3DCoat Forums

How to Gum All The Way Around Evenly

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Folks,

I have a sculpt I'm working on and I want to gum an extrusion all the way around a leg joint. The problem is, even if I change the direction of the extrusion (Average/Normal/Vertex, etc.) I still get this problem, where the extrusion happens in one direction, but the back faces are pulled inward, instead of extruded outward. I want to gum it, but I can't seem to get this to work...thoughts?

Mesh to be sculpted:

AntSculptWithoutChange.jpg

Mesh with a gum working in front, like it should:

AntSculptWithChange.jpg

Sculpt is not evenly extruded around the entire leg joint:

AntSculptWithChangeBad.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Never mind...I just got what I was after using the Expand brush and Vertex Normal Direction...wasn't getting that with Gum a few minutes ago, but now it's working. I'm up too late and probably just making human mistakes. Night all.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Aha!! It wasn't just me being tired. I found a bug. If I gum with Vertex normal, or even extrude, it creates the same problem as before, but if i go to expand with those settings, it works. Then if I go back to using extrude or gum with those settings, it works. I'll put that in the bug thread.

Hi Robert!

Thanks for finding the bug. Have you seen Mantis yet? Andrew gets emails from Mantis reporting immediately and looks at it every day, it is likely to be squashed much more quickly if you submit to Mantis.

Here is the link:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

The tool that works best for that is the Pose Tool. Think of it as your Modeling tool in 3D Coat. Where you would select verts, edges and poly's and apply transform operations (including soft selection) in an external modeling application, the Pose tool gives you the same capability. You can see some of that in practice around the 23 min mark, in the following video:

• Like 1