3DCoat Forums

Last week I was working over making 3D-Coat cross-platform. My friend Sergey Krizhanovsky has made cross platfirm engine and last week I was busy by replacing old graphical engine with new one. It was very hard work, only 5 days was spent to compile and link program with new engine. New engine will give improved speed, OpenGL/DirectX render, very nice handlerd like in Maya. I hope to finish my part of work this week. Then Sergey should make some final changes in 3D-Coat to make it cross platorm. It is possible that Mac version will be done until the end of june (official deadline - 9 of july). So, from next week I will continue to improve functionality. At first, I plan to make retopo tool. Also, I can't wait to start volumetric tools. I was impressed by recent post of Frankie :) It seems to be more impressive then hard to do feature :)

• Advanced Member

I've seen once Raindrop Geomagic studio

This software, which is a Cad software has an automatic resurfacing tool : It create on the fly an automatic network / surface on top of another mest (a 3d scan for example) based on the original surface curvature.

You have to spend some time however to have a clean edgeflow that fits your needs, that's why Geomagic has also tools to create by hand a custom retopo.

The other problem is Geomagic output mainly Nurbs surfaces... whic are not compatible with my workflow

I found interesting Papers that could help :

http://www.geometrie.tuwien.ac.at/ig/papers/tr145.pdf

http://www.cmis.csiro.au/hugues.talbot/dic...om/pdf/0099.pdf

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~mchung/papers/3DPVT.2006.pdf

• Advanced Member

Here are some ideas about topology tools :

The possibility to create a brand new mesh, or to start from an existing topology. (for example, if i want to change only a part of the model)

a tool to create strips of polygons, like Nex for Maya, or Silo.

Move and relax brushes

Straighten tool to straighten edge loops

Insert edge loop tool

Slide edge loop tool

Collapse edge ring tool

Mesh symetry tool.

The new topology should always stick to the original model, and should always be drawn on top of the original model (even if some faces intersect the original model)

And finally, a tool to reproject all the details of the original model on the new one.

I guess that's a lot of work.

• Advanced Member
Last week I was working over making 3D-Coat cross-platform. My friend Sergey Krizhanovsky has made cross platfirm engine and last week I was busy by replacing old graphical engine with new one. It was very hard work, only 5 days was spent to compile and link program with new engine. New engine will give improved speed, OpenGL/DirectX render, very nice handlerd like in Maya. I hope to finish my part of work this week. Then Sergey should make some final changes in 3D-Coat to make it cross platorm. It is possible that Mac version will be done until the end of june (official deadline - 9 of july). So, from next week I will continue to improve functionality. At first, I plan to make retopo tool. Also, I can't wait to start volumetric tools. I was impressed by recent post of Frankie :) It seems to be more impressive then hard to do feature :)

You made it faster? How is that possible ... :D

what about the Maya references? You lost me on that one..

I know some Mac modo users are going to be happy to hear of a Mac port of 3DCoat!

1. The new topology should always stick to the original model, and should always be drawn on top of the original model (even if some faces intersect the original model)

2. a tool to reproject all the details of the original model on the new one.

I guess that's a lot of work.

1. strongly agree

2. that would be most useful, but would that really be consider part of the retopology tool? Maybe 2.11 request instead :P

Nex is nice so is PolyBoost "PolyDraw":

<a href="http://hem.bredband.net/polyboost/PolyBoost3_video.avi" target="_blank">http://hem.bredband.net/polyboost/PolyBoost3_video.avi</a>

the downside to PolyBoost, and Nex is they only support quads polygon, which is fine if your doing a character for a movie. However game model usually will some triangle and n-gons(usually 5 sided), so supporting triangle/n-gon in the retopology tool would be important also IMO.

actually, you have to create Uvs in an external app. Topogun dosen't have Uv tools.

Yeah i was going to take the retopologized low res mesh into a external app and unwrap the UVs.

Hi Andrew,

I am so glad you are doing the Re-Topology.

You can download and try out Silo for 30 days I think. You will see that it is quite simple to paint onto an object where you want the flow lines and apply them as geometry. You can also build geometry using the modelling tools and the vertexes snap to the surface.

I find that the painting is not as accurate as it is in 3D-Coat and the process can be a little hit and miss - though you can delete lines. can be a little difficult to paint loops around a surface.

Using what you have in 3D-Coat as a starting point I would suggest you could make use of the splines you have currently that snap to the geometry. Using a series of these would be far better than the painting as is done in Silo as it would give you more control. End points of splines could be made to snap to other end points or parts of splines. I would like to see other types of guides - automated ones such as loop and ring, both closed.

Loops would be "Squeezed" round an object using a moveable origin, "squeeze" handle and a rotating normal adjusting the XZ plane and a configurable number of control handles. Once applied, the control handles can be adjusted for fine control of flow. Loops for circumferance/girth form definition.

Rings could be a variation of loops, but would be "pushed onto" the surface in the same axis as the normal adjusting the XZ plane. There could be an elliptical/aspect control and configurable number of control handles. Once applied, the control handles can be adjusted for fine control of flow. Rings for Eye socket, Mouth etc type detail.

Additionaly there could be a variation of the Ring tool that made a spider web mesh - with number of rings, control points per ring and aspect as variables.

These would allow a level of control to lay down the polygon flow that is currently lacking in Silo. If you need Images to get what I am going on about let me know.

While we are at it, I would like a spline that can snap to the UV boundaries defined in an object. This is useful in furnature stitch texturing as typically the UV seams are where you want the stitch lines and this would be a real tine saver!

Regards

3DBob

• Advanced Member
Hi Andrew,

I am so glad you are doing the Re-Topology.

You can download and try out Silo for 30 days I think. You will see that it is quite simple to paint onto an object where you want the flow lines and apply them as geometry. You can also build geometry using the modelling tools and the vertexes snap to the surface.

I find that the painting is not as accurate as it is in 3D-Coat and the process can be a little hit and miss - though you can delete lines. can be a little difficult to paint loops around a surface.

Using what you have in 3D-Coat as a starting point I would suggest you could make use of the splines you have currently that snap to the geometry. Using a series of these would be far better than the painting as is done in Silo as it would give you more control. End points of splines could be made to snap to other end points or parts of splines. I would like to see other types of guides - automated ones such as loop and ring, both closed.

Loops would be "Squeezed" round an object using a moveable origin, "squeeze" handle and a rotating normal adjusting the XZ plane and a configurable number of control handles. Once applied, the control handles can be adjusted for fine control of flow. Loops for circumferance/girth form definition.

Rings could be a variation of loops, but would be "pushed onto" the surface in the same axis as the normal adjusting the XZ plane. There could be an elliptical/aspect control and configurable number of control handles. Once applied, the control handles can be adjusted for fine control of flow. Rings for Eye socket, Mouth etc type detail.

Additionaly there could be a variation of the Ring tool that made a spider web mesh - with number of rings, control points per ring and aspect as variables.

These would allow a level of control to lay down the polygon flow that is currently lacking in Silo. If you need Images to get what I am going on about let me know.

While we are at it, I would like a spline that can snap to the UV boundaries defined in an object. This is useful in furnature stitch texturing as typically the UV seams are where you want the stitch lines and this would be a real tine saver!

Regards

3DBob

Oh God please don't use any curve/spline method its so slow and tedious. Painting strokes ala Silo would be alot faster then spline/curve method.

I don't mean NOT have sketch option, this is a given, I work with Silo and I'm looking for something better - It is just that sometimes in Silo it is difficult to get the loops connecting and the snapping splines would allow precise controlled laying down of topology lines in addition to sketched lines before poly mesh creation.

There are no modelling tools in Silo - but the splines are novel and could be utilised in the way they are already designed.

3DBob

the downside to PolyBoost, and Nex is they only support quads polygon, which is fine if your doing a character for a movie. However game model usually will some triangle and n-gons(usually 5 sided), so supporting triangle/n-gon in the retopology tool would be important also IMO.

...this would be a BIG downside for me.

Transferring to new engine - done. Some small quirks are still pending, but they will be fixed until the next beta.

One of benefits - easy making different handlers. I have put then in sculpt tool. I plan to add it in curve tool also. See the screenshots:

mrs.png

Also you will me able to move/rotate/scale the whole closed poly areas using handlers.

I have started retopo tool. I think it is important not only because of retopo tool itself but also like improvement to sculpt mode - you will get possibility to sculpt something essential from sphere using pair sculpt/retopo. Another application - making clothes.

• Advanced Member
Transferring to new engine - done. Some small quirks are still pending, but they will be fixed until the next beta.

One of benefits - easy making different handlers. I have put then in sculpt tool. I plan to add it in curve tool also. See the screenshots:

mrs.png

Also you will me able to move/rotate/scale the whole closed poly areas using handlers.

I have started retopo tool. I think it is important not only because of retopo tool itself but also like improvement to sculpt mode - you will get possibility to sculpt something essential from sphere using pair sculpt/retopo. Another application - making clothes.

Cool!

Retopo tool is done on 60%

Done:

- adding polygones on surface

- deleting edges/edgr loops between polygones

- tweaking(moving) verts, edges, faces, edge loops &rings

- splitting edge rings

- erasing faces

- adding quads strips (like in Silo)

- connecting vertices on polygon

Should be done:

- splitting single faces/edges

- symmetry

- mesh projection on new surface

- sliding vertices

- move/relax with pen

I think that most complex part was done.

How do you do with symmetry?

1) make one side of model and mirror

2) construct symmetical figure from the beginning

• Advanced Member
Retopo tool is done on 60%

Done:

- adding polygones on surface

- deleting edges/edgr loops between polygones

- tweaking(moving) verts, edges, faces, edge loops &rings

- splitting edge rings

- erasing faces

- adding quads strips (like in Silo)

- connecting vertices on polygon

Should be done:

- splitting single faces/edges

- symmetry

- mesh projection on new surface

- sliding vertices

- move/relax with pen

I think that most complex part was done.

How do you do with symmetry?

Usually I construct symmetrical mesh from the beginning, but for sketching volums.

So I think that to retopologyze mesh this is not necessary, cause you already see what was sculpted. So I think you can choice what you prefer :D

• Advanced Member

Will you be able to project the details of the old model on the new one ?

about :

choose what you prefer.

• Advanced Member

I also like the feature in topogun that unables you to subdivide your new topology while keeping it onto the surface of the underlying model. That way you can do a rough retopo with very few quads, subdivide and the subdivided mesh snaps to the surface, then you can tweak and so on.

Hi Andrew,

Sounds like the retopo tool is coming along nicely - thankyou for all your hard work.

I second Frankies call for a snapping subdiv process. Also when splitting poly loops / rings it would be great for the resultant geometry to snap to the underlying geometry.

3DBob