3DCoat Forums

Persp Camera FOV

David Schoneveld

• Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed the camera in 3DC is somehow unlike camera's in other 3D packages? I kept being confused that at some distances the distortion wasn't was I was used to and seemed therefore unnatural. the zoom seems the be the root of the issue but I can't really tell. Sometimes I zoom in or out and the lens distortion seems way off.

I thought the fix might be simple. Maya, and most autodesk software, uses a 54.43 Field of View (FOV) and 3DC uses 50. Now 50 is supposed to be the natural human eye, and should look better. But I think its more than that. I think there might be some different math in the way the camera moves/displays.

Is it that the camera doesn't move in 3D space all the time and sometimes only zooms like a lens zoom while maya never zooms the lens it just moved the camera in 3D all the time? I don't know but its been bothering me since day 1.

edit I thought this might be simple but its not.

• Reputable Contributor

I think 3DCoat is a little different in how it does it FOV.

38 FOV seems to closer to human vision in 3DCoat. The higher you go from there the FOV depth lens distortion becomes greater. The lower you go the Depth FOV gets closer to an othro view.

Now the above is subjective but it seems to work that way...

• Advanced Member

yeah I can't tell for sure apples to apples to maya b/c I can set the 3DC camera position exactly. But yeah I at first wondered if the camera should be 35, or 54 FOV. In maya there are 2 settings for FOV that are connected, angle of view (54.43) and Focal Length 35.