3DCoat Forums

Destroyer Class Star Ship

David Schoneveld

• Advanced Member

efc_ship_wip.jpg

This is going to be for cut scenes in a game, one of 2 ships. There are some things I will add like antennas and small bits and pieces once I retopo this beast. Its basically done with the modeling and kitbashing of tinkerObjects (Man, I want to make my own kits for that tutorials anywhere for positive negative shapes? I know how to do the positive only) Anyway next step is retopo... not really even sure where to begin with this guy. Hopfully I can figure out a nice workflow for re-topo something like this. I've so many questions like if I bake a lot of the details down to normals, how do I texture those? I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Cool ships! Once your have your Normals done you can just paint details on with alphas using the bump channel and then a bit of "dry brushing" for a nice bit of battle damage maybe!...I'm like you ,figuring it out as I go....once I've figured it out,I can never remember for the next time and I have to figure it out again....doh!

ps what is your poly count by the way....just curious.

• Advanced Member

Dont take it badly, but what first raced through my mind: It looks like an oversized gun to me ;)

( i think because of this part under the bottom, that looks like a pistol grip )

But in the right enviroment (space), i would identificate it as starship without doubt. :D

• Advanced Member
ps what is your poly count by the way....just curious.

hah 23.8 million but its got a lot of sliced up layers so I think that might go down once its all merged.

Edit just merged it down to 15.7 million

chingchong actually a good way to make a space ship is to look at gun concept art and cut off the grip. Well good way in that I've photoshopped a few of those ideas but never made one. I tend to get inspired by some concept art, get a blocked in shape going then go off on my own. There are tons of places on this ship that once its got all the tiny lights and glowy bits it will look more star shippy.

• Advanced Member

First of all, very nice modeling!!! I like it.

Man, I want to make my own kits for that tutorials anywhere for positive negative shapes?

I don't remember where to find a tutorial.

But just import one of these objs in an editor and you'll see how it works.

Basically, construct the main mesh, name it as "_". Then, construct an enclosure on top of this and name it "_negative". Select the two meshes and export only selected.

That's it.

I used blender and renamed the data of objects.

• Advanced Member

Hey Thanks! I have a bunch of objects in Maya that I'll start to make a kit out of. I call it a junk file, hah bunch of crap. Question to anyone out there, when doing retopo, how do you get rid of the blue dots that go unused and in some cases magically off in space from the "Points/Faces" tool?

blueDots1.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Cool battleship! I like the shapes a lot.

If it is only for a cut scene, do you really have to retopologize?

I thought of a big blaster gun too, but I don't think it is a big problem.

If you look at Chris Foss designs, there is a huge amount of blaster shaped battleships.

I think the coloring will make all the difference in the end (And the big letters painted on it, like "Hangar A", etc...).

Keep on the good work!

• Advanced Member
If it is only for a cut scene, do you really have to retopologize?

good question. I guess 2 things I was thinking. One is texturing UV will be hard unless I do it all in 3DC. Also this ship is where the game takes place and is going to be a fully working starship. I have the lower poly version already cut up but as I build this version up, it moved past the point of working with the low poly rez. I also want to add more detail on a poly level, I want to sharpen up the edges, but maybe you're right. I'll spend a few more hours and see how much longer it will take.

the other thing is learning retopo in 3DC. I want to go through the process and learn the ins and outs of everything. The end goal is to be able to make game art as fast as possible in the time frame with the highest quality output, that can only be done with application mastery. I can already do anything in Maya and other programs. I decided 3DC is worth taking up to that level. So that's the other half.

• Advanced Member

Lesson learned. I realized I was over-retopo'ing the ship. making it WAY too high rez. Whats the point of baking to normals if I'm going to draw in all the details? Well the good part is I've been getting better at retopo, and learning the weaknesses/bugs (that I put in the appropriate thread). Anyway, I'm going to focus on key areas to build and then bake the details in the normal.

retopo1.jpg

• Advanced Member

Be careful. There must not be too much gap between High model and low model. For example, take a look at the red cross on your last pic

(the one at the very bottom of the screen shot). A flat quad will never be a good support to bake a hole. If your high model has nice beveled

edges around that hole, you can omit theme on your low mesh. But a flat quad, even with a normal map, will never look like a hole seen from many angles.

Good luck with the retopo! And with the Uvs!