3DCoat Forums

Recommendations for Zbrush to 3dcoat Ptex workflow (on Mac)?

GoldmanSaxMan

• Contributor

There is no Ptex in Zbrush yet. Zbrush uses "polypaint" which is more commonly known as "vertex painting".

You can also vertex paint in 3D-Coat. Importing OBJs from Zbrush into 3D-Coat will retain their vertex paint information.

Therefore you can paint your models in either Zbrush or 3D-Coat and send them back and forth between the two at any time by using Export and Import (OBJ format).

When importing OBJs from Zbrush, in 3D-Coat use File-Import-Import Mesh for voxelizing. A dialog will pop up. Click on the checkbox called "Merge without voxelizing". Then use the scale gizmo in the viewport to scale up your model to desired resolution, and finally click on Apply. If you do not click Apply, then nothing will happen.

If you want, you can first use Ptex in 3D-Coat and then send your texture maps to Zbrush.

To do this, paint your model in 3D-Coat (using Ptex), then choose File-Export Model. In the export dialog you can choose to export texture maps.

An OBJ will be exported, as well as your texture maps. The OBJ will have Ptex UVs generated automatically.

Then go to Zbrush and import the OBJ. Then go to the Texture Map panel in Zbrush, click on the texture map thumbnail preview there, and then choose import from the pop-up.

You can import the texture map from 3D-Coat, and it will be applied to the OBJ.

Don't forget that you need to first flip that map vertically for it to work correctly in Zbrush (you can use Photoshop for that). Also, I think that Zbrush will not allow TGA format, so pick a different format when exporting from 3D-Coat, or convert the format to something Zbrush will accept (Photoshop PSD for example).

Edited by TimmyZDesign
  • Like 1

Hi

I need to work over a polypainted model from ZB

Everything is ok with the import... but the polypainted data is in Layer0

i need Layer0 free, just to sculpt without paint artifacts and to add more paint detail

How can i move the vertex paint from Layer0 to another layer and let the Layer0 in default state ?

ty in advance and regards

• Reputable Contributor

I do not think it is possible to move the paint from layer 0 at least I have not found one yet...

The best you can do for now is create a layer above layer 0 and fill it with 128,128,128. That is the grey color of the default shader. Then use your regular sculpting shader in the voxel room. The shader will mask the painted grey on Layer '1"

When done sculpting delete the grey layer.

Of course you can go "View / Relief Only" but all you get is the grey color of the relief view.

You can dock your PaintRoom layers in the Voxel room to quickly turn off layer "1" to view the vertex colors when you so desire.

If you put in a Mantis request to have the paint layer on imported vertex painted objects to be put on layer 1 if this is possible, I will for sure plus +1 the request...