3DCoat Forums

Sony has dramatically dropped it's prices on its new 4k monitors

• Advanced Member

The 55" was almost $5000 in the spring, now it's down to $3500 for the 55".

I want one bad...when I get my new computer in March (and it will be a monster with over 64 gigs of the new DDR4 RAM) I'm going to get me on of these soon after. And I'm not into TV at all...but as a monitor it will be amazing.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&searchType=search&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&productId=8198552921666597704#accessories

The 65" has gone to $4999

and the 85" (OMG) is $24999

Well I suppose I'll have to pass on the 85" :(

But 55" will be an amazing canvas to work on. I'd rather have one of those than a top of the line Cintique.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

LOL

Seriously, I prefer my two 24'' well calibrated monitors. I find it more useful than having a large one. 

If one of them was a cintiq 24 I could be happier but can't afford the cost. 

However I bought an intuos 5 large recently. This fits well on a 24'' monitor. 

Planning for a new computer in the next year. Something with twice the performance of my 2xXeon 16 threads 24GB machine. Else, I don't see a reason to upgrade. 

• Contributor

Cintiq are a constant disappointment, don't fall for it, intuos are the way to go, or WERE, they decided intuos was too high quality so they merged all their model lines into a basic "intuos" one to make it crappier and make the cintiq look more high quality (which couldn't be less true).

As for 4k monitors, well I tried with  3dc, I couldn't see the dot cursor, even less the symmetry dot, so... no thanks.

• Advanced Member

Cintiq are a constant disappointment, don't fall for it, intuos are the way to go, or WERE, they decided intuos was too high quality so they merged all their model lines into a basic "intuos" one to make it crappier and make the cintiq look more high quality (which couldn't be less true).

As for 4k monitors, well I tried with  3dc, I couldn't see the dot cursor, even less the symmetry dot, so... no thanks.

I was afraid of something like that...that and all the icons on your various programs being too tiny to  see.

:(

• Contributor

It's not something un fixable, with a pixel doubling option on those cursors Andrew could solve it easily. I told him on twitter no news since then,  I guess the issue will rise again after a few peeps get the hardware :)

Andrew needs to do something about the symmetry dot tough, even in standard 1080p we have a hard time seing if we're using symmetry or not, the black cursor looks tinier than the normal one (2x2 pixel vs 4x4 on normal), it needs a bigger area of visibility imo, or contrast gizmo (zbrush use a double black/red edge and 6x6 )

(enlarged for comparison sake, with no filter):

zb3dcsym.jpg

On a large regular surface it may look like nitpicking, but with complex model it's easy to think you're not using symmetry, when you're ...

• Advanced Member

It's not something un fixable, with a pixel doubling option on those cursors Andrew could solve it easily. I told him on twitter no news since then,  I guess the issue will rise again after a few peeps get the hardware :)

Andrew needs to do something about the symmetry dot tough, even in standard 1080p we have a hard time seing if we're using symmetry or not, the black cursor looks tinier than the normal one (2x2 pixel vs 4x4 on normal), it needs a bigger area of visibility imo, or contrast gizmo (zbrush use a double black/red edge and 6x6 )

(enlarged for comparison sake, with no filter):

zb3dcsym.jpg

There's a symmetry dot in 3d coat? Seriously? I'm running a 24" 1920x1280 Samsung and I've never ever seen it.

OTOH, this has really dropped in price too...

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-YW27W-30-Inch/dp/B00C2RPW8O/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_6

Oh yeah it is there...I can baaarrreely see it.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime