• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

@Psmith, interesting story, thanks for sharing it.
In recent films, I recollect the movie "serenity". In a particular scene they assembled a laser canon on top of the space ship. It's the same canon we see on german WW2 U boats, or something similar.
All these are well known tricks. Why not? The problem is that, sooner or later all these produce a style. Here we are, this is the challenge, to change these styles. To be less predictable and more creative.
Libraries of objects are great, 3dc also followed the wave in first place, now comes Zb with more parametric libraries.
As I mentioned, all these goodies have a cost.
Yeah, Lucas films, scifi environment. I can't compare it with the exceptionally creative project on the back of space odyssey 2000 film.
Which happened to respect the empty vacuum of space and kept it soundless. Music only. Not sounding explosions, nothing. This movie, after so many years, stands ever green.
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#82 Tinker

Tinker

Novice

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

sculpt_hres.jpg
I don `t know whether I have the right to post it here, but I tried zbrush new "undo history movie" feature, if You are interested in:
http://vk.com/video_...eborder=%220%22

What about zbrush new tools. Yes they are cool. But we have used similar things in 3d-Coat over 2 years :)
  • chingchong likes this

#83 bisenberger

bisenberger

Novice

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

3DC and ZBrush both have there strong points. The biggest differnce for me is the presision and control you have in 3DC and It looks like Andrew is currently working to improve this even more.
GeoForce GTX 460, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

#84 The Candy-floss Kid

The Candy-floss Kid

Novice

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

The maintaining of polygroups within the insert brushes and the crispness available now of having connective poly modeling with the ease of dynamesh makes me most excited. For me polygroups offer so many quick posing and selection advantages. My admiration for Pixologic is how thoroughly they consider polygroup implementation into the process with each release .

#85 digman

digman

Expert

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Well, we as kids never had Kitbashing but a lot of Kitburning... We take all our old models, battleships, tanks, aircraft, then twist up old plastic bread bags and set the bags on fire.
We would bomb our models with hot plastic bombs, setting them on fire and finally put firecrackers in them blowing them apart... What fun we had,my brother and I. B)

#86 michalis

michalis

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Well, we as kids never had Kitbashing but a lot of Kitburning... We take all our old models, battleships, tanks, aircraft, then twist up old plastic bread bags and set the bags on fire.
We would bomb our models with hot plastic bombs, setting them on fire and finally put firecrackers in them blowing them apart... What fun we had,my brother and I. B)

:rofl:
+1
MACOSX,
3DC bug reports here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

#87 pixo

pixo

Novice

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hello sorry to disturb your discussions.

Zbrush or 3D Coat, it's matter of taste,with both you can achieve production assets.
We use Zbrush , 3D Coat and Mudbox here .

The big problems with these 3 softwares ... the pipeline integration (none existent),it's essentially due to the lack of scripting support (i meant a true scripting language not the ZB's joke).
This is mainly why you can easily find all these softs in the same company.

A soft integrated in a pipeline isn't easily removed (due to the investment)
and you rarely choose another solution than the one that you integrated,i have never seen that .

This is mainly why Mari is becoming the painter of choice in production, even if the painter himself is not far behind 3D Coat .
Actually i found the 3DC better for artistic purpose,but it's less production oriented.(script,float ,half,LUT,color space, and export are weird, not supported, or not flexible )

The true is that ZBrush ,Mudbox or 3D Coat can be removed too easily from a company.
Then it should become clear for software developers, there is a choice to do for the main dev direction, production or hobbyist .
It doesn't mean to forget one of the 2.

I personally think the rest is fanaticism, and continue to support 3D Coat in buying my license.
Ps: please excuse my English
  • chingchong likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users