3DCoat Forums

A Lighting setup for Occlusion

blackant Master

• Advanced Member

Calculate Occlusion is one tool i use always on my models.

but recently, worked on a lamp and thinked:

"hey! it's all black inside, where the light will be bright !!"

so it's why i came here, it should be nice to be able to place lights manually for occlusion backing.

• Contributor

Hello. :)

Calculation of ambient occlusion has nothing to do with lights, although I think I've once read about some workarounds to render AO and lights into a single pass in Maya, if I remember correctly (or was it about how to exclude parts of AO pass with lights pass? I'm not sure).

I'd just manually erase unwanted black areas from the AO layer.

• Advanced Member

hi,

i'm not agree with you, when you use AO inside "dc you should set how many lights you want around your object to simulate a sky ambiant...

so it use lights, isn't it ?

i don't works on maya, i use max and i can bake the AO inside as well, but because i works with 3DC, why should i use max to this?

i egally use white on the ao laayer to erase those artefacts, but if it could be done without any help, it should be nice.

• Contributor

Ah, yes of course. Pardon me Blackant Master. I forgot 3D Coat utilises spotlights to calculate occlusion in the Paint Room instead of a more traditional method. I guess I'm a little bit confused today. :rofl:

Andrew recently implemented those influence spheres for local tweaking of raycasting scan depth. You know, you move them around, set radius and attributes, etc. I believe that if your idea was accepted, then half of the implementation is already there, at least the graphical representation and user interaction. The other half probably being: moving this to Paint Room and linkage of spheres with spotlights in the same way the invisible hemisphere works, but with reversed normals so spotlights would point outwards. Anyway, the thing is that the result might not be exactly how you would expect it to be. Especially if a geometry separating the ambient hemisphere and the custom one is to be made out of some transparent glass shader later on in a 3rd party rendering package. You'd still have to do some cleaning up of an AO map to do think.

P.S. Hey, I think it couldn't be called "ambient" any more. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can we please have some serious AO? The current solution is outdated and doesn't create useful results. AO should be baked by using Occlusion rays and not lights. It would be really great if 3D Coat could handle this like other software does instead of using "tricks" trying to imitate real AO.