3DCoat Forums

Auto-save warning

philnolan3d

I'm not sure how this could be implemented best, but it would be great if there was some way to show a warning before the auto-save kicks in. That way it wouldn't just pop up in mid brush stroke. MudBox has a timer that will start flashing red in the corner of the screen after a set amount of time to remind you to save. Perhaps if something could blink maybe 15 or 20 seconds before the auto-save starts then you could have time to finish what you're immediately doing.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented best, but it would be great if there was some way to show a warning before the auto-save kicks in. That way it would just pop up in mid brush stroke. MudBox has a timer that will start flashing red in the corner of the screen after a set amount of time to remind you to save. Perhaps if something could blink maybe 15 or 20 seconds before the auto-save starts then you could have time to finish what you're immediately doing.

That has sense. Ok, I will add back counter in last 30 s before AS.

Another thing about Auto-save. It seems to hold off on saving until the program is active. So what happens is, I'll work in 3DC for a bit, then go do something else on the computer, then when I come back to 3DC it saves as soon as I make it active again. I frequently jump around between programs doing various things at once so that tends to happen a lot. So I'm typing in this forum or something and think "ok now I'm ready to go back to work" but as soon as I open it it starts saving, so I have to wait.

It seems small but gets annoying after it happens a few times.

Another thing about Auto-save. It seems to hold off on saving until the program is active. So what happens is, I'll work in 3DC for a bit, then go do something else on the computer, then when I come back to 3DC it saves as soon as I make it active again. I frequently jump around between programs doing various things at once so that tends to happen a lot. So I'm typing in this forum or something and think "ok now I'm ready to go back to work" but as soon as I open it it starts saving, so I have to wait.

It seems small but gets annoying after it happens a few times.

So, is it better to postpone autosaving time if you are in "alt+tab"? Or it is better to make it while program is inactive?

Probably better to do it while inactive. Of course in addition to that it should only save if changes have been made. Suppose I save it myself and then leave it alone all day. Seems kind of silly for it to keep saving every 15 minutes or whatever if there's nothing new to save.