3DCoat Forums

Unable to paint at very edge of UV cluster?? :/

NE125

So this problem is incredibly annoying to say the least, and has resulted in me having to take the resultant png diffuse map into photoshop and remove the misplaced colors. It seems like the colors on the edge of one UV Cluster are bleeding/transferring to the edges of another UV Cluster. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to fix this? I just want to be able to paint along the edges normally, but it doesn't seem to want to do that. Here is a picture showing the problem:

post-38363-0-87719200-1396220911_thumb.p

So this problem is incredibly annoying to say the least, and has resulted in me having to take the resultant png diffuse map into photoshop and remove the misplaced colors. It seems like the colors on the edge of one UV Cluster are bleeding/transferring to the edges of another UV Cluster. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to fix this? I just want to be able to paint along the edges normally, but it doesn't seem to want to do that. Here is a picture showing the problem:

Edge of the island is taken from the ajacent island to make object seamless in 3D view.

• Reputable Contributor

This is really not a problem... You need texture bleed (padding) or you will have seams where the uv islands join. Painting texture bleed (padding) on flat 2D uv maps is not one I desire to have to do...

3DCoat does paint up to the edge of the uv islands (it will not paint over the texture bleed as that is an internal operation of 3DC)

You need a small brush if the uv islands are close together otherwise you can overlap unto another uv island if the yellow brush cursor goes over another uv- island in the texture editor.

Yes, use Photoshop if you desire to paint in the way you have chosen.

but 3DCoat does the job for us. If you to need to paint on the 2d flat uv set other than in the texture editor then invoke photoshop as your external editor using the ctrl key plus "P"

Photoshop is the default paint editor but you can choose anyone that supports true PSD files..

Edited by digman

Oh ok, so how do I work around this problem...is using photoshop along with 3d-coat the only way? Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately for texture culling (ie. a mask that can't be turned off which affects all layers at all times) there is no way to get around it in 3DC without also working in another paint app at the same time. Even the default meshes (like the lips for the default head) suffer from semi-unpaintable areas due to inacuracy.

Ideally 3DC would let you paint without culling while in the 2D view, but again, it's not possible atm. Maybe with 4.1 now being out and focus shifting to the paint room it will finally happen.

This is really not a problem...3DCoat does the job for us.

It is a problem, and it should be solved. In fact, it's one of the top 3 issues I have with the paint room (even have it listed in my sig for the past half year) because it actually interferes with the painting process on seams. Even if you go to an external app and paint over the problem area if you go back into 3DC it will try to re-cull the new paint automatically.

Don't assume just because you're ok with it that it hasn't caused problems for others.

Edited by PolyHertz

• 2 years later...

I agree, there should be some option to allow you to directly paint the texture seams if you desire to do so. I originally almost dropped 3d coat for this exact issue. Despite it being such an AMAZING program in everything else, it seemed like it took control from me over the one thing I thought it would GIVE me control when I bought it -- control over what and where I wanted to paint in my texture space!

I don't care if it's only the Albedo map you give me control over, I should have full control (natively) over at-least my texture-coloring if I need it. I do lots of low-res work, and using 3dCoat would be amazing for flow if it weren't for such pebble-in-my-shoe issues like these.

And to clarify why this is a problem to me personally:

I don't use all the fancy color channels for simple low-res models, and not everyone uses textures and UVs for static imagery anyway -- sometimes they slide the texture across the model, and other game-engine-relevant stuff.

Let me be clear -- I love 3d Coat. It does an amazing job doing what it does. But it has a PR issue. It feels wonky to new users for various reasons -- not the least of these offputting reasons are things like the subject of this topic.

This quirky but in-your-face sort of stuff is IMPORTANT to fix -- even if it's only for the sake of a single customer's perception. That customer has friends and they will mention how quirky things are, and they will also mention if they feel 3DCoat can't do what they ask it to -- and, bottom-line is, they'll go elsewhere.

At least allow an option to work on a given texture-channel with absolute control. Bottom-line is -- If the program needs to do something behind the scenes, it should STAY behind-the-scenes.

Edited by astraldata

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

Since the version 4.5.22 there is several options for padding method in Preferences.

Any help your workflow ? Which setting are you using ?

And which 3DC version do you have installed ? The last stable is v 4.7.06