Notice about Feature Requests & Bug Reports

The bug reporting and feature request forums (except for the Urgent Help section) are going away soon! Please use Mantis to report any bugs and feature requests. the link to Mantis is:
3d-coat.com/mantis/

Read more about it HERE.

Photo

3D-Coat 3.0 ALPHA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4486 replies to this topic

#121 splodge

splodge

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hi Andrew!,

Undo and Smooth seems to be broken in 'Draw with Pen' mode in the latest update.

I hit Undo and nothing happens. At other times undo will cause the entire model to vanish.

Holding the shift key for smooth operation doesn't seem to do anything but draw.

#122 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

Updated the link. Symmetry was forgotten. About undo & smooth - really it does not work in draw with ped & pinch modes. I will do it soon.

#123 tree321

tree321

Novice

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

Thanks again Andrew. Love these frequent updates to play with.Working on a Volume sculpt now, just need more detail tools to finish it.

#124 Juan Carlos Montes

Juan Carlos Montes

Novice

• PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:39 AM

Hi Andrew
I work like 2 hour with the beta here my progress and few bugs.
cara.jpg

I found it a bit difficult to make small details, we are going to be able to subdivide the model? or that going to be in conjunction with normalmaps?
or ma bey am totally wrong lol.

Bugs
when I save the model an open it again, the Symmetry plane seam to be scale.

The Pinch tool it not working like it should be or mabey i doesn't notice in small areas. It doesn't have the Smooth option like the other tools.

The snake, spike curve, and merge tools are leaving artifacts when you use it with the Ctrl key.

Here is a video capture showing some of the bugs its like 56 megs i think.
<a href="http://screencast.com/t/cCyycyk6t" target="_blank">http://screencast.com/t/cCyycyk6t</a>

#125 blugenwitz

blugenwitz

• 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

I really hope that curve modeling will be expanded in v. 3. 3d Coat can be perfect tool for fast industrial design prototyping - cutting with curves its a good idea, but i think curves needs to be more like in illustrator or - better - like in rhino/moi. Now I, for example, can only draw circle and it cuts a shape. But I need it to make boolean intersect, or move it, or snap to something... But I'm really in this - and will watch this thread very closely. I know majority thinks about it as a free form modeling, but for hard surface prototype modeling, with this price, it will be a gem.

#126 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

I really hope that curve modeling will be expanded in v. 3. 3d Coat can be perfect tool for fast industrial design prototyping - cutting with curves its a good idea, but i think curves needs to be more like in illustrator or - better - like in rhino/moi. Now I, for example, can only draw circle and it cuts a shape. But I need it to make boolean intersect, or move it, or snap to something... But I'm really in this - and will watch this thread very closely. I know majority thinks about it as a free form modeling, but for hard surface prototype modeling, with this price, it will be a gem.

Curves functionality will be improved very much. At least:

- multi - branced curves with shared vertices
- multi - profile curves - evry vertex in curve has own 3D profile, size, rotation
- procedural layers that consist of curves with boolean add/subtract

#127 BluEgo

BluEgo

Novice

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

I have updated the link (ALPHA-05). Actually this is result of one day work because today's work is essentially not finished. I worked over essential improving of transistion speed voxels<->surface but not finished.
Changes of current alpha:

1) Possibility to cut surface like a butter with rectangle/ellipse/curve as it shown below:
Posted Image
2) First results of surface approach - draw with pen and pinch tools. It is very easy to add full set thete - it will be done soon. But transition surface<->voxels is slighty long.
3) Many bugfixes, better look of red sphere.

About mac - all what is made is absolutely cross-platform, so there is no problem to compile on mac - only bureocracy - send sources to mac guy, put on server...
Maybe I will compile mac version soon also.

Great !
I am trying this alpha, is really funny :)
Anyway I think that, as you told, transition surface<->voxels could be very long on greater surface.
Is not t possible to make standard tools like pinch, pen and smooth working directly on voxels instead of on surface ?

#128 blugenwitz

blugenwitz

• 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thats great :)!

#129 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

Great !
I am trying this alpha, is really funny :)
Anyway I think that, as you told, transition surface<->voxels could be very long on greater surface.
Is not t possible to make standard tools like pinch, pen and smooth working directly on voxels instead of on surface ?

The transforming of surface will be faster because it will be done only over dodified part of object.

#130 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Link updated. Crictical bugs mentionad by Juan fixed.

#131 Dilla

Dilla

• 18 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

- procedural layers that consist of curves with boolean add/subtract

Does that mean that volumetric sculpting will generally support layers?

#132 Christoph

Christoph

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

Hi Andrew.

This Volumetric Sculpting is great even in this alpha stage. Good work!

I will like to know this please.

-Do you have plans to add multiple subdivisions like in poly-sculpting..?..So this way work big changes in the lowest subdivision and small details in the highest subdivision...

-Any news about the Move Brush, i`m waiting for that one.....?

Thank you very much and again good work!

#133 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:48 AM

I may be misunderstanding one of Andrew's earlier posts. Am I to understand that switching between volumetrics and polys is there but just not fully functional (and I just don't know how to do it), or it's not fully functional yet, but it's also not yet in the versions we downloaded?
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#134 Andrew Shpagin

Andrew Shpagin

3DC creator & admin

• 3D-Coat Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hi Andrew.

This Volumetric Sculpting is great even in this alpha stage. Good work!

I will like to know this please.

-Do you have plans to add multiple subdivisions like in poly-sculpting..?..So this way work big changes in the lowest subdivision and small details in the highest subdivision...

-Any news about the Move Brush, i`m waiting for that one.....?

Thank you very much and again good work!

Now I only know how to increase subdivision level. It is easy and I will make it soon. Decreasing is not so obvious...
About move - it is in process.
Now I am in a short trip, will be back sunday, so there is some small delay.

About surface/vox approaches - you are automatically changing approach while pressng buttons "Pinch" and "Draw" (surface appoach) and other (volumetric approach) Changing voxel->surface is immediate, surface->voxels takes some time.

#135 philnolan3d

philnolan3d

Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

• Interests:3D, martial arts, anime, gaming, contact juggling

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:53 AM

About surface/vox approaches - you are automatically changing approach while pressng buttons "Pinch" and "Draw" (surface appoach) and other (volumetric approach)

I noticed this during a test earlier today. I used Pinch to sharpen up an area, then when I went back to Carve it seemed to undo the pinch i just made.
Phil Nolan
Generalist
www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - Google+
Desktop: Win8.1 Pro x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
Laptop: Vista Home Prem x86, Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8600M GS, 2GB RAM

#136 rimasson

rimasson

Novice

• PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:CG, photo, art, music, book, and movies.

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:05 AM

The pinch act on the triagulated gometry created from the voxels, and pinch it.
When you return in voxels mode, the surface looks smoother, because of the voxel resolution limit.
Win XP 64 Pro
Inter Core 2 Duo , 6420, 2.13 Ghz
3.25 Go ram
Quadro Fx 1500

#137 SonK

SonK

Novice

• PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:3DCG!, video games.

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

The pinch act on the triagulated gometry created from the voxels, and pinch it.
When you return in voxels mode, the surface looks smoother, because of the voxel resolution limit.

i do not like that behavior, because i feel like i have no control over my mesh. Jumping to voxel mode smooth it out..it kind of defeat the purpose of the pinch tool. Pinch area should stay the pinch.

One last thing. the Draw with pen tool, if you hold down Left mouse button over the same area it'll create a spike..that's gotta be a bug? I think it should be consistent like it was in last alpha. Currently, it'll be impossible to paint a level stroke across a mesh.
Freelance Character Artist

#138 3DArtist

3DArtist

Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:41 AM

One last thing. the Draw with pen tool, if you hold down Left mouse button over the same area it'll create a spike..that's gotta be a bug? I think it should be consistent like it was in last alpha. Currently, it'll be impossible to paint a level stroke across a mesh.

If i understand correctly, this is how sculpting acts in 2.10. It does make sculpting more difficult.

Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

web: gregcopin.com

#139 bobzilla

bobzilla

Novice

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

I thought it was just me doing something stupid!

I'm on a Mac so I haven't been able to play with the new alpha, but it definitely happens in Sculpt mode.

I haven't figured a way to control it either.

Basically, you just wind up making a porcupine!

#140 mAXWELL

mAXWELL

Neophyte

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for your effort!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users