3DCoat Forums

vertex color baking from 3d scanned models

geo_n

• Advanced Member

I remember voxels in 3dcoat can be painted and then exported with vertex colors directly without the need for uvmapping. It imports fine in lw even though the mesh is super dense. How about importing a mesh from 3d scanners and retaining the vertex colors. Is that supported in 3dcoat?

Here's videos from blender where they bake the vertex colors into a decimated mesh with uv.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?place=topic%2Fskanect%2F1ncC0ZGK9IY%2Fdiscussion#!topic/skanect/1ncC0ZGK9IY/discussion

Can we bypass meshlabs(decimate) and blender(uvmapping, baking) and just use 3dcoat for everything? I haven't tried loading 3dscanner mesh with vertex color in 3dcoat yet and don't know which room supports it.

Edited by geo_n

• Contributor

Well vertex color is imported in Surface Mode in voxel room, and is then painted inside the Paintroom.

Personnally I import using .fbx but it supports color in .ply and some other formats too.....

Of course you can import your lowpoly mesh with uvs over it and merge it to paint room and all vertex painting will  be baked  from the scanned mesh to the lowpoly.

• Advanced Member

Oh cool so 3dcoat can read vertex color from .ply too.

The decimation in meshlabs is to get a good lowpoly mesh from the highpoly scan mesh. Then the lowpoly mesh can be uv'd in blender then bake the highpoly scan mesh with vertex colors into it..

I'm not exactly sure if 3dcoat could autoretopo external 3d mesh without voxelizing. I remember I always imported 3d mesh and voxelized it before, potentially losing detail. I suspect this has changed and we can import external 3d mesh in retopo room to use autoretopo on it?

• Contributor

Oh cool so 3dcoat can read vertex color from .ply too.

The decimation in meshlabs is to get a good lowpoly mesh from the highpoly scan mesh. Then the lowpoly mesh can be uv'd in blender then bake the highpoly scan mesh with vertex colors into it..

I'm not exactly sure if 3dcoat could autoretopo external 3d mesh without voxelizing. I remember I always imported 3d mesh and voxelized it before, potentially losing detail. I suspect this has changed and we can import external 3d mesh in retopo room to use autoretopo on it?

You never needed to voxelize it :) ...import in Surface mode using merge tool with "Merge without voxelizing" or use "import for vertex painting" from file menu(it will do the same thing).

Then you can use the autopo routine from vox tree (you cannot use autopo from retopo room...it just send it to retopo room).

Alternatively you might want to  wait for new beta as autopo seems to have gone under some massive improvements by Andrew those last weeks.