3DCoat Forums

Additive Depth Painting Issue?

sgoon

Hi,

First, great tool. I'm a long-time ZBrush user who needs a real low-poly texture painting tool for games, and so far 3d coat is looking great (just downloaded the trial). The only issue I've had so far is that I keep getting in a state with depth painting where I can't paint on an area that has already had depth painted on. I do have Additive Depth off, so maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly how it works.

My expectation was that Additive is for "building up" depth, so if I set Depth to 10%, it will add 10% with each stroke. With additive off, I would expect my stroke will always set the depth to exactly 10%, overwriting whatever depth was painted in the first place (just like any other 2d paint tool). Currently, with additive off, it has no effect on areas where I've already painted depth, even if that depth is dramatically different than what I had previously set. Basically, it seems like, with additive off, it actually masks out the strokes against the existing depth paint. If that's intentional, I would love an alternative mode to allow what I'm attempting to do, and if its not intentional, I'm happy to provide a repro project. Thanks!

-Sean

• Contributor

Hello.

I've been complaining about depth (and specularity) being additive only as well:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11354&hl=

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11385&hl=

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1026

I'm sooo glad I'm not alone in my rants about certain dev decisions.

Having to use workarounds for these issues is a real time waster.

Those two are of the very few, but very critical issues I have with 3D Coat V4. :dash2:

Ah, I thought that might be the case. I definitely think this is an issue, though not a huge one. Its just an inconsistency with how other graphics software usually works. The current implementation is more like additive and masked. Anyway, one solution, without changing the existing function would be to add an "override" checkbox/radio button next to the additive one (3 radio buttons makes more sense, "additive, masked, override). This would I assume be a pretty easy addition. If the SDK allows tool modification, might even be a trivial plugin to write.