials on how to do what you both describe and let you know how I get on.

Thanks both!

D: It is relative to the scale of your object, unfortunately there is no way to set explicit measurements with that function. That would be most helpful though. :)

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing your results.

• 9 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Abnranger,

I'm coming back to this feature of trying to stamp into a mesh. I created a image as you suggested (black background, white text), and using the carve tool I can carve out voxels based on the image. If the object is irregular in surface however it will give an irregular depth. 

post-38412-0-64033500-1423161108_thumb.p

It would be nice to project a fixed distance into an irregular mesh surface. It sounded like your second option could do that but I'm struggling to understand the load shape feature and workflow. Is there one of your tutorials you'd recommend?

post-38412-0-71295000-1423161177_thumb.p

Thanks in advance

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

You can also create your own Text alpha in Photoshop... It will give even intrusion or extrusion in the stamping.

For most uses it works well.

In Surface mode choose the Extude tool.

Now in the upper tool panel set the Extrude Direction to (Vertex Normal) You will get no stretching of the text this way as it rounds the curved object.

Select your Text alpha...

Set the height you desire.

Stamp away, have fun...

Picture uploaded to show the results and the Extrude Direction drop down list box...

Pm me for a Skype session for help on creating the alpha... There are a couple of things you need to know and much faster skyping than typing... LOL

post-518-0-70734700-1423173385_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, looking better but I take one more step to get rid of the jaggy nature of the edges as shown in your alpha stamp if that is was is causing it and not just a low surface mode polygon count.

Use Gaussian Blur to slightly blur the text... Yes, you will lose a tiny bit of sharpness, really not noticeable in the stamp on the surface mode object. Jaggy edges are very noticeable on a stamp at whatever degree they are.

Test a few Gaussian blur settings to get rid of the jaggy edges but still keep your text sharp or whatever alpha you are trying to create. Some alphas need a touch more some less.

I slightly blur all my alphas and esp if they are based off a polygon model...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I ran some tests..

- Original sphere was 250k tris

- Increasing resolution of sculpt got these effects:

post-38412-0-40181300-1423316284_thumb.p

1mil tris

post-38412-0-22246600-1423316296_thumb.p

3 mil tris

Adding gaussian blur in PS for these effects at 250k tris

post-38412-0-77772100-1423316330_thumb.p

Nice! So that's a super way to keep poly count low whilst getting a better stamp  ^_^

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

You could also use the Spline Text tool in the Paint Room > use Freeze mode in the Tool Option panel (it's in the "What to do" droplist) > apply the text as a Freeze Mask > CTRL+ SHIFT + I to invert the selection > go back to the Sculpt Room (your freeze mask will work in either room) > set your brush depth > use free form lasso or rectangle marquee in the e-panel to select across your text area > BAM...you have your extruded text without any perspective distortion

Make sure to stay in surface mode when doing all of this. Switching to voxel mode will undo any freeze selection

• Like 2