3DCoat Forums

Hard edged sculpting

rsquires

I have for about a day now been trying to emulate this attached look. I found this example on the web and it is just the look I am after. From what I can gather it was done in .... ( yes I know we shouldn't mention it) zbrush.

When I try to emulate this look with the tools in 3D Coat it always seems to come out softer on the edges and to be honest I haven't got anywhere near something I am satisfied with. The tools just seem blunt in comparison to what is being achieved here. For instance the scrape tool doesn't really shear the surface off even with soft scrape turned off. It seems to create a more curved look than a very harsh scrape. The plane tool which I have also tried just gives massive artefacts. Is my mesh not dense enough?

So if anyone has any tips about how to go about this within 3D Coat I'd appreciate it. For instance should I rough in the gross shape as a voxel and then switch to Liveclay or surface mode to carve into the mesh. 

Also the examples I have seen are not near this in terms of quality. There is a subtlety to this and finish that I find very difficult to emulate. 

And if the answer is use zbrush then I'd appreciate the feedback. This has nagged me for so long now it's not true.

all the best

Richard

post-2249-0-36343200-1395122839_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Try doing an elongated Cube Primitive (basically a rectangle) in the Voxel Room.  Increase resolution of the layer it's one time.  Make sure you're in Voxel Mode.  Use the Scrape Tool with appropriate radius and just scrape away.  You'll find yourself cutting away at the surface to get the smooth shavings with hard edges.  I use the Brush setting at the top right a lot for things like this, but you can select any of them to see what works best for you.  Also, be sure to adjust the smooth and falloff settings as you brush to get further control.

• Like 1

Try doing an elongated Cube Primitive (basically a rectangle) in the Voxel Room.  Increase resolution of the layer it's one time.  Make sure you're in Voxel Mode.  Use the Scrape Tool with appropriate radius and just scrape away.  You'll find yourself cutting away at the surface to get the smooth shavings with hard edges.  I use the Brush setting at the top right a lot for things like this, but you can select any of them to see what works best for you.  Also, be sure to adjust the smooth and falloff settings as you brush to get further control.

Thanks. I ended up taking a different tack which was cutting chunks off a cylinder primitive and then cloning it and moving it around. Once I got a shape I liked I scraped edges and then finished off with a surface polish through a stone texture mask. Worked ok. I will try your suggestion as well though.

• Reputable Contributor

I never made rocks before but with some practice I would say that 3DCoat has all the tools available to make some good looking rocks...

The rocks were made in voxel mode but using the surface mode brushes on the left tool panel plus the cut off tool when I first started. They are saved as presets and making your own presets is being king... You rule over the brushes and they do your will... well, in most cases that is, always a few that are causing some rebellion... LOL

Artman's preset brushes are also very, very good...

I was testing getting some angular and smoother areas as well...

post-518-0-90440400-1395991813_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I have for about a day now been trying to emulate this attached look. I found this example on the web and it is just the look I am after. From what I can gather it was done in .... ( yes I know we shouldn't mention it) zbrush.

When I try to emulate this look with the tools in 3D Coat it always seems to come out softer on the edges and to be honest I haven't got anywhere near something I am satisfied with. The tools just seem blunt in comparison to what is being achieved here. For instance the scrape tool doesn't really shear the surface off even with soft scrape turned off. It seems to create a more curved look than a very harsh scrape. The plane tool which I have also tried just gives massive artefacts. Is my mesh not dense enough?

So if anyone has any tips about how to go about this within 3D Coat I'd appreciate it. For instance should I rough in the gross shape as a voxel and then switch to Liveclay or surface mode to carve into the mesh. 

Also the examples I have seen are not near this in terms of quality. There is a subtlety to this and finish that I find very difficult to emulate. 

And if the answer is use zbrush then I'd appreciate the feedback. This has nagged me for so long now it's not true.

all the best

Richard

You can also use the Plane tool to great effect, for this as well. Use it in conjunction with the Scrape tool in Voxel mode (maybe use the absolute brush draw mode in the E-Panel + a hard-edge brush alpha), and/or the Flatten and Chisel Brush in Surface mode. If you have some tools/brushes adjusted/working the way you like it to, save it as a Preset, so you can quickly get to it